LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Why is Singletary still coach....Details why we need a change

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'll answer your question.

"Why is Singletary still coach?"

Because if you elevate anyone on staff to head coach mid-season (Manusky, Johnson, Solari), you cannot demote them after the season is over back to their original role. It just doesn't work that way. If you elevate Manusky and decide you want a new head coach in January, you'd have to fire Manusky in order to hire a new person.

Singletary is still coach because the rest of our staff is either not expendable or not prepared. We gain very little in firing Singletary now with what looks to be a doomed season regardless of who on staff is called "head coach."

i like that explanation
i think the yorks leave all options open by keeping singletary the rest of the year.
You have convinced me (unfortunately)
Good post..

You know, I knew he wasn't X's and O's. I thought with the leadership and motivation and respect he brought, he would learn and become a great coach. I am wrong though cause his hard head and lack of knowledge of managing the game is too much. He is a player, not a coach.
Originally posted by a24hrdad:

Because if you elevate anyone on staff to head coach mid-season (Manusky, Johnson, Solari), you cannot demote them after the season is over back to their original role. It just doesn't work that way. If you elevate Manusky and decide you want a new head coach in January, you'd have to fire Manusky in order to hire a new person.

Singletary is still coach because the rest of our staff is either not expendable or not prepared. We gain very little in firing Singletary now with what looks to be a doomed season regardless of who on staff is called "head coach."

Dave Campo is still on the Cowboys staff after being HC....

Rare exception.

Rare exception.

"Because if you elevate anyone on staff to head coach mid-season (Manusky, Johnson, Solari), you cannot demote them after the season is over back to their original role. It just doesn't work that way. If you elevate Manusky and decide you want a new head coach in January, you'd have to fire Manusky in order to hire a new person."

I took "cannot" as its an NFL rule or its "not allowed". If someone really likes a player or coach they can come back to a team. I would say usually there is bad blood or the coach is bitter he didn't get the job.

If Jed York handled it respectfully, I don't see any reason he wouldn't stay. We will likely bring in an offensive coach so he would get to run the defense how he wants to and not have Singletary micromanaging.

Rare exception.

"Because if you elevate anyone on staff to head coach mid-season (Manusky, Johnson, Solari), you cannot demote them after the season is over back to their original role. It just doesn't work that way. If you elevate Manusky and decide you want a new head coach in January, you'd have to fire Manusky in order to hire a new person."

I took "cannot" as its an NFL rule or its "not allowed". If someone really likes a player or coach they can come back to a team. I would say usually there is bad blood or the coach is bitter he didn't get the job.

If Jed York handled it respectfully, I don't see any reason he wouldn't stay. We will likely bring in an offensive coach so he would get to run the defense how he wants to and not have Singletary micromanaging.

If it worked, that would be ideal. I don't think it's that simple though.
Originally posted by jdelossantos3:
2008-(5-4)
10) Arizona(9-7) -Loss- (24-29) Arizona was pretty good they get a pass even though they should have this one
11) St Louis(2-14) –Win- (35-16) Should have won this one
12) Dallas(9-7) –Loss- (22-35) blasted
13) Buffalo(7-9) – Win-(10-3)
14) Jets (9-7) –Win-(24-14) Solid win against Brett Favre playoff run. Patrick willis Smacked Brad Smithby the way.
15) Miami -(11-5)-Loss(9-14) Close loss to a solid Parcells lead Wildcat team.
16) St Louis(2-14) – Win- (17-16) this should have been a sign. Not ready for coachingwhen a 2-14 team almost knocks you off.
17) Washington(8-8)- win-(27-24) game did matter for either team

2009-(8-8)

