LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Stubborn. Johnson wont change gameplan to suit Troy Smith's legs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Maybe Johnson is just saying that not to tip his hat but it seems foolish to me. I dont this. Shouldnt every gameplan be suited to either take advantage of the other teams weakness and/or put our players in positions to do what they do well? If Troy is mobile turn him loose!

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/SPLH1G3KQ6.DTL#ixzz13lZmi9ic
Originally posted by hubbyt:
Maybe Johnson is just saying that not to tip his hat but it seems foolish to me. I dont this. Shouldnt every gameplan be suited to either take advantage of the other teams weakness and/or put our players in positions to do what they do well? If Troy is mobile turn him loose!

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/29/SPLH1G3KQ6.DTL#ixzz13lZmi9ic

this is the 49ers we're talking about.
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Oct 29, 2010 at 9:45 AM ]
From the sounds of what he said - and the way he said it - he didn't like that decision either - but he was forced to make it. I'm sure Sing told him it's going to be "smashmouth time"... "We're going to ram it down their throats with Gore - and they're gonna know it daggummit!"

Unfortunately the only mouth that may be smashed could be ours...

Pity.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Yes, wildcat and QB runs on every single play!
I wonder if they have been working on Troy Smith's roll right & throw the ball away technique?
I think to Singletary, "scaled back" means giving Gore 99% of the touches as opposed to the customary 95%...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mickey49:
I think to Singletary, "scaled back" means giving Gore 99% of the touches as opposed to the customary 95%...

Quote:
Johnson is studying game film from Smith’s days with the Ravens. (Besides his two starts, Smith played 12 times off the bench for Baltimore.) Johnson will also study his new quarterback in practice this week and talk to Smith about what plays he feels comfortable running.

A strong running game would help take the pressure off, but insisted the 49ers that they wouldn’t be afraid to ride Smith’s arm.

“We’re not going to hide him,’’ Johnson said.
Dude are serious?!?!?! What the hell is Johnson supposed to do?!?!?!

Singletary is making a call on playing a QB that nobody really knows anything about, especially Mike Johnson... This further underlines the ineptitude of Mike Singletary!!!!!

Troy Smith doesn't offer anything better (except maybe a tad in mobility) then what Nate Davis does.. At least with Davis he knows some of the playbook and we have seen the kid is a gamer, and Johnson likes and is very familiar with him...

With Sing shoving Troy down Johnson's throat, his hands are tied.. He's in between a rock and a hard place, a catch 22, it's ridiculous...

I mean seriously you cut Davis who has loads of raw talent because he didn't put in as much work as you thought he should have, after his first year in the league? And then you bring in Troy Smith who offers nothing more in return?

Pathetic...........

Remember when Chris Weinke had to QB a few years ago... Yeah.. It's gonna be that ugly, or close to it.....
"Hello. Denver Broncos? My name is Mike Johnson. 49ers OC. Hey, in case you guys haven't heard, our starting QB is out, and we decided Carr couldn't cut it. We're starting a guy with good legs instead, and I thought I'd give you a quick heads up that I put in a bunch of new plays that take advantage of his speed and athleticism. Wouldn't want you guys to look confused in a game being played on an international stage".

• dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hubbyt:

I was on bart this morning while reading this.....I couldnt believe what i was reading.
Johnson... either you must be stupid, or you're not trying to tip your hand
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I wonder if they have been working on Troy Smith's roll right & throw the ball away technique?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
Dude are serious?!?!?! What the hell is Johnson supposed to do?!?!?!

Singletary is making a call on playing a QB that nobody really knows anything about, especially Mike Johnson... This further underlines the ineptitude of Mike Singletary!!!!!

Troy Smith doesn't offer anything better (except maybe a tad in mobility) then what Nate Davis does.. At least with Davis he knows some of the playbook and we have seen the kid is a gamer, and Johnson likes and is very familiar with him...

With Sing shoving Troy down Johnson's throat, his hands are tied.. He's in between a rock and a hard place, a catch 22, it's ridiculous...

I mean seriously you cut Davis who has loads of raw talent because he didn't put in as much work as you thought he should have, after his first year in the league? And then you bring in Troy Smith who offers nothing more in return?

Pathetic...........

Remember when Chris Weinke had to QB a few years ago... Yeah.. It's gonna be that ugly, or close to it.....

I believe but I could be wrong but Troy also knows some of the playbook. And Davis wasn't cut per se, he was demoted and that's all on him. You earn your chances and part of earning that is putting in work.
Really you don't need to design plays for him to run. Breaking tackles and making throws in a disruptive pocket is what's it's about if you are considered a good running qb. He can make those plays on his own.
Share 49ersWebzone