LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Stubborn. Johnson wont change gameplan to suit Troy Smith's legs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by GORO:
Maybe Sing is the stubborn one. He choose this guy to start not Johnson. Maybe Johnson knows that they will be both out of a job at years end and will not change to game plan so it will show that Sing is the dictator and this Offense will never reach it's potential. It will also make it easy for him to get another job, when every body will see that Troy Smith sucks and was Mike Sings choice.

The best Qb on the team is on the practice squad.

maybe Johnson told Sing to tell the world that Troy was starting and the practice squad qb can't even call the plays right 57 zipper hero I mean left uh go go go go go go go go go gore up the middle (you don't know me)
Originally posted by lamontb:
Really you don't need to design plays for him to run. Breaking tackles and making throws in a disruptive pocket is what's it's about if you are considered a good running qb. He can make those plays on his own.

That's what I'm hoping for, a lotta "screw this, I'm taking off." With luck that'll actually open up the secondary a bit as the game progresses.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Maybe Johnson is just saying that not to tip his hat but it seems foolish to me. I dont this. Shouldnt every gameplan be suited to either take advantage of the other teams weakness and/or put our players in positions to do what they do well? If Troy is mobile turn him loose!

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/SPLH1G3KQ6.DTL#ixzz13lZmi9ic

Who cares , less just end this season and fire Sing .
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I wonder if they have been working on Troy Smith's roll right & throw the ball away technique?

So Sad...
Johnson has stated that Nate Davis is "one of his favorite" players on the team. He did not want Troy Smith to start. It was Singletary's decision.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Johnson has stated that Nate Davis is "one of his favorite" players on the team. He did not want Troy Smith to start. It was Singletary's decision.

1) What is your source that he did not want Troy Smith to start? If it's the SF Gate article by David White, you misread the headline and didn't read the article. He did not say that he "didn't want" Troy Smith to start.

2) What is your source that Nate Davis is "one of his favorite" people on the team? He advocated for drafting him in the 5th round, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. Where does this statement come from?

3) Are you really suggesting that if he had his way Johnson would risk what might be the only OC shot he'll ever get on a PS player who cleared waivers and can't learn the offense? I'd find this surprising.
The way this OL blocks , he will be running for his life anyhow . So no need to game play for that.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I wonder if they have been working on Troy Smith's roll right & throw the ball away technique?

So Sad...

Pathetic
Stubborn=Singletary
Originally posted by socal9er42:
"Hello. Denver Broncos? My name is Mike Johnson. 49ers OC. Hey, in case you guys haven't heard, our starting QB is out, and we decided Carr couldn't cut it. We're starting a guy with good legs instead, and I thought I'd give you a quick heads up that I put in a bunch of new plays that take advantage of his speed and athleticism. Wouldn't want you guys to look confused in a game being played on an international stage".

Isn't that what we do every game as it is?

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

1) What is your source that he did not want Troy Smith to start? If it's the SF Gate article by David White, you misread the headline and didn't read the article. He did not say that he "didn't want" Troy Smith to start.

2) What is your source that Nate Davis is "one of his favorite" people on the team? He advocated for drafting him in the 5th round, but that was 2 1/2 years ago. Where does this statement come from?

3) Are you really suggesting that if he had his way Johnson would risk what might be the only OC shot he'll ever get on a PS player who cleared waivers and can't learn the offense? I'd find this surprising.

Popeye, I wasn't able to dig up the "one of my favorites" quote while dinner was on the stove, but it's a generally known quotation and I believe most would agree it doesn't require citation. If memory serves, it came into common currency during camp or between OTA's and camp.

I'll try again after dinner. It's never a bad idea to make certain you have your ducks in a row. After all, these things can take on a life of their own and it's never a bad idea to re-check the primary source. Although I don't think that is necessary in this instance.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:

And re: Nate :

Quote:
Johnson echoed Mike Singletary's sentiment from earlier this year that Davis must improve his work ethic, but he said that there are signs that transformation is occurring. "He's better focused and he's working harder," Johnson said.

Well I'm sure Johnson can't say "yeah well Dingleberry is a moron and doesn't know squat about offense or quarterbacking, so I don't know where he got that whole lack of work ethic thing about Davis other than he pulled it straight out of his ass in typical Dingleberry fashion." So he has to say something more politically correct like the above. In essence he is saying that Davis is working hard, but he had to phrase it in a way that doesn't make Singletary look like the dufus that he is.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Maybe Sing is the stubborn one. He choose this guy to start not Johnson. Maybe Johnson knows that they will be both out of a job at years end and will not change to game plan so it will show that Sing is the dictator and this Offense will never reach it's potential. It will also make it easy for him to get another job, when every body will see that Troy Smith sucks and was Mike Sings choice.

maybe Johnson told Sing to tell the world that Troy was starting and the practice squad qb can't even call the plays right 57 zipper hero I mean left uh go go go go go go go go go gore up the middle (you don't know me)

Yea...but he still out performed the other two six and nine year veterns during his pre-season play. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the coach to coach and if a player only get 5% of the practice reps, but shows as much if not more than those who have gotten significanty more reps and been in the league for far longer, then an accute coach would make adjustments to the coaching philosophy to ensure that Davis knew the plays; if knowing the plays is even a real issue.

Smith did not know all of the plays last year, but came in a played. Carr complained about getting limited reps as the cause of his poor play. T.Smith is starting even though he does not know all of the plays. So, knowing the plays really does not appear to be the real issue here.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Maybe Johnson is just saying that not to tip his hat but it seems foolish to me. I dont this. Shouldnt every gameplan be suited to either take advantage of the other teams weakness and/or put our players in positions to do what they do well? If Troy is mobile turn him loose!

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/SPLH1G3KQ6.DTL#ixzz13lZmi9ic

I was on bart this morning while reading this.....I couldnt believe what i was reading.
Johnson... either you must be stupid, or you're not trying to tip your hand

Option 3:

We're traveling to London and starting a third string QB who has only been with the team for 8 weeks, has barely had any practice reps, has thrown 13 passes in the last 2 1/2 seasons, and doesn't even know the entire offense yet.

The sensible solution would be to scale back the offense to a manageable number of plays to try to guarantee he plays well and that at least everyone else always knows what they're doing.

The preposterously boneheaded solution would be to install new plays that nobody on the team has practiced yet ON TOP of the plays that T. Smith doesn't even have a full grasp of yet.

Maybe you start to work in new plays once T. Smith gets comfortable in the offense. Doing that right now however, on a week in which we're trying to deal with the added variables of being in Europe and with a QB who hasn't played and who doesn't know the regular offense yet, is preposterous. Seriously.

Also, fwiw, REALLY not a good idea to bring up Nate Davis in this thread. He's had 2 1/2 years to learn the basic offense (even all the way down to simple line calls) and hasn't done it. I can guarantee this is one of the reasons why not a single other team wanted him and he's on our PS right now.

Lol
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Yea...but he still out performed the other two six and nine year veterns during his pre-season play. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the coach to coach and if a player only get 5% of the practice reps, but shows as much if not more than those who have gotten significanty more reps and been in the league for far longer, then an accute coach would make adjustments to the coaching philosophy to ensure that Davis knew the plays; if knowing the plays is even a real issue.

Smith did not know all of the plays last year, but came in a played. Carr complained about getting limited reps as the cause of his poor play. T.Smith is starting even though he does not know all of the plays. So, knowing the plays really does not appear to be the real issue here.

Seriously? Nate Davis looked horrible agaunst 2nd teamers. Alex Smith had a waaay better preseason against 1st-teamers.

Talk about revisionist history!
Share 49ersWebzone