LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.
So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

Wow. Normally, Maddog, I like your analysis but this one is WAY to speculative! You posted about things you don't don't / can't know anything about. With the labor uncertainty, teams aren't going to fire their coaches at the end of the year. After watching our division rivals yesterday the division is STILL up for grabs and to speculate about what a new coach is gonna do with 2 TE sets, or a two back system is just that. All we con hope for is either win the division or get good, high draft picks at the end of the season. IMO
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I don't think it is silly to believe we can go 5-0 with our remaining division games and win two of our three remaining non-division games. If Singletary learns to take his hands off of the offense, the sky is the limit.

The Rams at their place will not be easy.

The Chargers and Packers are likely losses. The Packers were very impressive last night considering all their injuries.

The Chargers are the best team in the league that is not playing like it...yet. They are ready to go on their second half save-the-coach run. They get some key guys back. Too much talent to think they will not thump the 49ers.

The Bucs are 5-3 and are getting improving play from Josh Freeman. They will not be easy.

Realistically, I don't see any wins outside the division in the second half. 4-4 is the most likely and that is assuming Troy can become something he has not been the past three years.

6-10 looks like the most likely scenario.
Originally posted by ALL-KNOWING:
Were going to win the west .................End of post

I think you might need some red squares under your name for people to be convinced...

Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
I hope that, for your sake, you don't actually live your life with this same philosophy. Giving up on a season with half the games left to play, when only 2 games out of first place in the division is completely ludicrous. You can give up if you'd like but, don't come here and drag everyone else down with you...

You have to look realistically at the odds, which are astronomically against the Niners. There has never been a team in the modern football era, starting 0-5, to ever make the playoffs. Not one. Ever.

I have no idea why anyone would believe this team could go 2-6 the rest of this season, to even get to 8-8. We lost to a winless team in Carolina, and are 0-4 on the road. How have we improved so much that the playoffs are even in consideration? We have to leapfrog three teams, who are going to win some games the rest of the way themselves.

The bottom line is that the Niners would do something never accomplished before. Do you honestly believe Singletary is going to lead this team to a 6-2 record? Enlighten the board with any one indication.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope that, for your sake, you don't actually live your life with this same philosophy. Giving up on a season with half the games left to play, when only 2 games out of first place in the division is completely ludicrous. You can give up if you'd like but, don't come here and drag everyone else down with you...

You have to look realistically at the odds, which are astronomically against the Niners. There has never been a team in the modern football era, starting 0-5, to ever make the playoffs. Not one. Ever.

I have no idea why anyone would believe this team could go 2-6 the rest of this season, to even get to 8-8. We lost to a winless team in Carolina, and are 0-4 on the road. How have we improved so much that the playoffs are even in consideration? We have to leapfrog three teams, who are going to win some games the rest of the way themselves.

The bottom line is that the Niners would do something never accomplished before. Do you honestly believe Singletary is going to lead this team to a 6-2 record? Enlighten the board with any one indication.

I agree with you Maddog, but I will still watch because I just can't quit this team.

Im not even thinking about playoffs.
  • dj43
The most important reason to watch the REST of this season is the same reason that was the most important at the BEGINNING of this season - DOES THIS TEAM HAVE A STARTING QB?

At this point, the best we can hope for is that Troy will play well enough to satisfy whoever comes in to coach next year, that he can at least be a place holder until the next hot-shot rookie can learn to play. Hopefully he will be good enough to keep the rookie on the bench until he can truly play. I don't want another Rattay/Alex deal.

Of course, the worst case scenario is that Troy is NOT able to perform at an adequate level and the team is forced to try to keep Alex or induce an FA to come here. As I look at other QBs around the league that are not under contract next year, I get this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. The only way to get a decent QB without waiting for a rookie is to trade a current quality starter. That becomes so costly and complex that it does nothing to even begin to explore it here.

As I have written before, I don't see any way Alex agrees to stay here unless Gruden comes here and truly wants him to stay. Since I don't believe Gruden will come here, I won't engage the AS discussion. He is gone as far as I'm concerned.

