LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 168 users in the forums

This was more skill than luck!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Could've, would've, should've. If Favre had thrown it everyone would be saying how great a pass it was. Troy and Delanie got together and he told Delanie to go deep and if he got behind the defender he'd hit him. He did and he did. Nuff said. Great play.
When did NT become so skilled at staring a gift horse in the mouth? Sheesh. It was a great play that was absolutely thrilling to watch. Is it because we've been watching losers for so long that that is our expectation? It's almost like if we win, it's so f--king unbelievable that the win must be dissected and picked apart and invalidated.

It also seems like a lot Alex zealots are behind the campaign to marginalize this play. F--k the idea of Alex QB'ing this team anymore. He needs a change of scenery, the rest of the players and fans need a change of scenery. I am so annoyed by you as well as the idiots on the other side of the coin swinging from Nate Davis' nuts.

As I have stated in other threads, this play changed the makeup of the whole game which up to that point had to have been a league wide embarrassment of epic proportions. 3-0 at halftime? Really?

Call it what you want. It was something no 9er fan has seen since Garcia came back against the Giants in the playoffs forever ago.
IMO, Luck or no Luck plays like this happen in football. That's why we watch football. We can go and say the Catch I and the Catch II were both pure LUCK. We can also say that Brett Favre's TD pass in the final seconds last season that ripped our hearts out was also LUCK..It's football.
was it lucky that broncos blew the coverage on the crabtree score, or was that a great pass too?
Originally posted by hofer36:
was it lucky that broncos blew the coverage on the crabtree score, or was that a great pass too?

That was luck too,

The sun was in his eyes and he threw left handed
If you think that was more skill than luck, you are just plain ignorant, that was a wing and a prayer, and the luck went our way, we were sure as hell due. Great play by Walker to go up and get it, because it was sure as hell up for grabs.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
When did NT become so skilled at staring a gift horse in the mouth? Sheesh. It was a great play that was absolutely thrilling to watch. Is it because we've been watching losers for so long that that is our expectation? It's almost like if we win, it's so f--king unbelievable that the win must be dissected and picked apart and invalidated.

It also seems like a lot Alex zealots are behind the campaign to marginalize this play. F--k the idea of Alex QB'ing this team anymore. He needs a change of scenery, the rest of the players and fans need a change of scenery. I am so annoyed by you as well as the idiots on the other side of the coin swinging from Nate Davis' nuts.

As I have stated in other threads, this play changed the makeup of the whole game which up to that point had to have been a league wide embarrassment of epic proportions. 3-0 at halftime? Really?

Call it what you want. It was something no 9er fan has seen since Garcia came back against the Giants in the playoffs forever ago.

Wow dude. You're comparing this game to our last playoff appearance? The second greatest comeback win in Niner playoff history? Really........? This isn't about alex smith. If alex would've made that same exact play everyone here would call it for what it was. Luck. A bad decision and a lucky catch. That being said I'll take a lucky catch like that any day
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by aTx49er:

Wow dude. You're comparing this game to our last playoff appearance? The second greatest comeback win in Niner playoff history? Really........? This isn't about alex smith. If alex would've made that same exact play everyone here would call it for what it was. Luck. A bad decision and a lucky catch. That being said I'll take a lucky catch like that any day

I think it absolutely is about Alex Smith. If it wasn't for the huge divide Smith has caused among fans on this forum, this wouldn't even be up for debate. Everyone would realize it was a lucky play and we'd all just be celebrating and laughing about it instead of arguing like it's Joe vs. Steve.

Yeesh.
It was pure leadership. Only a leader would make that throw.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:
It was pure leadership. Only a leader would make that throw.

I dunno.... I might have to check the film on that one.

I like Troy and i give credit where it's due. But this whole thing feels exactly like the time JT OSullivan smoked the Packers during pre season in 2008. Everyone grabbed his nuts and began swinging because he had a 158.3 rating and...of course...Alex has never done that or Shaun has never done that. Then someone made that cropped picture of JTO looking like Montana.

I have nothing but support for Troy Smith but some of you are getting way ahead of yourself and are setting yourself up for major dissapointment.

I hope I'm wrong but history shows other wise with these wonder boy back ups (Pickett, Grbac, Dilfer, OSullivan, Hill, and even Alex Smith).

I'll believe it when I see consistent play.
If afforded the same opportunity as Alex Smith, Troy Smith would be better.
It was like a fade away jumpshot
Originally posted by Leathaface:
If afforded the same opportunity as Alex Smith, Troy Smith would be better.

So injuries and a revolving door at coordinators would make Troy Smith better?

Or do you mean game prep time?
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I like Troy and i give credit where it's due. But this whole thing feels exactly like the time JT OSullivan smoked the Packers during pre season in 2008. Everyone grabbed his nuts and began swinging because he had a 158.3 rating and...of course...Alex has never done that or Shaun has never done that. Then someone made that cropped picture of JTO looking like Montana.

I have nothing but support for Troy Smith but some of you are getting way ahead of yourself and are setting yourself up for major dissapointment.

I hope I'm wrong but history shows other wise with these wonder boy back ups (Pickett, Grbac, Dilfer, OSullivan, Hill, and even Alex Smith).

I'll believe it when I see consistent play.

But what you are saying is the argument repeatedly made against Alex Smith: these guys are coming in and doing the same and some things better than Alex Smith.

All of the QB's you have listed can perform as well as Smith has in all of his starts. We are only hoping one of these guys, in this case Troy, takes that other step up. Alex, as well as all of these guys has been no better than a backup holding fort until the starter comes in.

This is the main evidence against Alex.
Share 49ersWebzone