There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
It doesn't matter. Even if Troy Smith wins the games and does great, our hard-headed coach will put in Alex. It took Michael Lewis quitting the team before putting the dynamic rookie Mays out there.

well Mr Dynamic also gave up a huge play of 40 yards

Maybe so, but at least he can catch up to the guy. Mr. Lewis, on the other hand, gave up plays continuously for 2 years. And was slower than an O Lineman.

And he's a rookie and will learn from his mistakes. See, Mays has these things called potential, youth, and talent. Michael Lewis had this thing called old age, a rattled brain, and proven s**tty instinct to the ball.

The point is -- Mike Singletary will put Alex Smith out there no matter what. He's kept that scrub Chilo Rachal (who actually wasn't too bad today, surprisingly) in the starting line-up all season.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by gtowns:
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

if Alex was playing was playing we would have lost to a crappy team.... Panthers?

Don't be a Tool. #11 was playing pretty decently and got injured on a missed block.

~Ceadder

Seriously, Ceadder?

STOP INCITING!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley

At the same time, our play-calling was even more atrocious. Troy should have been given more chances to throw. Denver's defense wasn't an advantage for Troy due to the off-setting disadvantage of having our play-calling.

If you're gonna make excuses, make them both ways.

I'm not making up excuses. He played well.

All I'm saying is it's one game against a bad defense. I'm going to need a bigger window before I endorse or jump. I'm not an Alex supporter this has nothing to do with me trying to sell you that Alex should still be the man here. I'm all for giving Troy his oppurtunity the next few weeks.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 31, 2010 at 2:28 PM ]
Before some of you go off and crown Troy as our savior, keep in mind that his performance is based off of one game, against a weak defense that allowed the Raiders to score 59 points in three quarters.

In addition, Troy averted two likely disasters: the deep pass that in most cases would have been a stupid throw and an INT. The other was where the ball simply came out of Troy's hands (the haters would have screeched "small hands" if it had been Alex). With luck going Troy's way today, the ball bounced right back into his hands.

I noticed that our benchmark, the inimitable Mr. Rodgers, has now had the following QB rating over the last four weeks: 75.7, 84.4, 84.8, and today 59.7. It averages 76.1. Over the same period of time our much maligned Alex Smith has averaged 89.2. It just goes to show you that past reputation does not always ensure that the same results will continue.
At this point Alex project is going no where, he can not read quick enough and dumps the ball.

I liked troy's mobility, arm strength and ability to read coverage/decision quickly. He is a 3rd string and one less than a week of prep with no turnovers pretty good in most books.
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

At the same time, our play-calling was even more atrocious. Troy should have been given more chances to throw. Denver's defense wasn't an advantage for Troy due to the off-setting disadvantage of having our play-calling.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Considering the play calling all season long has put our QBs' in a position of having to play catchup regardless of the points put on the board in the first half.

But I forgot it's all on #11. Get real.

~Ceadder

Give me a break. I don't want to get into much of an argument with you because you'll go snitching to the mods when you can't take what's being said, but you're not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree if you think Alex Smith's play-calling was EVER as bad as Troy Smith's was today. Once Mike Johnson came in, Alex was getting good plays called. Today was probably Singletary's doing, but it was the most vanilla gameplan in years - worse than anything Jimmy Raye ever did.
Originally posted by Ang:
Alex got a Win too and the team that he beat kicked the hell out of the team that Troy Smith just beat.

So I think maybe we should dial back the blind hatred and let's see where we're at. If Sing makes the move then I'll cheer on Troy Smith. If not then I cheer on Alex Smith.

Man, 186 votes and over 3/4 of them in favor of a guy who barely beat a crappy Denver team. Unreal.

~Ceadder

if Alex was playing was playing we would have lost to a crappy team.... Panthers?

Don't be a Tool. #11 was playing pretty decently and got injured on a missed block.

~Ceadder

Seriously, Ceadder?

STOP INCITING!

Ceadder's the Randy Orton of the boards, he always knows all the right things to piss ya off.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

... and a limited playbook. This may adversely catch up to him, but it was a benefit for 1 game around the corner.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Considering the play calling all season long has put our QBs' in a position of having to play catchup regardless of the points put on the board in the first half.

~Ceadder

Give me a break. I don't want to get into much of an argument with you because you'll go snitching to the mods when you can't take what's being said, but you're not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree if you think Alex Smith's play-calling was EVER as bad as Troy Smith's was today. Once Mike Johnson came in, Alex was getting good plays called. Today was probably Singletary's doing, but it was the most vanilla gameplan in years - worse than anything Jimmy Raye ever did.

Originally posted by Peanut49:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I'd rather watch Alex play, and throw 1 TD, 2 ints, and go 12/30 with crappy pocket presence that gets his WRs killed, than watch some dude who just plays lucky with great footwork, who's receivers just manage to finally find some RAC/TD space on 'lucky' plays.

Yup, I want the guy who's so weak his TE has to motivate him into standing up to his coach when he gets benched. -I want a QB who lacks so much depth in leadership it takes him 6 years to figure it out.

some of these guys will ride with Alex no matter what... He has never had a winning season and never will... Sorry

Not that big of a deal, but he went 5-5 last year.[/quote

Yea and I was with him at that point, but this 1-6 stuff has me ready to let him go. 6years is a long time to still have him as a liability, and to be trying to win despite him.
Definitely Troy Smith. Now the guy has 2 weeks to prepare for the next game. 2 weeks of practice to get in timing with the first team offense.
f you think Alex Smith's play-calling was EVER as bad as Troy Smith's was today. Once Mike Johnson came in, Alex was getting good plays called. Today was probably Singletary's doing, but it was the most vanilla gameplan in years - worse than anything Jimmy Raye ever did.

Today, our OL protection was actually good... really was. Sure, the Broncs are ranked 30th in defense, and are 27th in sacks...

~Ceadder

Really?? Ever heard of Jimmie Raye? I strongly disagree with the bolded.
I'll take singe one over double 1

#1 over #11.

I might even bye red tape to over up one of the 1s on Alex's jersey