LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Sense of optimism in the locker room?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Some of you suggest that Alex does not want to win as much as Troy. This is insane. Alex's loyalty and work ethic with this team is unquestioned.

For a long time Alex was known for carefulness with the ball. But he started to press in trying to overcome the poor play of others. He began trying to be someone he wasn't and he paid the price. Teams can win with carefulness. Most games are won by not giving it away.

Look, this team was always shooting itself in the foot. We lead the league in penalties. We lead the league in pressure on the QB. We lead the league in hits on the QB. Yet, Alex was the highest rated QB in the league in the redzone. That counts for something. Look at all the times that our team led going into the final minutes of the game, and our defense failed us.

Alex is our safest bet going forward. But it is time for many other players to do their job.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by dj43:
Anytime you win it is a positive, however, let's not forget; this was DENVER. The Broncos are a mess defensively and in the locker room. McDaniel chased away not only Mike Nolan, who had done a very good job with their defense, but also Brandon Marshall and a couple others that he personally didn't like. In Denver they are talking about McDaniel like we talk about Singletary. Lots of dissension there.

The big test will come after the bye. This was a nice win but we should be guarded in our enthusiasm.

True, but we couldn't even beat winless Carolina a week ago. I don't think we as fans can really appreciate how good this win feels to the players...espcially how they found ways to win, as opposed to inventing new ways to lose winnable games.

exactly. When we lose to Carolina, it's a total team failure, and Alex shouldn't get the blame. When we win against Denver, *it was Denver*, so Troy shouldn't get any credit.

LOL, Alexcuses are not only to relieve Alex of any blame for his classic bust performances, but they are also to relieve other QBs of any credit for their great performances. It's funny how this definition evolves and expands as convenience dictates.

i think its funny that the haters are talking about Troy like the "Alexcusers" talk about Alex.

And don't give me the "oh, we never have good QB play because Alex sucks and so when we get even kinda good QB play we have to celebrate like its the super bowl because Alex sucks, he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked, etc." People are over-hyping Troy Smith and they're the same people who accuse everyone else of over-hyping Alex Smith. its the same delusion.

This.

3 points thru 3 quarters and 37 yards in the first half in the air hardly has me doing cartwheels. It was good to see Gore making plays and the defense step up and create turnovers when we needed them.

Overall it was a nice win, but it was Denver and luck was finally on our side for a few of those plays.
Most of you guys are terrible evaluators of QB talent and what qualities you need. Many of you idealized Rodgers, and look how his performances have come down to earth. Many of you were screaming for McNaab, who Shanihan just benched yesterday. And now you think Troy is the answer. Why don't you hold your opinions until you have sharpened your ability to evaluate. Check back with us then.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Most of you guys are terrible evaluators of QB talent and what qualities you need. Many of you idealized Rodgers, and look how his performances have come down to earth. Many of you were screaming for McNaab, who Shanihan just benched yesterday. And now you think Troy is the answer. Why don't you hold your opinions until you have sharpened your ability to evaluate. Check back with us then.

When Troy was given some plays he made them.

idk how you can't see that as answer to what this team needs this season
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM ]
Anytime you win it is a positive, however, let's not forget; this was DENVER. The Broncos are a mess defensively and in the locker room. McDaniel chased away not only Mike Nolan, who had done a very good job with their defense, but also Brandon Marshall and a couple others that he personally didn't like. In Denver they are talking about McDaniel like we talk about Singletary. Lots of dissension there.

The big test will come after the bye. This was a nice win but we should be guarded in our enthusiasm.

True, but we couldn't even beat winless Carolina a week ago. I don't think we as fans can really appreciate how good this win feels to the players...espcially how they found ways to win, as opposed to inventing new ways to lose winnable games.

exactly. When we lose to Carolina, it's a total team failure, and Alex shouldn't get the blame. When we win against Denver, *it was Denver*, so Troy shouldn't get any credit.

LOL, Alexcuses are not only to relieve Alex of any blame for his classic bust performances, but they are also to relieve other QBs of any credit for their great performances. It's funny how this definition evolves and expands as convenience dictates.

i think its funny that the haters are talking about Troy like the "Alexcusers" talk about Alex.

And don't give me the "oh, we never have good QB play because Alex sucks and so when we get even kinda good QB play we have to celebrate like its the super bowl because Alex sucks, he's the suckiest suck that ever sucked, etc." People are over-hyping Troy Smith and they're the same people who accuse everyone else of over-hyping Alex Smith. its the same delusion.

we are thursty for good qb play so when we see a mirage we drink the coolaide untill other wise !
Originally posted by cNiner:

we are thursty for good qb play so when we see a mirage we drink the coolaide untill other wise !

are you being sarcastic?
Some of you suggest that Alex does not want to win as much as Troy. This is insane. Alex's loyalty and work ethic with this team is unquestioned.

For a long time Alex was known for carefulness with the ball. But he started to press in trying to overcome the poor play of others. He began trying to be someone he wasn't and he paid the price. Teams can win with carefulness. Most games are won by not giving it away.

Look, this team was always shooting itself in the foot. We lead the league in penalties. We lead the league in pressure on the QB. We lead the league in hits on the QB. Yet, Alex was the highest rated QB in the league in the redzone. That counts for something. Look at all the times that our team led going into the final minutes of the game, and our defense failed us.

Alex is our safest bet going forward. But it is time for many other players to do their job.

Although I agree with some of your points, I must respectfully disagree with what you say about Alex Smith.

Yes, this team has a long ways to go in many respects. Face it, we are starting two rookies on O and one on D (Mays), and another plays alot on D (Bowman). If each one of those guys makes a mistake each week, that's four (4) mistakes or penalties to overcome, each week. If one or more of them makes multiple mistakes (i.e., Anthony Davis), then there's even more to overcome.

