LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm going to hope the 9ers make the playoffs, while watching them with a less-then-keen eye. I don't care anymore. I'm tired of this team, tired of the bulls**t from the second head coach in a row. Just tired of it. I'll watch, but I won't have any passion for this team anymore.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
I hope that, for your sake, you don't actually live your life with this same philosophy. Giving up on a season with half the games left to play, when only 2 games out of first place in the division is completely ludicrous. You can give up if you'd like but, don't come here and drag everyone else down with you...

You have to look realistically at the odds, which are astronomically against the Niners. There has never been a team in the modern football era, starting 0-5, to ever make the playoffs. Not one. Ever.

I have no idea why anyone would believe this team could go 2-6 the rest of this season, to even get to 8-8. We lost to a winless team in Carolina, and are 0-4 on the road. How have we improved so much that the playoffs are even in consideration? We have to leapfrog three teams, who are going to win some games the rest of the way themselves.

The bottom line is that the Niners would do something never accomplished before. Do you honestly believe Singletary is going to lead this team to a 6-2 record? Enlighten the board with any one indication.

I agree with you Maddog, but I will still watch because I just can't quit this team.

Im not even thinking about playoffs.

I watch to see the team humiliated to the point where they dump Singletary. Until then, the idea that he could coach the 2011 season, and continue his streak of cluelessness with this franchise is painful. Lose big, lose ugly and force Jed's hand.

i would hate to hang out with you.

I am quite charming in person, but I raise the question to you:

You did experience the Nolan years, correct? He did just enough every year to cling onto this job, but never moved the team into the playoffs, or even into serious consideration. Humiliation leading to a purge, is better sooner rather than later, unless we want to be in this same position two years down the road.

I don't know about you, but I am sick of this team losing year after year with coaches who don't know what they are doing. Find an experienced winner, who knows how to build a successful program, and move forward. Enough playing around with amateurs. Amateur hour should have ended years ago.

I can't understand this obsession with "proven" coaches. If a coach is truly proven, he's still coaching (i.e. Billichik). Otherwise he really hasn't proven enough (i.e. Gruden).

Walsh was an "amateur", Gibbs, Holmgren (in GB), Andy Ried, Billichik was not a "proven" winner, etc etc etc etc. You get someone who shows that they know what they're doing, and specifically knows what they're doing with QBs and the offense. Preferably who has experience finding and grooming top notch QBs, runs a complex offense, knows how to put together and coach an offensive line, and currently coaches at Stanford.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I hope that, for your sake, you don't actually live your life with this same philosophy. Giving up on a season with half the games left to play, when only 2 games out of first place in the division is completely ludicrous. You can give up if you'd like but, don't come here and drag everyone else down with you...

You have to look realistically at the odds, which are astronomically against the Niners. There has never been a team in the modern football era, starting 0-5, to ever make the playoffs. Not one. Ever.

I have no idea why anyone would believe this team could go 2-6 the rest of this season, to even get to 8-8. We lost to a winless team in Carolina, and are 0-4 on the road. How have we improved so much that the playoffs are even in consideration? We have to leapfrog three teams, who are going to win some games the rest of the way themselves.

The bottom line is that the Niners would do something never accomplished before. Do you honestly believe Singletary is going to lead this team to a 6-2 record? Enlighten the board with any one indication.

I agree with you Maddog, but I will still watch because I just can't quit this team.

I watch to see the team humiliated to the point where they dump Singletary. Until then, the idea that he could coach the 2011 season, and continue his streak of cluelessness with this franchise is painful. Lose big, lose ugly and force Jed's hand.

You did experience the Nolan years, correct? He did just enough every year to cling onto this job, but never moved the team into the playoffs, or even into serious consideration. Humiliation leading to a purge, is better sooner rather than later, unless we want to be in this same position two years down the road.

I don't know about you, but I am sick of this team losing year after year with coaches who don't know what they are doing. Find an experienced winner, who knows how to build a successful program, and move forward. Enough playing around with amateurs. Amateur hour should have ended years ago.

