LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

We should have SEEN this coming

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Every win we have had for years has been a defensive win.

The only game the offense has won for us, was last year against the Jaguars. It is this fundamental ignorance by Mike Singletary which is causing this disaster to unfold.

Where Walsh demanded performance, Singletary demands work ethic.
Where Walsh expected points, Singletary expects no mistakes.
Where Walsh attacked through the whole game, Singletary protects the lead.
Where Walsh believed in quarterbacking, Singletary believes in equality.
Where Walsh believed in match-ups, Singletary believes in toughness.
Where Walsh had equanimity, Singletary is an emotional roller-coaster.
Where Walsh could motivate, Singletary can scare.
Where Walsh made you laugh, Singletary stares you down.
Where Walsh had insight, Singletary has will-power.
Where Walsh had Super Bowls, Singletary has souvenirs from London.

BRAVO! Well said ...
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by susweel:
I cant believe how many of us drank the koolaid this off season about us winning the division, and some "experts" were even saying we would win a playoff game. Many of us ignored the warning signs in the off season that disaster was on the horizon. Sing sold us a load of crap with his catch phrases, and young Jed was standing right beside him echoing the same crap.

These were the warning signs.

#1 Dumping Shaun Hill for Carr. I know that Hill was not the answer but he was much better back up option compared to Carr. Many would argue he is better then 11 but thats an entirely different argument and Im not going there anymore. This also angered many of the veteran players.

#2 GM quits or gets fired a month before the draft. I was never a big McClueless fan but its never a good thing when your GM is let in middle of off season. We still dont really know what happened on that one. All the rats in niner land these days but we still dont really know.

#3 Starting not one but two rookies on the OL. One rookie is hard enough to get ready on the OL, two is pretty much on heard of. No way should two rookies be starting on a contending team.

# Balmer and Coffee just quit the team. Also not much of a big deal because both were garbage but its pretty much unheard of to have two young players just quit like that.

What is now even more stunning is the irony of it all with Singletary. Here is a man who is attempting to play 80's football with a team that actually ruled the 80s by playing football of today.

Penny has dropped

Very ironic ain't it? Go figure. do you think coach sing realizes this now?
It's easy to look back and say that...and I suppose there were some signs, but after coming within two plays of going 10-6 last season, it was "normal" to think we could take the next step. This past draft was one of the best in this era...or at least it's highly likely it'll be proven to be so. I agree Hill is a much better b/u than Carr...but I think Singletary wanted to end the Alex or Shaun competition once and for all. We'll see what we have in Troy Smith...from what I've seen when he was on the Ravens, the guy can play. It could well end up that he'll be Alex's b/u, with Nate moving to the #3 position. While the offensive struggles have mostly dominated, the defense has also taken a step backwards. I like the additions of Bowman, Mays and Adams, but there were no improvements to the DL. Our front 7 continues to struggle to put on any consistent kind of pass rush. We thought it'd improve w/addition of LaBoy and maturing of Brooks, but it's been pretty spotty. I think the biggest contribution to our current situation is still mostly on Singletary...he continues to get outcoached each Sunday and hasn't shown any signs of progressing as a head coach.
I felt a train wreck coming this season, but never could I imagine a cluster f**k of this size! Well done coach Singletary you have exceeded my expectations!
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Originally posted by Envy:
Originally posted by susweel:
I cant believe how many of us drank the koolaid this off season about us winning the division, and some "experts" were even saying we would win a playoff game. Many of us ignored the warning signs in the off season that disaster was on the horizon. Sing sold us a load of crap with his catch phrases, and young Jed was standing right beside him echoing the same crap.

These were the warning signs.

#1 Dumping Shaun Hill for Carr. I know that Hill was not the answer but he was much better back up option compared to Carr. Many would argue he is better then 11 but thats an entirely different argument and Im not going there anymore. This also angered many of the veteran players.

#2 GM quits or gets fired a month before the draft. I was never a big McClueless fan but its never a good thing when your GM is let in middle of off season. We still dont really know what happened on that one. All the rats in niner land these days but we still dont really know.

#3 Starting not one but two rookies on the OL. One rookie is hard enough to get ready on the OL, two is pretty much on heard of. No way should two rookies be starting on a contending team.

# Balmer and Coffee just quit the team. Also not much of a big deal because both were garbage but its pretty much unheard of to have two young players just quit like that.

What is now even more stunning is the irony of it all with Singletary. Here is a man who is attempting to play 80's football with a team that actually ruled the 80s by playing football of today.

Penny has dropped

Very ironic ain't it? Go figure. do you think coach sing realizes this now?

Nope
not gonna lie i drank teh kool-aid

teh kool-aid done gone bad though
I don't think most of use drank the cool-aide.

Everyone made this statement:

This team has the talent and can make the playoffs IF Alex Smith improves or does what he did last year.

Unfortunately, his play got worse along with the offense giving up 5 possessions a game. That directly affected the defense giving up points and then never recovering except for spot moments.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Again. How can I and other posters like me be unafraid to be optimistic before 2003 and unwilling to be blind since 2003?

Can you back up your statement with anything intelligent? Or just more name calling?

So your grand translation is that you were optimistic when we were playoff contenders back in the day... but have since given up each year because the prior year was unsuccessful. Because if things didn't go well the year before... well gee, no chance they could turn things around the following year. Hmmm... brilliant, gotcha.

( and if you seriously don't see the outrageous arrogance in your post that I 1st commented on, then you have bigger problems in life than your belief or lack thereof in the 49ers )

and you have lots of problems making assumptions that probably affect your life too buddy.

Once again you are assuming.

Where did I say I based my predictions on the previous year? I never said what I based my predictions on....I only said that after the fact, it turns out I was right. Or more accurately, generally right after most seasons.

Your choice of words were vague and left a door open to that interpretation. I'm betting you're a gambler then, and simply make your yearly conclusions not even on rosters... but other particular opinions that flow out of Vegas or something. Anyway, who cares? I'm bored with you, so go ahead and carry on about how you guessed right because you're so well blessed with football knowledge.

And you can carry on thinking that every time a Niner fan speculates a dismal season it must be because they are incapable of thinking positively and it can't possibly be because they actually have some handicapping skills and a good track record with past speculations

Don't waste your time responding to "haters" da.
You were perseptive enough to see the situation for what it was. Some are going to hate you for it.
Share 49ersWebzone