There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

play calling on our last drive with the game on the line

It really was and I like Singletary but when they finally let Troy Smith throw the ball I was like wow, but yes the playcalling on offense was poor the entire game and I think the players won the game inspite of it. Watching that fullback dive up the middle on the one-yard line was painful.
Originally posted by English:
The playcalling was poor all game
Originally posted by Shaj:

The one thing I agreed with was that when we were a few yards from a TD one of the times, I kept thinking "do a bootleg and have Troy run it in", because we always just run it up the gut (most predictable and unfysical play in our goal-line arsenal), and because Troy is so mobile. And that is exactly what they did. I loved it!

To be fair though, nobody knew what they had in Troy, they had to come in with a run-first mentality. And there were second half adjustments to have him throw more. I will reserve judgment until next game.

So you think this was a called play? I was at the other end of the pitch but I thought it was a broken play. Troy seemed to wait quite a time before running. Not sure. Anyway, the rest was very so-so but it was a great result.

And for everyone saying they will wait and see how the Rams game goes: One Game At A Time.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by susweel:
It was typical Singletary.

This.

Not to mention, when Sing finally decides to give Gore a rest, the game is on the line. Go figure... The man defies logic by the amount of stupidity he exudes.

Totally agree - crazy.
Lets not get too excited - we may have seen the limits of Troy Smith. He did okay with a limited game plan. But maybe his exit from Baltimore had less to do with his physical tools and more to do with his limited ability to handle the whole playbook.

Then again, the 49ers offensive game plan is so simple it'll be perfect match.
Originally posted by contrarios:
Jed,

Call Gruden!
agree, go for the kill! Our D isn't good enough to rely on.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by susweel:
It was typical Singletary.

This.

Not to mention, when Sing finally decides to give Gore a rest, the game is on the line. Go figure... The man defies logic by the amount of stupidity he exudes.

Originally posted by WestCoast:
i woulda done a play action bootleg and have smith have the option to run or pass, but what do i know...

no my friend, you are correct. Smith had done nothing to show that we could not trust him. Why run three times and get no yardage? we could have easily done a play action roll out, and give him the option to run or find walker or davis. I was thinking that we would pass on 2nd down during that drive, it stunned me and for a second I thought we would give up a sure touchdown, especially when Royal almost returned the punt for a TD.

That was almost too close to call...the interception by Spencer though was sweet...I'm glad he was able to get it. I love spenc.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
reminded me of last year against Minnesota.
It was pathetic, IMO. At least it didn't cost us the game.

Exactly! I never yelled so much during the course of this game. This so-called coach of ours had his hand in so much of this play-calling.
I kept saying... "one first down and this game is over!?!"

And accoring to his post-game talk, he said that having Dixon in there was becasue... "he wanted fresh legs in there..."

Glad for the win too, but he could've easily been the goat.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
agree, go for the kill! Our D isn't good enough to rely on.

but, but, but... they were yesterday
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:

The one thing I agreed with was that when we were a few yards from a TD one of the times, I kept thinking "do a bootleg and have Troy run it in", because we always just run it up the gut (most predictable and unfysical play in our goal-line arsenal), and because Troy is so mobile. And that is exactly what they did. I loved it!

To be fair though, nobody knew what they had in Troy, they had to come in with a run-first mentality. And there were second half adjustments to have him throw more. I will reserve judgment until next game.

So you think this was a called play? I was at the other end of the pitch but I thought it was a broken play. Troy seemed to wait quite a time before running. Not sure. Anyway, the rest was very so-so but it was a great result.

And for everyone saying they will wait and see how the Rams game goes: One Game At A Time.

That's how it looked to me. I thought Troy only pretended to pass to throw off the defense. That was my impression anyways.
So glad we won but the play calling yesterday was horrible. We continue to try and plow ahead up the middle with Gore. A few times yesterday we actually pitched it or ran off tackle and gain good yards. But when it counted, he went back to the middle plowing. Killing me.

As far as Dixon in the end...It shows how this team is not coached right. The biggest moment of the game and we insert a rookie with hardly any carries. If he fumbles, they are right there in the red zone and everyone would have called for his head. If there is ever a time to trust a pro bowl back, this was it.

And a first down would have ended it.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Smith didn't know a lot of the playbook, the defense had been playing good, and there were no turnovers at that point.

And we won the game. I'll take it

What playbook? We ran the same plays we ran with A.Smith as we did Troy. We have 15 plays tops and 11 of them are runs up the middle. Our playbook could fit on a napkin from Dennys. Other than that im like you about the teams performance.
This we ran the same bootleg 5x in that game, that we run 15 times a game with alex smith.. I can't believe they keep running it, it only works like 10% of the time.

The defense wasn't playing that good, the broncos were just sucking. When the broncos decided to play, they were tossing deep bombs like they were playing catch with little kids.

Our pass d blows
mansukys late game playcalls blow
ever since nolan, when we get the ball back at the end of a game, expect 3 straight runs..
Originally posted by WestCoast:
i woulda done a play action bootleg and have smith have the option to run or pass, but what do i know...

gary plummer mentioned the same thing on the air. run/pass option. even if he ran it and didn't get the first, it would have been refreshing to know that it's not all on gore (dixon in this case) t close the deal.
With the play calling sucking we cannot expect to win but about 30% of our games. In those we must be mistake free. Seems we play not to lose rather than play to win. We would be a much better team with a different game philosophy. We should always be attacking and we should continue to attack until the clock runs out. That is how you win in today's game. This is why coach Sing will not be a head coach past this season.