1)Arizona(10-6)- win-(20-16)Great Win
2)Seahawks(5-11)- win- (23-10) Game we Should win/Seahawks were horrible
3)Vikings(12-4)- Loss-(24-27) Game we Should not have lost found away to lose
4)Rams(1-15)- Win-(35-0) Self explanatory
5)Falcons(9-7)-Loss- (10-45) True test/ and we got smacked
6)Bye
7)Texans(9-7)-Loss-(21-25)- Alex Smith comes in with nothing to lose and throw 3 tds on a prevent Defense.
8)Colts(14-2)-Loss- (14-18)- Right when it looks like we are going to get a good win against a great team our defense take the last drive off and made peyton manning great after 3 ¾ horrible quarters( at least to Peyton standards I would give my left arm for Peyton, but that’s neither here nor there.)
9)Titans(8-8)-Loss- (27-34) Congradulations another lose because of an alex smith INT
10)Bears(7-9)-Win-(10-6) Bears weren’t good and we barely squeaked that one out
11)Packer(11-5)-Loss- (24-30) Score looks closer than it was. 2 4thQuarter TD’s made the score look like it was close
12)Jaguars(7-9)- Win-(20-3) Great win/shut down Mo-Drew(relatively/no big runs or TD’s)
13)Seahawks(5-11)-Loss (17-20) Seriously back to our old selves/ letting slip away
14)Arizona(10-6)-Win (24-9) Great win against a Division Rival needed the win in the playoff hunt.
15)Eagles(11-5)- Loss (13-27) Again we win this game we are in the playoffs( crazy as it sounds) but we showeveryone why we weren’t ready for that. Not only did we lose we got smacked again
16)Lions(2-14)- Win- (20-6) nothing need to be said
17)Rams(1-15)-Win- (28-6) same as above.

Record against team with 500 or better record: 2-7
Record against team with worse than 500 record: 6-1
I mean common now we beat the Rams x2/Lions/Seahawk/Bears/Jaguars/Arizona x2. The wins that actually might be considered good wins were Bears(ehhh)/Jaguars(Mo-Drew is a gamebreaker that’s the only reason I consider it a solid win)/ and beating Arizona twice was more about rivalry, solid wins though. Other than that when it came to true test against playoff caliber teams we either had horrible clock mgmt/horrible coaching mistakes/or just got blown out……In other words we always choked. So lets keep Singletary put Alex Smith back as our starter and win the west …….ARE YOU SERIOUS…..By the way if there was any offseason to pick up not only a new coach but multiple Super Bowl caliber coaches it was this off season …..Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Bill Cohwer, Pete Carroll(super bowl coordinator, kind of a stretch but he’s an X/O’s guy some our whole coaching staff knows nothing about)…..some may have had job before the but the niners could have definitely talked to anyone them before hand to say hey just wait this out we will give you full control……or just switched because some on that list were and still are available.

2010-(1-6)

1)Seahawks(3-2) –Loss-(31-6) why do people read into preseason (4-0) but we come out look flat, no offense and horrible clock mgmt…hmmmmm sounds familiar…anyways it ok we can rebound right?

2)Saints(4-3)–Loss-(25-22) Ok we they are a Super Bowl team and Drew Brees is pretty good other than today with 4 picks. But we gave this game away. We came back only to have Drew Brees driveon us like we were a scout team.

3)Chiefs(4-2)–Loss-(31-10) Ok lets rebound against the chiefs…….NOT…..is it really that hard to call plays that are already game planned out and have right in front of you. Maybe the reason Nate Davis couldn’t get better is because our Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye was making it worse….I mean seriously you “ Ta ta ta TODAY JUNIOR”…End of the Day defense/Offense and Special Teams were not prepared and it showed. Whats funny is how Singletary says Jimmy Raye’s job is not on the line next question, next day ……..NOT…….God that Borat Line must be used so much in that organization.

4)Falcons(5-2)–Loss-(16-14) Gave the game away again/ the game was over but the DRE BLY curse came back to haunt us wait isn’t he gone so wait who was that oh yeah that was the 80 million dollar man Nate the Great. The only question I have is how do you not get down, kids in high school know how to get down and waste time. Clement literally gave the game back to them. Like you know what if I cant score I’m going to fumble trying because this is prolly my last yr with the team and Im still getting paid no matter what. Talk about bonehead.

