LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Good stuff from Troy and Sing

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by susweel:
You guys are setting yourself up for a big let down with Troy. I know he may seem like new shiny toy compared to the old beat up broke down one.

Yup; but, as a fan I'm enjoying having a decent QB. If even for only one game...

+1

Fans continue drinking the Singletary Kool-Aid. He is selling the leadership BS. Leadership is overrated and does not have to come from the QB necessarily (altough it does not hurt).
Singletary still believes the QB is not important and is talking about leadership attributes instead of talent, capacity to read defenses, capacity to make throws, etc.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
You guys are setting yourself up for a big let down with Troy. I know he may seem like new shiny toy compared to the old beat up broke down one.

I agree. I've been disappointed so much by the Niners, I can't get hyped on Troy after one game. Its gonna take a string of games that he clearly is responsible for wining. Then I'll get onboard the Troy Smith wagon........

Exactly
Well, I'll say this: I am not set yet on Troy Smith, but 1) he is a Heismann Trophy Winner, 2) he was supposed to start for the Ravens, but got sick and was replaced by J. Flacco who turned out to be very good, 3) he compiled a 115.2 rating in his first start fot the Niners and 4) of course, he was lucky on the Walker pass ( I was in Wembley stadium and went NOOOOOO..., before yelling YESSSSSS...), but good QBs get lucky.

No reason to be negative at this stage, but all reasons to get excited and look forward to the next game.

Go Niners !
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

This, if he comes out and throws 4 picks in the first Q then you guys will call for Carr again......

We called for Carr because we didn't have any other choice! It would have been "We want Nate!!!" which on its face is just a desperate cry for competence but Sing made sure that, that wasn't an option... No matter what happens the rest of the season the fact is CLEAR that Sing sacrificed "our" (yours, mine and the teams) season for one player and there just ain't no Alexcuse for that... I look forward to any effort that Troy can bring to this team - he is my new 9er savior. Not for a great rest of the season, not for a great future past 2010 but for an end to the current 9er apolocalypse! Addition by subtraction... We are a better team now!

Dirty
Originally posted by SwissNiner1255:
he was lucky on the Walker pass ( I was in Wembley stadium and went NOOOOOO..., before yelling YESSSSSS...), but good QBs get lucky.

Alex is the unluckiest player in NFL history, so it was pretty refreshing to have that characteristic on our side. I think that's what the real difference was between the two on Sunday.
Originally posted by Dirty9er:

This, if he comes out and throws 4 picks in the first Q then you guys will call for Carr again......

We called for Carr because we didn't have any other choice! It would have been "We want Nate!!!" which on its face is just a desperate cry for competence but Sing made sure that, that wasn't an option... No matter what happens the rest of the season the fact is CLEAR that Sing sacrificed "our" (yours, mine and the teams) season for one player and there just ain't no Alexcuse for that... I look forward to any effort that Troy can bring to this team - he is my new 9er savior. Not for a great rest of the season, not for a great future past 2010 but for an end to the current 9er apolocalypse! Addition by subtraction... We are a better team now!

Dirty

well said

Dirty

Sticking with Alex this long is the one thing I can't critique Sing for. His gameplanning, strategy, and personnel moves in other areas have hurt this team much more. Alex was easily the best option coming into the season (people that were chanting for Mcnabb have now floundered into obscurity), and if you look at last season, there SHOULD have been an improvement. Sing's choice to stick with Raye this offseason was a much bigger error. Alex's play, along with the rest of the Offense, has taken a HUGE leap forward with the absence of Raye. I can't place blame on Sing for not knowing that Troy was an upgrade, no one could've predicted that.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:47 AM ]
Well, I'll say this: I am not set yet on Troy Smith, but 1) he is a Heismann Trophy Winner, 2) he was supposed to start for the Ravens, but got sick and was replaced by J. Flacco who turned out to be very good, 3) he compiled a 115.2 rating in his first start fot the Niners and 4) of course, he was lucky on the Walker pass ( I was in Wembley stadium and went NOOOOOO..., before yelling YESSSSSS...), but good QBs get lucky.

No reason to be negative at this stage, but all reasons to get excited and look forward to the next game.

Go Niners !
1.so what??? he was a tremendous player in college but it doesn't mean anything at the pro-level.
2.ok
3.it's all about "how" he has get this rating.
4.lucky ^1000000000...
Originally posted by communist:

Go Niners !
1.so what??? he was a tremendous player in college but it doesn't mean anything at the pro-level.
2.ok
3.it's all about "how" he has get this rating.
4.lucky ^1000000000...