Troy Smith took the same team that Alex has gone 1 & 6 with, with the same rookies and the same playbook and the same issues, and very little preparation time, and he played well. No INTs at crucial moments, no fumbles, no turnovers. No panic when the pressure was on. His TD pass to Crabtree was a thing of beauty, and a pass I have yet to see Alex even attempt.

The team still gave Orton far too much time in the pocket, and still relies far too much on Gore and the run game at times, but T. Smith overcame those problems and pulled out a win in his only start. A. Smith did that how often over the previous seven games?

I like Alex, and admire his courage and tenacity. A lesser man would have given up long ago and moved on, counting his money on the way. He may yet have a role in this league as a backup or a starter--but I believe it will be and should be elsewhere.

As a Niner fan, I've seen enough of Alex, and I believe its time for the team to move on, and time for Alex to move on as well.

Troy Smith may or may not be the answer, but its time to find out, IMHO. Enough with the "safe bet" and the conservative ways, lets get aggressive and play some football!
Originally posted by HomerJ:

This.

3 points thru 3 quarters and 37 yards in the first half in the air hardly has me doing cartwheels. It was good to see Gore making plays and the defense step up and create turnovers when we needed them.

Overall it was a nice win, but it was Denver and luck was finally on our side for a few of those plays.

the thing is, if Alex had had the same first half performance as Troy, people would have been exploding with rage. And then if Alex had had the 4th quarter that Troy did, they would have done nothing but talk about how crappy he was for 3 quarters.

We're all excited and intrigued about Troy Smith. So let's not make it about Alex anymore. Let's try to look at Troy objectively. He had a nice game, it was a much needed win, and he deserves more opportunities. Lets see what he does with it.

You're a joke.

Nobody "idealized" Rodgers; it's just a simple fact though that he's a much better QB than Alex Smith is/ever will be. Every single fact/stat objectively proves that and only the most cynical and biased fans would disagree. Same could be said for McNabb, regardless of what happened yesterday. Some of the best QBs in history have been benched at times, so that literally means nothing. But even McNabb (who's played only slightly better than Alex this year) has found ways to win 4 games this year. To me, that's all that matter.

Regarding Troy, he may not be the long term answer (nobody knows yet), but he's at least worth starting over Alex for the time being to see what he can do based on the poise, leadership and playmaking abilities he showed in that crucial 4th quarter...and it doesn't take an NFL QB analyst to figure that out.

So this isn't about people saying these other guys are golden gods or anything like that. It's simply about stating the obvious: We need an upgrade over Alex, any/all of the names you threw out there would suffice.

And as to "holding our opinions"...this is an internet forum. Take a wild guess as to what that means.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Well for sure Delaine like the guy already. And the celebration between Crabtree and Troy Smith after the TD was exciting.

But guys like Vernon and Gore are big Alex Smith supporters. I wonder how their perspective is now.

I know the OL likes Troy's ability to move around back there, it covers there a$$es more times than none.

Vernon and Gore are bigger supporters of a win.

C'mon, Man!

The refs took two Denver TD's off the board (flea-flicker to Lloyd and a Royal punt return). That's the only thing between this 2nd win and a 7th loss.

Let Troy Smith play, but only because neither Alex Smith nor David Carr are coming back in 2011. Optimism for 2010? No way. None of these players are listening to Singletary any more. They are now only playing to improive their own marketability with other teams. Watch the exodus at the end of the season.
Originally posted by HomerJ:

This.

At one point, we ran 29 times to 15 passes. Alex hasn't been held down to this extent. He's played terrible even when we pass heavy. The only time Alex has shown anything is has been out of one specific type of formation in terms of where he stands.

Once we passed more with Troy (out of any formation) he did well. Quarter by quarter stats:

4 for 6 with 83 rating
0 for 3 with 39 rating
3 for 4 with 116 rating
5 for 6 with 158 rating

So, he only had one bad quarter where we only called 3 pass plays or he only threw 3 times.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
C'mon, Man!

The refs took two Denver TD's off the board (flea-flicker to Lloyd and a Royal punt return). That's the only thing between this 2nd win and a 7th loss.

Let Troy Smith play, but only because neither Alex Smith nor David Carr are coming back in 2011. Optimism for 2010? No way. None of these players are listening to Singletary any more. They are now only playing to improive their own marketability with other teams. Watch the exodus at the end of the season.

Denver also got two free first downs because of bad calls on our DL.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
C'mon, Man!

Not sure what you meant by this comment.

if they were phantom penalties then yeah we should of lost, but they weren't.

Now trying to sack a QB thats ducking and getting a roughing the passer could of sent this game into a blowout
Troy did not play that well. Good fortune smiled on him yesterday. He was lucky he was not intercepted on the high risk pass to Walker, and he got a lucky bounce on his fumble (yes, he did fumble). The defense played well yesterday, which really helped him.

Am I saying he won't be good, Not at all. I am contending that his future success is still up in the air. "Let's try him out," some of you say. "What do we have to lose?" I thought you wanted to win the division this year. Or would you rather use this year to "experiment?" Go ahead and experiment, but I don't want to hear you crying if he begins to lose games because of high risk passes that backfire.

The Alex haters explained that they wanted to move on from Alex because they were convinced he was not an "elite top 5 or 10 QB."

But they seem excited about using Troy. Does that mean they have decided he has the potential to be a top 5 or 10? What are the chances of that? These guys do not come along that easily. The chances are that Troy may only end up average, at best. So you have changed your standards?
Share 49ersWebzone