5)Eagles(4-3)–Loss-(27-24) We come back against a really good eagles team of course it would have been way different if Vick was playing. But he wasn’t and we still lost. How you say? We’ll we have all seen Déjà vu with this franchise and it happened again. Alex Smith INT ends another drive killing a comeback. What can you say when the whole organization stands behind the two people preventing the organization from moving forward. ALEX SMITH / MIKE SINGLETARY both need to go.

6)Oakland(3-4)-Win(17-9) The reason we won this game is because they were Mcfadden-less and Bruce Bruce couldn’t play. If either or were able to play things would probably have been different. Look what happen to the broncos, they got Mcfadden’d, and not to mention Campbell went 8/21 with 2 picks. They had no quarterback play whatsoever and the niner definitely caught a break when Asomugha dropped and easy pick from Alex Smith. Either way I was happy we beat the Raiders, because I hate the Raiders and I hate Al Davis.

7)Panthers(1-5)–Loss-(23-20) Now this should be a easy victory right? They are the only Goose-Egg team besides the Bills playing worse than us. Well keep it real We weren’t winning that game because of Alex Smith we were winning because we finally got Gore so room to run. Alex was 9/19 before getting smacked. Gore was having his way today and when Alex Smith got injured it was over as shown by Carolina shutting down the run because they knew after David Carr’s 25yd shot put first throw came about 10 short of a wide open Vernon Davis. Then came Déjà vu except with a different QB. Turnover INT ends our hopes of winning again.
8)Broncos(2-6)-Win-(24-16) While it was a great win for moral. What does it really prove?....That our coaches and front office really have know idea what they are doing. Why do I say this? Because on one weeks notice Troy Smith who has never ran with the first team office let alone even know the office looked like a better quarterback than Alex smith ever has. He Finally got into his groove in the 4th Quarter and it was like he couldn’t be stopped. Im sorry to me this just secures that Singletary needs to go. Even though people are saying that the decision to go with troy smith was a gamble that paid off…What other decision did he have? Go with David Carr who hasn’t shown that he can even hit open receivers. I mean common Troy Smith should have been starting as soon as they picked him up.

When Shaun Hill glad goes to a team that was (2-14) and says he happier to be there than on an (8-8) team because they had some real issues. To me that’s pretty much tells me all I need to know. Well think again we are now one step away from being the worst team in football. And no matter how much it pains me to say it the Oakland Raiders are better than us even though we beat them. When Singletary was hired I called in to KNBR’s Fitz and Brooks show and that I loved Singletary but that it was to early to make him a head coach. He wasn’t an X’s and O’s guy and that we need to go after a proven winner someone who could bring the game planning mentality that we’ve been missing since Norv Turner. Of course they both disagreed saying that we need to give him a chance and that X’s and O’s are not everything. I proceeded to say that I agreed as long as you have great coordinators behind you.

Super Bowl XLIV
Sean Peyton Saints (Bill Parcells Tree)- Offense X/O’s Guy+ Gregg Willianms D Coordinator
Vs
Jim Caldwell Colts (Tony Dungy Tree)– Offensive X/O’s + Tom Moore O Coordinator
Super Bowl XLIII
Mike Tomlin Steelers (Bill Cowher Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Dick Lebeau D Coordinator
Vs
Ken Whisenhunt Cardinals (Bill Cowher Tree)-Offensive X/O’s Guy+ Todd Haley O Coordinator
Super Bowl XLII
Tom Coughlin Giants (Bill Parcells Tree)- Offensive X/O’s Guy + Steve Spagnola D Coordinator
Vs
Bill Belichick Patriots (Bill Parcells Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Josh Mcdaniels O Coordinator
Super Bowl XLI
Lovie Smith Bears (Tony Dungy Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Ron Rivera D Coordinator
VS
Tony Dungy Colts (Sid Gillman Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Tom Moore O Coordinator
XL
Bill Cowher Steelers ( Marty Schottenheimer Guy) Vs Mike Holmgren Seattle(Bill Walsh Guy)
XXXIX
Bill Belichick Patriots (Parcell guy) Vs Andy Reid Eagles (Bill Walsh Guy)
XXXVIII
Bill Belichick Patriots (Parcells Guy) Vs John Fox Panthers (Chuck Knoll Guy)
XXXVII
Jon Gruden (Bill Walsh/Mike Holmgren guy Vs Bill Calahan (Bill Walsh/Ray Rhodes Guy)
XXXVI
Bill Belichick Patriots (Parcells Guy) Vs Mike Martz (Dick Vermeil Guy/Kinda more his own Guy)