Well, on 1) the point I was making is that his college career brings promises for his starting NFL career and that we have no reason to doubt such promises after the first game. Let's see against the Rams.

By the way, I have nothing against Alex, whom I met on the sidewalk in London and with whom I had a very nice chat. But Troy is the best option for the moment.
[ Edited by SwissNiner1255 on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM ]
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Dirty

Sticking with Alex this long is the one thing I can't critique Sing for. His gameplanning, strategy, and personnel moves in other areas have hurt this team much more. Alex was easily the best option coming into the season (people that were chanting for Mcnabb have now floundered into obscurity), and if you look at last season, there SHOULD have been an improvement. Sing's choice to stick with Raye this offseason was a much bigger error. Alex's play, along with the rest of the Offense, has taken a HUGE leap forward with the absence of Raye. I can't place blame on Sing for not knowing that Troy was an upgrade, no one could've predicted that.

I might be able to see your point if Sing hadn’t confirmed “the fact” that he did not want ANY possible threat to Alex. It didn’t have to be Mcnabb it could have just been someone like I don’t know Shaun Hill who was already here. Fact Hill is better at the short ball than Alex and Alex’s only game is the short ball… But No he (sing) brought in the absolute worst, shell shocked scrub that he could find in David Carr thereby making Smith the best QB ONLY by default. Smith could also be seen as the most mobile QB in a camp of paraplegics… The fact is Sing knew his own decision wasn’t in the best interest of this club! Heck Troy Smith could have come into camp as the number 2 and the chant would have been “We want Troy!!!” Again, there is no excuse! At this point I just want to stop the lying and the bleeding!

Dirty

Originally posted by BleedRandG:
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/London-Postgame-Locker-Room/8c733251-53d1-4b04-8d5a-3da7716329bc

I cannot help but think that Troy is going to be a good one. He only has one start under his belt and he already has the team behind him. If Alex were smart he would take notes on what Troy does as a leader. One week. It is too early to say that Troy is the future(infact its about 8 games too early) but the man is off to a damn good start!

Anyone notice when Troy starts talking at the end you can see Alex Smith in the background, far, far, away with a blank look on his face.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Yup; but, as a fan I'm enjoying having a decent QB. If even for only one game...

+1

Fans continue drinking the Singletary Kool-Aid. He is selling the leadership BS. Leadership is overrated and does not have to come from the QB necessarily (altough it does not hurt).
Singletary still believes the QB is not important and is talking about leadership attributes instead of talent, capacity to read defenses, capacity to make throws, etc.

So if you're not a fan then GTFO.... BTW, you don't have to be on Sing's nuts to be a fan of this team and enjoy decent QB play and a win!
[ Edited by D_Niner on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Dirty

I might be able to see your point if Sing hadn’t confirmed “the fact” that he did not want ANY possible threat to Alex. It didn’t have to be Mcnabb it could have just been someone like I don’t know Shaun Hill who was already here. Fact Hill is better at the short ball than Alex and Alex’s only game is the short ball… But No he (sing) brought in the absolute worst, shell shocked scrub that he could find in David Carr thereby making Smith the best QB ONLY by default. Smith could also be seen as the most mobile QB in a camp of paraplegics… The fact is Sing knew his own decision wasn’t in the best interest of this club! Heck Troy Smith could have come into camp as the number 2 and the chant would have been “We want Troy!!!” Again, there is no excuse! At this point I just want to stop the lying and the bleeding!

Dirty

Like I said, Shaun Hill was a personnel move that Singletary clearly failed on. He would've been a solid backup and probably could've won us the Carolina game. Sing obviously thought Hill was expendable, so that gaff falls on him. Again, going with Alex hasn't been my problem with Sing, it's how he's handled it. For instance, if you're going to go with a guy that is successful in the shotgun, use more shotgun, don't handcuff your QB because it's not smashmouth. Sing is a very, very silly man.

This team has far more talent than 6 of the next 8 opponents it faces, so I could see us going 6-2 based on talent alone. I really hope it doesn't save Sing's job, he's held this team back enough already.
Lets see what he can do with the Rams D
Originally posted by Antix:
I just dont get it!

How many times does this team have to rip your hearts out before you realize that we're not any good??

I guess some of us are just so starved for good QB play that we'll take any flash of decent play as the precursor to greatness. I won't ever believe in this team until they show me consistency on the field. You should adopt the same mindset.
Share 49ersWebzone