There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Remainder of the 2010 Season is Pointless

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.

I have to seriously question Gruden's judgment, if he was so adamant about selecting Al Smith.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:
We haven't lost a game by more than 3 points since Raye was fired, and you're calling the season OVER?? Give me a break, Troy Smith doesn't even have to get any better than the Broncos game (he will) and we would still be competitive enough to make a run.
Sometimes I think the depression of being 2-6 clouds fans ability to honestly look at how we got there. If ANY team has means, motive, and opportunity to MURDER the competition in second half its us.

1. New QB that has revitalized the offense
2. Offensive Line has continued to improve
3. Both Walker and Davis will be back healthy, that's a devastating 2 TE combo with a good QB
4. Toughest opponents are Bucs and Packers, the Bucs have had to rely on 4th quarter comebacks too often this season, and their last 3 wins haven't been by more than 3 points. Packers have been vulnerable as well, and the only team they've blown out was the Bills in the beginning of the season.

This team is going At LEAST 8-8 and will definitely win the division.

Thanks for visiting us online, Jed.

The Niners are not going 6-2 the rest of the season. They are winless on the road so far (the London game was considered a home game, and the crowd certainly was a home crowd), so why do you automatically think we will win any games on the road.

This season is toast. Unless Singletary becomes the next Bill Walsh......in the next week, the playoffs are a pipe dream.

First off, you and I both know that Falcons game was Won if Nate Clements just goes down, so lets not pretend that we can't win on the road. Second, if Alex Smith doesn't go down with an injury, we don't lose in Carolina either. So thats two road games due to some unfortunate mishaps we lost, but dont make it seem as if we just don't have a chance against anybody on the road. Again... we lost our last two road games by a combined FIVE points.

Let go of the bleakness, everything is pointing to us surging forward in the second half.

You see "ifs", I see losses.

The same "if" game can be played for the two Niners wins, including this past week. If Moreno is not called for that phantom penalty in the backfield, the Niners go down by more than one TD in latter portion of the game, and it is pretty much wrapped.

The bottom line is that "ifs" have zero merit in the NFL, only wins and losses.

are u talking about the ILLEGAL chop-block?? becuase yes it is a REAL penalty...WHAT ORTON WAS DOING WITH HIS PU**Y HELMET WAS PHANTOM!!!
Originally posted by redmanc07:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff. It is not going to happen. At 2-6, the Niners look to split the final 8 games, and go 6-10 for the season. Some team in the division is going to hit 8-8 or better, even though it looks unlikely at times. Someone will emerge, as they always do, to hit .500. So, to pretend this team has any realistic chance of making the playoffs is silly.

So, where does that leave us? Answer: Back at ground zero again. The team will dump Singletary, and bring in a new head coach. The new head coach will undoubtably bring in a new offensive coordinator, and new offensive system. It will probably also be the end of Manusky as the DC, and possibly the end of the 3-4 defense.

On player personnel matters, the new head coach (probably a seasoned vet) will more than likely demand some ability to have a strong hand in choosing those who will be signed, re-signed, or dumped. So, players currently on the roster will be in a state of uncertainty heading into 2011.

At QB, it appears that not much can be learned from the rest of the season. It is doubtful the Niners will maintain either Smith at the end of the year. Both have exhausted contracts, to my knowledge, and a head coach will surely like to bring in his own QB to run his system. The others would be simply buying time. At RB, the team may keep a 2-back system, or go to a multiple WR set, which eliminates players like Norris having a large role. The 2-TE sets could also be limited in the future. The offensive philosophy under Singletary is to play "smashmouth" football, so is there anything to learn the rest of 2011 if our OC plays a more wide-open style? Do we keep the same personnel, or do we make changes at C, LT, RG?

On defense, the Niners use a 3-4 defense, and Franklin is on a one year contract. If the new coach employs a 4-3, what players would remain from this roster on the DL, and how would this impact the LB core? Finally, the Niners are probably done with Clements, but that will remain in the hands of the HC and DC, who may see him perform better in a cover-2 scheme, or another defensive system.

So, with all the upcoming changes that we will begin to see in 9 weeks, is there much to look forward to until the Niners reset the button. My answer is, no. Fast forward me to early January 2011. Until then, the only thing that really counts is where we will draft.

So in a division where we finished 5-1, and 5 games remaining against the West we don't have any hope? With this logic why look forward to the draft. We will most likely screw it up? But before that we will make a mistake in who we hire for HC and GM. Maybe you should change the thread to "Being a 49er fan is pointless." If you think any team on the remainder of the schedule is unbeatable you are looking at the wrong schedule.

You are right that nobody is unbeatable in the NFL, since every team already has a loss on their record. And, anything can happen on any Sunday. That is why it would be highly irregular for a team that has struggled to find a way to win, and consistently throws games away to suddenly get into a strong winning streak.