When you look at this list of Super Bowl Coaches, there pedigree and the people they surround themselves with. When you look at the 49ers since the Debartolo Era; Bill Walsh, George Seifert, and Steve Mariucci, Its been down hill. From the Terry Donahue/Dennis Erickson Era then Scott Mccloughlan/Mike Nolan Era to now the Mike Singletary era. Not including all of the horrible draft picks/horrible offensive coordinators/ and horrible decisions by the whole York Family…….I guess my end point is I’m tired of the same ole same ole. After the Carolina loss Mike Singletary says I believe we can still make the playoffs. Are you seriously still trying to feed us this sound bite garbage Mike. Just do it isn’t that still what winners like Nike say. After this season if the niners don’t clean shop. I mean bring in a Cowher/Dungy/Gruden/Parcells someone who will take full control of this organization. Someone who deserves control because of his track record. I’ll just drop my season tickets that have been in my family since 1993. May not be a long time compared to others, but I grew up a 49er fan and I will die a 49er fan and enough is enough. I’m done wasting my hard earned money on a team that does not care about trying to get to the root of a problem. Since 2004, Ive had to look forward to Tim Rattay/Ken Dorsey/Cody Pickett/ Alex Smith/Trent Dilfer/Shaun Hill/Chris “Freakin” Wienke/ JT Osullivan/Nate Davis/David Carr/ and Troy Smith. Only two of whom kind of excite me (Troy and Nate) are trading off running scout team. Now the only reason Troy Smith is starting is because the team has no other option. The team is going nowhere right now and it’s obvious that this regime/QB is not going to get us anywhere close to the playoffs. We need new leadership and it doesn’t start with Jed York. Don’t get me wrong I love his passion for the organization, but give up control man and get someone in here who knows what they are doing. This isn’t Franchise Mode in Madden Jed.

You seriously have me in tears! Best Post of the YEAR!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to print this and hand it on my wall!!!!!
Originally posted by KRS-1:

When Petrino was fired from Atlanta, Emmitt Thomas was promoted to Interim Head Coach. That offseason Mike Smith was hired to take over the Falcons and he decided to keep Thomas on staff in his previous role of defensive backs coach.

Petrino wasn't fired. He quit. With only 3 games left.

We'd be firing the HC and giving the interim 8 games to do something. If he wins some meaningless games than we'll end up right back in the same situation that gave us Sing in the first place.

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:

When Petrino was fired from Atlanta, Emmitt Thomas was promoted to Interim Head Coach. That offseason Mike Smith was hired to take over the Falcons and he decided to keep Thomas on staff in his previous role of defensive backs coach.

Petrino wasn't fired. He quit. With only 3 games left.

We'd be firing the HC and giving the interim 8 games to do something. If he wins some meaningless games than we'll end up right back in the same situation that gave us Sing in the first place.

Petrino quit cause the owner gave the palyers too much elbow room and they ran the team like a bunch of prisoners. They would not even listen to the coach or even show them any respect. They learned their lesson quick and traded the ring leaders quickly.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Yep all the Yorks fault

It's just not that simple.

1) They are who hired him.
2) They are who sticks with him.

How is it not their fault?
2008-(5-4)
10) Arizona(9-7) -Loss- (24-29) Arizona was pretty good they get a pass even though they should have this one
11) St Louis(2-14) –Win- (35-16) Should have won this one
12) Dallas(9-7) –Loss- (22-35) blasted
13) Buffalo(7-9) – Win-(10-3)
14) Jets (9-7) –Win-(24-14) Solid win against Brett Favre playoff run. Patrick willis Smacked Brad Smithby the way.
15) Miami -(11-5)-Loss(9-14) Close loss to a solid Parcells lead Wildcat team.
16) St Louis(2-14) – Win- (17-16) this should have been a sign. Not ready for coachingwhen a 2-14 team almost knocks you off.
17) Washington(8-8)- win-(27-24) game did matter for either team