The next most important reason to continue is to watch is the development of the OL; Iupati and Davis in particular. Most observers acknowledged that the first half of the season would be the most difficult in that not only was the schedule tougher, it would also take the rookies half a season to begin to get in sync with the rest of the offense. Let's hope they are on schedule.

There are 6 or 7 other issues that must be decided during the balance of the season but all of them will depend on who the HC is next year. I see now way MS is back. The rest is up to the new guy.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM ]
before i found out that Andrew Luck wasnt coming out this year & that we finally made GOOD change at QB i would of said the same thing but now we do have a purpose to continue to fight the division is up for grabs & maybe T. Smith can show he can be our QB for the future

GO NINERS!!!!
Originally posted by susweel:

I agree with you Maddog, but I will still watch because I just can't quit this team.

You don't have to. Just think about kickin the living s**t out of the Rams this week and forget about the next games. We know what's out there...a very crappy NFC West Division. We got that.

Now, one game at a time on any given Sunday, right?

So first up, the Rams!

However, the remainder of the season is NOT pointless...they never are. You can always gain something from the next eight games.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by susweel:

You don't have to. Just think about kickin the living s**t out of the Rams this week and forget about the next games. We know what's out there...a very crappy NFC West Division. We got that.

Now, one game at a time on any given Sunday, right?

So first up, the Rams!

However, the remainder of the season is NOT pointless...they never are. You can always gain something from the next eight games.

What I do now is enjoy each game as an individual entity. I have been doing that for a while now. Just entertain me for 3 hours, when the games are boring thats when I really hate it. To me even some wins are boring.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
this thread is pointless

stop being a fan and watch the Lions they're on pointless season 56 in a row

MadDog = King of Trolling.

You're like the Kim Jong Il of Niner Talk. Once the world forgets about you, you throw a bomb to make sure they still know you're there.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
MadDog = King of Trolling.

You're like the Kim Jong Il of Niner Talk. Once the world forgets about you, you throw a bomb to make sure they still know you're there.

eh, that is an overstatement. MD is absolutely one of the most knowledgeable posters here. It has been a very frustrating few weeks with nothing to talk about other than the same old Alex Smith stuff. So, he gets something started that runs through 10+ pages. It starts some controversy but also some introspection. As long as it doesn't get personal, I am fine with it.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
If the 49ers win next week and the Cardinals beat the Seahawks then the 49ers are one game out of first place with seven to play. Two of those remaining games will be against the Cardinals and two others will be against the Seahawks and the Rams. The 49ers easily can pull into first place in this horrible division and even win it at 7-9. Mike Singletary has made the 49ers a bad team, but giving up on the season is pointless when the division could be worse than Singletary.

No team has made the playoffs after an 0-5 start... No division has ever been this bad.
This season is not pointless because if we can win 6 or 7 of our remaining games we can win the division and we might win it with a 7 - 9 record. We're going to have to be like the Jets were yesterday, lucky and spectacular at the right time. We have to beat all of the division opponents and that is very possible.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Archie:
This season is not pointless because if we can win 6 or 7 of our remaining games we can win the division and we might win it with a 7 - 9 record. We're going to have to be like the Jets were yesterday, lucky and spectacular at the right time. We have to beat all of the division opponents and that is very possible.
The 49ers will have to win AT LEAST 6 of their remaining games.

The Rams are the team to catch, and it will be difficult. They are the best of the rest.

Here is the challenge:

The Rams are 4-4 and are very good at home. They lost a squeaker to AZ the first week of the season, 17-13. Since then they won three at home plus one on the road.

They play @Denver - a weak team as we know.

@ AZ - should have beaten them the first time.

KC in St Louis where the Rams have played very well.

Seahawks again

SF twice.

That is six very winnable games for the Rams. If they win 4 of those games, and if one of those wins is against the 49ers, the playoffs are toast.

They also get the Falcons in SL and the Saints in NO. I don't see them losing either of those.

Not easy. I go with the odds. No playoffs this year. Sorry Jed. You were wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone