There are 278 users in the forums

ESPN: Sam Bradford best in NFC West for 3rd down passing, Alex Smith worst

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Yes, here it is... now what, haters?

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/10/move-the-chains-niners-converting-under-new-oc.html

Quote:
Raye was the OC during this season's first three games. The Niners converted 10 of 41 third downs under Raye. That is 24 percent. Not too good. Mike Johnson has been the IC the past three games. The Niners have converted 21 of 42 first downs under Johnson. That is 50 percent. Very good.

With Raye, Smith had an overall QB rating of 66.2. His rating on third down was 31.6 (15 of 33, 154 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT). With Johnson, Smith has an overall rating of 82.7. His rating on third down is 72.7 (18 of 32, 202 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT). With Raye, nine of Smith's 15 third-down completions (60%) did not result in a first down. With Johnson, four of Smith's 18 third-down completions (22%) haven't resulted in a first down. It's very annoying when QBs complete third-down passes short of a first down. Don't you think? It's been said that the Niners have done a better job of putting themselves in "more manageable" third-down situations under Johnson. Kind of. Under Johnson, 17 of their 42 third downs (40%) have been in third-and-short (less than five yards). Under Raye, 14 of their 41 third downs (34%) were in third-and-short.

Yes, now he is kicking Hall and Anderson's ass, dominant QB's from the finest division in the league. Championship!

Way to deliberately side-step the whole reason for this article being posted... or is your thought process otherwise challenged?

So, Smith's rating went from rated last in the division to third in a weak division. How am I supposed to use this metric to demonstrate he is a good QB? Is "liking" Alex Smith more important to you than the team or winning?

Try reading that bolded part in the above quote... if you are still having trouble, ask someone to help explain it for you, k?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/10/move-the-chains-niners-converting-under-new-oc.html

Quote:
Raye was the OC during this season's first three games. The Niners converted 10 of 41 third downs under Raye. That is 24 percent. Not too good. Mike Johnson has been the IC the past three games. The Niners have converted 21 of 42 first downs under Johnson. That is 50 percent. Very good.

With Raye, Smith had an overall QB rating of 66.2. His rating on third down was 31.6 (15 of 33, 154 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT). With Johnson, Smith has an overall rating of 82.7. His rating on third down is 72.7 (18 of 32, 202 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT). With Raye, nine of Smith's 15 third-down completions (60%) did not result in a first down. With Johnson, four of Smith's 18 third-down completions (22%) haven't resulted in a first down. It's very annoying when QBs complete third-down passes short of a first down. Don't you think? It's been said that the Niners have done a better job of putting themselves in "more manageable" third-down situations under Johnson. Kind of. Under Johnson, 17 of their 42 third downs (40%) have been in third-and-short (less than five yards). Under Raye, 14 of their 41 third downs (34%) were in third-and-short.

Yes, now he is kicking Hall and Anderson's ass, dominant QB's from the finest division in the league. Championship!

Way to deliberately side-step the whole reason for this article being posted... or is your thought process otherwise challenged?

So, Smith's rating went from rated last in the division to third in a weak division. How am I supposed to use this metric to demonstrate he is a good QB? Is "liking" Alex Smith more important to you than the team or winning?

Try reading that bolded part in the above quote... if you are still having trouble, ask someone to help explain it for you, k?

Do you really believe that bolded statistic changes the overall picture in any significant way?
Old Man, now u know they arent ever gonna let u win.

I mean Smith wont be hear next year, so at least all the A. Smith talk will be over.

LIke i said to another guy, when that stat came out of being second in the league in the redzone, Oh s**t they came out like roaches when the light comes on to say

Oh please it's just a stat, dont mean anything, blah blah blah. And it was from Espn as well.

Then this comes out and it's look everybody, see how bad he's been. Thats what the hell we been saying.

All you can do is laugh because they dispense the red zone efficiency stat thats NFL wide, and now we should focus on the 3rd down passing.

I mean whats more important 3rd down passing, or red zone efficiency. Red Zone in my opinion, because it shows when the ball does get there, he can get it done. Now like i said he'll probably be gone at the end of the year anyway, but u know people are only gonna see and adress what they want. Doesnt matter if it holds merit or not
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

I mean Smith wont be hear next year, so at least all the A. Smith talk will be over.

LIke i said to another guy, when that stat came out of being second in the league in the redzone, Oh s**t they came out like roaches when the light comes on to say

Oh please it's just a stat, dont mean anything, blah blah blah. And it was from Espn as well.