2009-(8-8)

1)Arizona(10-6)- win-(20-16)Great Win
2)Seahawks(5-11)- win- (23-10) Game we Should win/Seahawks were horrible
3)Vikings(12-4)- Loss-(24-27) Game we Should not have lost found away to lose
4)Rams(1-15)- Win-(35-0) Self explanatory
5)Falcons(9-7)-Loss- (10-45) True test/ and we got smacked
6)Bye
7)Texans(9-7)-Loss-(21-25)- Alex Smith comes in with nothing to lose and throw 3 tds on a prevent Defense.
8)Colts(14-2)-Loss- (14-18)- Right when it looks like we are going to get a good win against a great team our defense take the last drive off and made peyton manning great after 3 ¾ horrible quarters( at least to Peyton standards I would give my left arm for Peyton, but that’s neither here nor there.)
9)Titans(8-8)-Loss- (27-34) Congradulations another lose because of an alex smith INT
10)Bears(7-9)-Win-(10-6) Bears weren’t good and we barely squeaked that one out
11)Packer(11-5)-Loss- (24-30) Score looks closer than it was. 2 4thQuarter TD’s made the score look like it was close
12)Jaguars(7-9)- Win-(20-3) Great win/shut down Mo-Drew(relatively/no big runs or TD’s)
13)Seahawks(5-11)-Loss (17-20) Seriously back to our old selves/ letting slip away
14)Arizona(10-6)-Win (24-9) Great win against a Division Rival needed the win in the playoff hunt.
15)Eagles(11-5)- Loss (13-27) Again we win this game we are in the playoffs( crazy as it sounds) but we showeveryone why we weren’t ready for that. Not only did we lose we got smacked again
16)Lions(2-14)- Win- (20-6) nothing need to be said
17)Rams(1-15)-Win- (28-6) same as above.

Record against team with 500 or better record: 2-7
Record against team with worse than 500 record: 6-1
I mean common now we beat the Rams x2/Lions/Seahawk/Bears/Jaguars/Arizona x2. The wins that actually might be considered good wins were Bears(ehhh)/Jaguars(Mo-Drew is a gamebreaker that’s the only reason I consider it a solid win)/ and beating Arizona twice was more about rivalry, solid wins though. Other than that when it came to true test against playoff caliber teams we either had horrible clock mgmt/horrible coaching mistakes/or just got blown out……In other words we always choked. So lets keep Singletary put Alex Smith back as our starter and win the west …….ARE YOU SERIOUS…..By the way if there was any offseason to pick up not only a new coach but multiple Super Bowl caliber coaches it was this off season …..Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Bill Cohwer, Pete Carroll(super bowl coordinator, kind of a stretch but he’s an X/O’s guy some our whole coaching staff knows nothing about)…..some may have had job before the but the niners could have definitely talked to anyone them before hand to say hey just wait this out we will give you full control……or just switched because some on that list were and still are available.

2010-(1-6)

1)Seahawks(3-2) –Loss-(31-6) why do people read into preseason (4-0) but we come out look flat, no offense and horrible clock mgmt…hmmmmm sounds familiar…anyways it ok we can rebound right?

2)Saints(4-3)–Loss-(25-22) Ok we they are a Super Bowl team and Drew Brees is pretty good other than today with 4 picks. But we gave this game away. We came back only to have Drew Brees driveon us like we were a scout team.

3)Chiefs(4-2)–Loss-(31-10) Ok lets rebound against the chiefs…….NOT…..is it really that hard to call plays that are already game planned out and have right in front of you. Maybe the reason Nate Davis couldn’t get better is because our Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye was making it worse….I mean seriously you “ Ta ta ta TODAY JUNIOR”…End of the Day defense/Offense and Special Teams were not prepared and it showed. Whats funny is how Singletary says Jimmy Raye’s job is not on the line next question, next day ……..NOT…….God that Borat Line must be used so much in that organization.

4)Falcons(5-2)–Loss-(16-14) Gave the game away again/ the game was over but the DRE BLY curse came back to haunt us wait isn’t he gone so wait who was that oh yeah that was the 80 million dollar man Nate the Great. The only question I have is how do you not get down, kids in high school know how to get down and waste time. Clement literally gave the game back to them. Like you know what if I cant score I’m going to fumble trying because this is prolly my last yr with the team and Im still getting paid no matter what. Talk about bonehead.

5)Eagles(4-3)–Loss-(27-24) We come back against a really good eagles team of course it would have been way different if Vick was playing. But he wasn’t and we still lost. How you say? We’ll we have all seen Déjà vu with this franchise and it happened again. Alex Smith INT ends another drive killing a comeback. What can you say when the whole organization stands behind the two people preventing the organization from moving forward. ALEX SMITH / MIKE SINGLETARY both need to go.

6)Oakland(3-4)-Win(17-9) The reason we won this game is because they were Mcfadden-less and Bruce Bruce couldn’t play. If either or were able to play things would probably have been different. Look what happen to the broncos, they got Mcfadden’d, and not to mention Campbell went 8/21 with 2 picks. They had no quarterback play whatsoever and the niner definitely caught a break when Asomugha dropped and easy pick from Alex Smith. Either way I was happy we beat the Raiders, because I hate the Raiders and I hate Al Davis.

7)Panthers(1-5)–Loss-(23-20) Now this should be a easy victory right? They are the only Goose-Egg team besides the Bills playing worse than us. Well keep it real We weren’t winning that game because of Alex Smith we were winning because we finally got Gore so room to run. Alex was 9/19 before getting smacked. Gore was having his way today and when Alex Smith got injured it was over as shown by Carolina shutting down the run because they knew after David Carr’s 25yd shot put first throw came about 10 short of a wide open Vernon Davis. Then came Déjà vu except with a different QB. Turnover INT ends our hopes of winning again.
8)Broncos(2-6)-Win-(24-16) While it was a great win for moral. What does it really prove?....That our coaches and front office really have know idea what they are doing. Why do I say this? Because on one weeks notice Troy Smith who has never ran with the first team office let alone even know the office looked like a better quarterback than Alex smith ever has. He Finally got into his groove in the 4th Quarter and it was like he couldn’t be stopped. Im sorry to me this just secures that Singletary needs to go. Even though people are saying that the decision to go with troy smith was a gamble that paid off…What other decision did he have? Go with David Carr who hasn’t shown that he can even hit open receivers. I mean common Troy Smith should have been starting as soon as they picked him up.

When Shaun Hill glad goes to a team that was (2-14) and says he happier to be there than on an (8-8) team because they had some real issues. To me that’s pretty much tells me all I need to know. Well think again we are now one step away from being the worst team in football. And no matter how much it pains me to say it the Oakland Raiders are better than us even though we beat them. When Singletary was hired I called in to KNBR’s Fitz and Brooks show and that I loved Singletary but that it was to early to make him a head coach. He wasn’t an X’s and O’s guy and that we need to go after a proven winner someone who could bring the game planning mentality that we’ve been missing since Norv Turner. Of course they both disagreed saying that we need to give him a chance and that X’s and O’s are not everything. I proceeded to say that I agreed as long as you have great coordinators behind you.

Super Bowl XLIV
Sean Peyton Saints (Bill Parcells Tree)- Offense X/O’s Guy+ Gregg Willianms D Coordinator
Vs
Jim Caldwell Colts (Tony Dungy Tree)– Offensive X/O’s + Tom Moore O Coordinator
Super Bowl XLIII
Mike Tomlin Steelers (Bill Cowher Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Dick Lebeau D Coordinator
Vs
Ken Whisenhunt Cardinals (Bill Cowher Tree)-Offensive X/O’s Guy+ Todd Haley O Coordinator
Super Bowl XLII
Tom Coughlin Giants (Bill Parcells Tree)- Offensive X/O’s Guy + Steve Spagnola D Coordinator
Vs
Bill Belichick Patriots (Bill Parcells Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Josh Mcdaniels O Coordinator
Super Bowl XLI
Lovie Smith Bears (Tony Dungy Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Ron Rivera D Coordinator
VS
Tony Dungy Colts (Sid Gillman Tree)- Defensive X/O’s Guy + Tom Moore O Coordinator
XL
Bill Cowher Steelers ( Marty Schottenheimer Guy) Vs Mike Holmgren Seattle(Bill Walsh Guy)
XXXIX
Bill Belichick Patriots (Parcell guy) Vs Andy Reid Eagles (Bill Walsh Guy)
XXXVIII
Bill Belichick Patriots (Parcells Guy) Vs John Fox Panthers (Chuck Knoll Guy)
XXXVII
Jon Gruden (Bill Walsh/Mike Holmgren guy Vs Bill Calahan (Bill Walsh/Ray Rhodes Guy)
XXXVI
Bill Belichick Patriots (Parcells Guy) Vs Mike Martz (Dick Vermeil Guy/Kinda more his own Guy)

When you look at this list of Super Bowl Coaches, there pedigree and the people they surround themselves with. When you look at the 49ers since the Debartolo Era; Bill Walsh, George Seifert, and Steve Mariucci, Its been down hill. From the Terry Donahue/Dennis Erickson Era then Scott Mccloughlan/Mike Nolan Era to now the Mike Singletary era. Not including all of the horrible draft picks/horrible offensive coordinators/ and horrible decisions by the whole York Family…….I guess my end point is I’m tired of the same ole same ole. After the Carolina loss Mike Singletary says I believe we can still make the playoffs. Are you seriously still trying to feed us this sound bite garbage Mike. Just do it isn’t that still what winners like Nike say. After this season if the niners don’t clean shop. I mean bring in a Cowher/Dungy/Gruden/Parcells someone who will take full control of this organization. Someone who deserves control because of his track record. I’ll just drop my season tickets that have been in my family since 1993. May not be a long time compared to others, but I grew up a 49er fan and I will die a 49er fan and enough is enough. I’m done wasting my hard earned money on a team that does not care about trying to get to the root of a problem. Since 2004, Ive had to look forward to Tim Rattay/Ken Dorsey/Cody Pickett/ Alex Smith/Trent Dilfer/Shaun Hill/Chris “Freakin” Wienke/ JT Osullivan/Nate Davis/David Carr/ and Troy Smith. Only two of whom kind of excite me (Troy and Nate) are trading off running scout team. Now the only reason Troy Smith is starting is because the team has no other option. The team is going nowhere right now and it’s obvious that this regime/QB is not going to get us anywhere close to the playoffs. We need new leadership and it doesn’t start with Jed York. Don’t get me wrong I love his passion for the organization, but give up control man and get someone in here who knows what they are doing. This isn’t Franchise Mode in Madden Jed.

HOT DAMN I think this is the longest post I've ever seen.

• Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Yep all the Yorks fault

It's just not that simple.

Its actually pretty simple, they are the owners and they hired him, they also hired Nolan and Ericksson before him. They set the tone, therefore its their fault. You see how simple it is.

Rare exception.

Dave Campo left the Cowboys after he was fired as HC. He came back on staff a few years later.

Not really a relevant example imo.
after the carolina loss and all this talk about Singletary being bold starting Troy Smith.

I don't see it as a bold move to do the obvious. He made it pretty clear he didn't like David Carr during the offseason -- without coming out and say it, obviously. After the atrocious showing by Carr in Carolina, Singletary was forced to make the move to Troy Smith. Rest assured he didn't want to do it. Had Alex never gotten hurt, Troy would NEVER have gotten a chance to play, even if Alex was throwing 4 INTs a game.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
not reading all that but i totally agree

How do you know?

The bolded part of his post is also untrue. The main issue with Singletary is his philosophies from 1985 are holding this team back in terms of game planning and his lack of X's and O's knowledge is doing the same. Firing him now and replacing him with a coordinator or assistant who lives in the present day and knows a little something about X's and O's (meaning pretty much any coordinator or positions coach) will eliminate both issues.
Share 49ersWebzone