I can't understand this obsession with "proven" coaches. If a coach is truly proven, he's still coaching (i.e. Billichik). Otherwise he really hasn't proven enough (i.e. Gruden).

Walsh was an "amateur", Gibbs, Holmgren (in GB), Andy Ried, Billichik was not a "proven" winner, etc etc etc etc. You get someone who shows that they know what they're doing, and specifically knows what they're doing with QBs and the offense. Preferably who has experience finding and grooming top notch QBs, runs a complex offense, knows how to put together and coach an offensive line, and currently coaches at Stanford.

Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
4 way tie is looming. Don't stop.......believin!

Seahawks 4 4 0 L2
Rams 4 4 0 W1
Cardinals 3 5 0 L3
49ers 2 6 0 W1

BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

5 division games left.

ALOT of football left.

meh, I think MD's point is that in the long-run none of this matters. Troy Smith is not a long-term solution, and Sing has to go if we want to take the next step. So what if we win this garbage division? It doesn't mean squat in the long run. Sure we should all root for the players to come together, but in the long run we have to keep things in perspective.

Whoa.

Then why even watch football?

That's bandwagon sh*t.

You're only going to cheer when we have the ''perfect team''?

Stick with your team through thick and thin. I've waited a year for football. No draft pick is going to lead you to the Super Bowl in one year.

Seahawks 4 4 0 L2
Rams 4 4 0 W1
Cardinals 3 5 0 L3
49ers 2 6 0 W1

BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

5 division games left.

ALOT of football left.

meh, I think MD's point is that in the long-run none of this matters. Troy Smith is not a long-term solution, and Sing has to go if we want to take the next step. So what if we win this garbage division? It doesn't mean squat in the long run. Sure we should all root for the players to come together, but in the long run we have to keep things in perspective.

Whoa.

That's bandwagon sh*t.

Stick with your team through thick and thin. I've waited a year for football. No draft pick is going to lead you to the Super Bowl in one year.

You are a true fan. Gotta cheer on the team, through good and bad.

Seahawks 4 4 0 L2
Rams 4 4 0 W1
Cardinals 3 5 0 L3
49ers 2 6 0 W1

BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

5 division games left.

ALOT of football left.

Whoa.

That's bandwagon sh*t.

Who said anything about a perfect team? Did you even read my post? Who said anything about only rooting for them when they are doing well? I'm talking about a structural deficiency and you're talking about play on the field.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Nov 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:
If the 49ers win next week and the Cardinals beat the Seahawks then the 49ers are one game out of first place with seven to play. Two of those remaining games will be against the Cardinals and two others will be against the Seahawks and the Rams. The 49ers easily can pull into first place in this horrible division and even win it at 7-9. Mike Singletary has made the 49ers a bad team, but giving up on the season is pointless when the division could be worse than Singletary.

No team has made the playoffs after an 0-5 start... No division has ever been this bad.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

I think the decision is made to show Sing the door once the season is over. I am confident that decision is already set in stone. I think the only way Sing saves his job is with a playoff appearance and even a playoff win or two.

So what if Sing takes us to the NFC Championship or Super Bowl (both very unlikely), would you still want him fired?

I believe he is still learning on the job and would be okay with him as HC next year if we go deep in the playoffs. This would only happen if we went 7-1 with the remaining games, because I do not think 8-8 will win the division. I would be okay with Sing for another year if he took us deep into the playoffs, but accept nothing less. For us to go 7-1 and win a few playoff games would mean he got his act together or just got lucky!

If he takes us to the NFC Championship or Super Bowl, my opinion will change. However, let's be realistic here. The guy is a mess, and that is not going to change in a week or two, or five. He's still trying to explain his comments on Alex Smith this week, and there will be another crazy controversy with some player or another next week. It just shows the chaos on this team, from top to bottom.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
You know why it's not pointless, MadDog?