Then this comes out and it's look everybody, see how bad he's been. Thats what the hell we been saying.

All you can do is laugh because they dispense the red zone efficiency stat thats NFL wide, and now we should focus on the 3rd down passing.

I mean whats more important 3rd down passing, or red zone efficiency. Red Zone in my opinion, because it shows when the ball does get there, he can get it done. Now like i said he'll probably be gone at the end of the year anyway, but u know people are only gonna see and adress what they want. Doesnt matter if it holds merit or not

I personally think 3rd down efficiency is more important than Red zone efficiency, just because in actuality, it takes 3rd down efficiency to even GET to the Red Zone. It'd be great if we had Dante Hall and Devin Hester in their prime returning kicks and punts for us to the other teams 20 yard line....but seeing as we usually have 60 yards to go before we're even in their red zone, that stat for Alex is like butter cream frosting on a layer cake of Dog S***
Max Hall, Max Freaking Hall, UNDRAFTED MAX FREAKING HALL! WOW ALex sucks! First I see Troy do more with less than Alex (no VD, no experience) and now Max mother f**king freaking undrafted rookie free agent HAll, is putting up better numbers! Well f**k me blue with out any lube, I've seen enough, Alex Smith should NEVER get another start!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Max Hall, Max Freaking Hall, UNDRAFTED MAX FREAKING HALL! WOW ALex sucks! First I see Troy do more with less than Alex (no VD, no experience) and now Max mother f**king freaking undrafted rookie free agent HAll, is putting up better numbers! Well f**k me blue with out any lube, I've seen enough, Alex Smith should NEVER get another start!

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

LOL, I mean come on for the love of God make Alex Smith stop playing football!
Just like all threads about:
1. divorces
2. toilets
3. government bureaucracy

I could just tell that this thread was made by Shaj.

-9fA
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Now where do you think most of the throws are made in the redzone? Let me see; a check down type of pass to Gore and a pass in between the hashes to Vernon.

I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 legit TD passes to an actual WR. Alex would be great if he can do this type of pass the entire game but that's not what is called for being a QB between the 20's. He's actually required to get some chunk yards to WR's but we all know he has an issue throwing outside the hashes unless it's another curl or in route.

Quote:

Sam Bradford - 101.2 passer rating on third downs
Matt Hasselbeck - 76.5
Derek Anderson - 63.6
Max Hall - 55.1
Alex Smith - 54.8

Troy Smith is not ranked because he does not have enough stats to be meaningful.

Oh, and Shaun Hill is 88.7 in third down passer rating with the Lions this year.

Here is the original post showing the ranking. If you need help with counting between 54.8 and 101.2 let me know. K?

can we chance Shaj and Susweel's names to Troll1 and Troll2 seems how all they ever do is start new threads and post about how much Alex Smith has ruined their lives and the world we live in. Last time I checked there was an Alex Smith thread. I am pretty sure this could have been posted in that thread.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:
can we chance Shaj and Susweel's names to Troll1 and Troll2 seems how all they ever do is start new threads and post about how much Alex Smith has ruined their lives and the world we live in. Last time I checked there was an Alex Smith thread. I am pretty sure this could have been posted in that thread.

As I glance through niner talk first page right now, the threads there could all be consolidated into about 5 different topics. Why is it that anything to do with Alex (usually containing inconvenient information) must be consolidated ASAP into some mega thread whereas everything else need not be?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

your a funny guy.......not

Originally posted by Shaj:

As I glance through niner talk first page right now, the threads there could all be consolidated into about 5 different topics. Why is it that anything to do with Alex (usually containing inconvenient information) must be consolidated ASAP into some mega thread whereas everything else need not be?

because there are about 5,000,000,000 threads on Alex Smith and every single one of them turns into the same argument. Alex suck...no he doesn't....yes he does.....no he doesn't.....yes he does.....no he doesn't......yes he does......no he doesn't. Is there really a need for that many threads? The problem is that you feel the need to start a new thread about Alex Smith any time you find a new statistic to fuel your hatred for him. I just heard on ESPN that Alex Smith has a statistic for having the hairiest left testicle in the NFL, quick Shaj start a thread!!!! Hurry before someone beats you to it!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
this should go in NFL talk or the Alex Smith thread.

This. Sam Bradford news doesn't belong in Niner Talk.
Share 49ersWebzone