LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

What if Alex Smith was drafted by Andy Reid?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
The reason of this thread is not to discuss Alex's flaws. We already all know them and discussed the hell out of them over the years. I brought this up because I don't think there is any other coach in this league that could have made gold out of Kolb. I think Kolb is pretty average and he is only succeeding because of Reid's system and tutilage. I would bet anything if the Eagles let Kolb go and keep Vick, he will not succeed anywhere else. He is like another Matt Cassell to me. The Chiefs have had Cassell for 3 years now and he still isn't doing that great. The Chiefs are winning, but it's not because of him. I personally think Reid could have made Alex a great QB if he could make a guy like Kolb a good one.

Agreed. Not sure about great (really, who knows) but anyone saying he wouldn't have made Smith better (or even just the consistency alone wouldn't have made Smith better) is too blinded by their hatred of Smith to even be slightly reasonable about how modest the proposition is, imo.

How can Andy Ried fix his accuracy problems ??

Alex is more accurate than McChoke, and 'Choke did fine with Reid.

I rather have McChoke (cause of playoff resume) than Captain Choke

McChoke right now is playing worse than Alex, with one of the best Offensive minds in the last two decades.

Redskins - 4-3
49ers - 1-6

thats what matters............
  • dj43
Originally posted by boast:
The reason of this thread is not to discuss Alex's flaws. We already all know them and discussed the hell out of them over the years. I brought this up because I don't think there is any other coach in this league that could have made gold out of Kolb. I think Kolb is pretty average and he is only succeeding because of Reid's system and tutilage. I would bet anything if the Eagles let Kolb go and keep Vick, he will not succeed anywhere else. He is like another Matt Cassell to me. The Chiefs have had Cassell for 3 years now and he still isn't doing that great. The Chiefs are winning, but it's not because of him. I personally think Reid could have made Alex a great QB if he could make a guy like Kolb a good one.

Agreed. Not sure about great (really, who knows) but anyone saying he wouldn't have made Smith better (or even just the consistency alone wouldn't have made Smith better) is too blinded by their hatred of Smith to even be slightly reasonable about how modest the proposition is, imo.

great resume.

choked in 4 NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl. all basically on McChoke, too.

at least he say he was there, what can alex say?? Ohh, I know: The OL, WR's, different OC, HC, bad weather, I was a captain, I took a paycut, etc, etc.
Yes, Alex Smith can LEGITIMATELY make all of those claims, along with an unequalled time spent with the worst string of offensively incompetent head coaches the league has seen in a decade.

Look around the league. Study the last 6 years of other teams. It was WIDELY reported that when Smith came to the team the talent level was BELOW that of most first year expansion teams. On top of that, the group of assistants Nolan brought on where picked from the scrap pile that other teams had turned aside. Look at the history of position coaches that have come through this franchise since Nolan was hired. They were all either awful re-treads like George Warhop, or very inexperienced, out of their element guys like Jim Hostler. The poster child for inexperienced, incompetent coaches is now the HC.

That is what Alex Smith can claim...and do it legitimately...and as Collinsworth and others have noted, Smith will have a rather long line of suitors from which to choose, and the first he will reject is this sorry franchise.
Originally posted by dj43:

It is very interesting to note that McNabb, now out of Reid's system, has an identical rating to Smith's. That should say a lot about Reid and his impact on the play of the QB.

He's in a completely different system for the first time in his career. He deserves a break.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

great resume.

choked in 4 NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl. all basically on McChoke, too.

at least he say he was there, what can alex say?? Ohh, I know: The OL, WR's, different OC, HC, bad weather, I was a captain, I took a paycut, etc, etc.
Yes, Alex Smith can LEGITIMATELY make all of those claims, along with an unequalled time spent with the worst string of offensively incompetent head coaches the league has seen in a decade.

Look around the league. Study the last 6 years of other teams. It was WIDELY reported that when Smith came to the team the talent level was BELOW that of most first year expansion teams. On top of that, the group of assistants Nolan brought on where picked from the scrap pile that other teams had turned aside. Look at the history of position coaches that have come through this franchise since Nolan was hired. They were all either awful re-treads like George Warhop, or very inexperienced, out of their element guys like Jim Hostler. The poster child for inexperienced, incompetent coaches is now the HC.

That is what Alex Smith can claim...and do it legitimately...and as Collinsworth and others have noted, Smith will have a rather long line of suitors from which to choose, and the first he will reject is this sorry franchise.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
^same old tired gif like your same old tired argument.
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:

It is very interesting to note that McNabb, now out of Reid's system, has an identical rating to Smith's. That should say a lot about Reid and his impact on the play of the QB.

He's in a completely different system for the first time in his career. He deserves a break.

It's not a completely different system.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
^same old tired gif like your same old tired argument.

same old alex, same old excuses
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Thats your opinion and thats wrong.
  • dj43
Originally posted by PlasmaHero:

That's not the way the argument has been stated.

The point was that any good QB could come into another situation and make it much better, ie., McNabb in SF would be MUCH better than Smith. Well....statistically, that has not proven to be the case.

The Redskins have a better record NOT because of McNabb but because their defense has been much better than the 49ers. As we all know, the 49er defense gave away two victories.

Also, Shanahan's offense is light years better than Raye/Sing. That SHOULD result in a couple more wins...or does that not count for anything?
[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:13 PM ]
and then we get Rogers??????

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Not even close.

Alex's biggest flaw is his inconsistency. This is not something we have seen only this year. This has been the focal point of his career, despite playing in numerous systems. And although a lot may come out and say that the systems themselves were the problem and/or the fact that Alex never had any continuity in any of them, that theory was debunked this season when.......despite having the SAME OC, the SAME playbook, and SAME player personnel.......Alex continued to be inconsistent.

Andy Reid would not have changed that.

it doesnt help his inconsistency when all we give him is inconsistency! just sayin
I think Alex's performance as starter would be the same if he went to Philly. I think Reid would've drop him/signed another QB/ or drafted another QB. Not just Reid would do this but Philly fans would've welcomed change after lose after lose.
Originally posted by digital9er:
I think Alex's performance as starter would be the same if he went to Philly. I think Reid would've drop him/signed another QB/ or drafted another QB. Not just Reid would do this but Philly fans would've welcomed change after lose after lose.

• dj43
Originally posted by digital9er:

I think we are all aware of Philly fans.

That being said, to say with any kind of assurance that Smith would have had the same troubles in Philly as he has had here denies all the opinions of pro football observers that have noted that Smith has had as tough a road with the 49ers as any QB in the league over that period of time.

On one hand, Andy Reid is widely respected as one of the best and brightest coaches in the league who has maintained a high level of performance for over a decade. On the other, we have the parade of numbskulls that have plagued Candlestick Park ever since Mariucci was fired. The two situations could not be more different for the players.

Much of the talk about it "all being on Alex" this pre-season was predicated on the fact he had the same OC as last year...and all of THAT talk was predicated on the plans and plays of that same OC and based on the assumption that OC was competent. Now we know he wasn't. Another year, another OC, and respected league observers like John Clayton continue to call the 49ers a "big mess."

Thats your opinion and thats wrong.

If you bothered to check the stats, you would see that Smith is completing a higher percentage of his passes. Thanks for your opinion though.
Share 49ersWebzone