A. Because true 49ers FANS always find something in their team to look forward to.

B. With 8 games remaining in the 2009 season we went 5-3 with a much more brutal schedule than we have this year.

C. We went 5-1 last year against the NFC West. We have 1 loss to the NFC West and 5 games remaining. Winning those 5 games is 100% doable. That means we just have to win 1 of the 3 games vs TB (home game), GB, and SD (primetime game, we always show up for those)

Side-note: The sad thing about you is that in order save face on your crow eating, you'll root for the 49ers to never achieve what is entirely possible.

I understand that you do not feel our mediocrity, drama, chaos, lack of organization, and utter disfunction is a big issue. I do.

When battery acid is in your mouth, you spit it out, and not hope that the taste changes.

A. Because true 49ers FANS always find something in their team to look forward to.

B. With 8 games remaining in the 2009 season we went 5-3 with a much more brutal schedule than we have this year.

C. We went 5-1 last year against the NFC West. We have 1 loss to the NFC West and 5 games remaining. Winning those 5 games is 100% doable. That means we just have to win 1 of the 3 games vs TB (home game), GB, and SD (primetime game, we always show up for those)

Side-note: The sad thing about you is that in order save face on your crow eating, you'll root for the 49ers to never achieve what is entirely possible.

I understand that you do not feel our mediocrity, drama, chaos, lack of organization, and utter disfunction is a big issue. I do.

When battery acid is in your mouth, you spit it out, and not hope that the taste changes.

give me a break. You can root for the team and still be upset that it is mediocre. You can root for the team and hate the drama and chaos and lack of organization around and within it. You can root for the team and also hope that changes are made after the season.

And I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you should ever have batter acid in your mouth.

Don't pay attention to the drama and the BS then. This is football so just watch the game. Don't give up on the season. Yeah, I talk s**t about A. Smith, but so what. I still cheer the other guys on and the team. We aren't out until we are out.

There have been plenty of dysfunctional teams that got it together and made a run. A change at QB will surely cut the turnovers down, which should lead us to victories in the close games we already lost.
2 games back with 8 games left and 5 division games. Plus we lost some games due to turnovers and piss poor O.

Lets see what T. Smith can do before you write off the season. Maybe A. Smith was the battery acid taste in our Kool Aid.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM ]
It was pointless before it started. By going with Alex at QB, the season was over before it started.
lol, as bad as we are doing the big picture as it currently stands(908pm at 9Nov2010), lol, we are only two games outside of first place, lol, I would shoot for the playoffs if I were the niners, lol, it may not be as pointless as it looks right now,

give me a break. You can root for the team and still be upset that it is mediocre. You can root for the team and hate the drama and chaos and lack of organization around and within it. You can root for the team and also hope that changes are made after the season.

And I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you should ever have batter acid in your mouth.

I am rooting for my team....to lose. Singletary is clearly clueless as a head coach, and unless the fans want a decade of 6-10, 7-9 teams, they have to demand a change. Losing forces change, so the more we lose, the faster the change.

Stop delaying the open heart surgery. Get it over with, and get healthy.

Once Singletary is booted, then I cheer for the team again....because it has a chance to succeed.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Don't pay attention to the drama and the BS then. This is football so just watch the game. Don't give up on the season. Yeah, I talk s**t about A. Smith, but so what. I still cheer the other guys on and the team. We aren't out until we are out.

There have been plenty of dysfunctional teams that got it together and made a run. A change at QB will surely cut the turnovers down, which should lead us to victories in the close games we already lost.
2 games back with 8 games left and 5 division games. Plus we lost some games due to turnovers and piss poor O.

Lets see what T. Smith can do before you write off the season. Maybe A. Smith was the battery acid taste in our Kool Aid.

We also won both of our games "due to turnovers and piss poor O" from the other team. The bottom line is that this team is far too talented to play this poorly from week to week. The problems start at the top, and until that changes, this team will lose.
Share 49ersWebzone