The nature of the NFL says that even the best of the NFL teams this season will go no better than 6-2 the rest of the way...so why would anyone think the Niners will be the best second half team in the NFL in 2010.

Not saying they will be hooping they go at least 6-2. They have the "talent" to do it, they just have to put it all together. The fact that we are starting 3 rookies and almost all the rest of them are getting significant PT shows we are a very young team. Maybe the London trip and the bond they formed over seas will help, maybe it won't. That alone gives meaning to the rest of this season.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

I have to seriously question Gruden's judgment, if he was so adamant about selecting Al Smith.

Not that I don't question Gruden's judgment, but we don't know how things work out if Alex is drafted by Gruden instead of Nolan. Maybe Gruden saw something he could mold with the proper care that only he could give... like a delicate orchid. Hehehehe....

Gruden has a QB fetish, so I don't know what's going on in the man's head.

Just tryin' to keep it real, yo. ::Vanilla Ice pose::
I don't think it is silly to believe we can go 5-0 with our remaining division games and win two of our three remaining non-division games. If Singletary learns to take his hands off of the offense, the sky is the limit.
Question. Why WOULDN'T the Niners continue to try to pound the ball in the first half of the Broncos game if they were only putting 7 in the box, and with Troy Smith's limited knowledge of the playbook. Some of you are acting like it would have been smarter for us to try to air it out when they obviously were not respecting our run game.
I hope that, for your sake, you don't actually live your life with this same philosophy. Giving up on a season with half the games left to play, when only 2 games out of first place in the division is completely ludicrous. You can give up if you'd like but, don't come here and drag everyone else down with you...
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
I think the Niners throw a lot of money in the direction of Gruden, and keep Baalke in his current role.

Gruden is a big fan of Alex Smith (he tried to trade up from the fifth pick to the first overall to get him in 2005), but I still think the Niners go QB with their first round selection.

So MadDog, is Baalke the top executive of football operations in this scenario or does Jed hire someone else to give Baalke and him some adult supervision? In this scenario, who has the ultimate authority between Baalke and Gruden when it comes to personnel decisions?
4 way tie is looming. Don't stop.......believin!

Seahawks 4 4 0 L2
Rams 4 4 0 W1
Cardinals 3 5 0 L3
49ers 2 6 0 W1

BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

5 division games left.

ALOT of football left.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Seahawks 4 4 0 L2
Rams 4 4 0 W1
Cardinals 3 5 0 L3
49ers 2 6 0 W1

BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

5 division games left.

ALOT of football left.

Rams game is the tipping point... either way.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

Seahawks 4 4 0 L2
Rams 4 4 0 W1
Cardinals 3 5 0 L3
49ers 2 6 0 W1

BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

5 division games left.

ALOT of football left.

meh, I think MD's point is that in the long-run none of this matters. Troy Smith is not a long-term solution, and Sing has to go if we want to take the next step. So what if we win this garbage division? It doesn't mean squat in the long run. Sure we should all root for the players to come together, but in the long run we have to keep things in perspective.
We're actually right in the mix for the division. We're at the midpoint in the season and only 2 games behind the Rams and Seahawks. Seattle has been getting killed the past couple weeks and haven't even been competition lately. The Rams are improving, but they still have to play us twice, play ATL, KC, NO. They could very easily lose those games.

We have mainly divisional games remaining, so we hold the keys to our fate. I think it's looking fine for us. Yes, even with Troy Smith. I thought he looked pretty good out there in London. Even is he struggles, he's not that much worse than what we already had.
Originally posted by strickac:
We're actually right in the mix for the division. We're at the midpoint in the season and only 2 games behind the Rams and Seahawks. Seattle has been getting killed the past couple weeks and haven't even been competition lately. The Rams are improving, but they still have to play us twice, play ATL, KC, NO. They could very easily lose those games.

We have mainly divisional games remaining, so we hold the keys to our fate. I think it's looking fine for us. Yes, even with Troy Smith. I thought he looked pretty good out there in London. Even is he struggles, he's not that much worse than what we already had.
ya the crisp, accurate passing was painfull to watch...and dont get me started on the ability to shed pass rushers...that was horrible
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
I have to eat major crow for my 2009 preseason prediction that this year, the 2010 season, would be the year the Niners returned to the playoff.

Uhh... doesn't everybody?

Yup.

Not the guy who predicted the 0-5 start! He's only off by 1 game thus far, the panthers loss
how?? after watching SEA and AZ just absolutely tank, no way they win more than 3 games this seacond half leaving SEA at 7-9 and AZ 6-10.. The Rams IMO have the best opporunity to get to 8-8, but we will see. door is still WIDE OPEN for us to walk through, GOTTA win the next 2 games though if we are serious about it..