We should have SEEN this coming

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by Roxy:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Michael Lewis quit on us as well. Shaun Hill called us a mess. M. Rob said somthing similar....

Links? I don't remember hearing about either Hill or Mrob saying anything like that

Don't have the links but I read that as well. Hill definitely said it and there was an anonymous quote that we kinda assumed was M. Rob. Something about SF being the most unorganized team he's ever been on, high school included.

It is true I remember hearing the same thing. Hill said he was glad to be out of SF because it was such a mess. He liked being in Detroit because the roles were defined where in SF everything was kaotic. MRob pretty much bashed the management as well. Let's face it, the problem isn't he players it is the piss poor management. I bet if a real HC came to SF we would have a winning record and probably be at the top of the division.

people say thats what ex players just do sometimes, but honestly....Kevan Barlow was the first person I can recall that dissed the Niners when he left. So yeah, back in the day, even our ex players really did not have much bad to say about the organization

romanowski hated on the niners when he left. but other than him (and maybe haley) i can't remember too many.

sorry I should have been more specific. I think there will always be gripes about being mistreated or definitely being misused or under appreciated...I don't pay too much attention to comments like that because that is just human nature.

I think the red flags are the comments about things like organization, ill defined roles...stuff like that. Comments like that I was not use to until the first round of Nolan cuts....and they seem to have continued since then.
i did in fact drink the kool-aid once again. year after year after year.

bottom line is, we haven't had a competent HC/QB tandem since mooch and garcia.
I figured we would stink right after Mike Greenberg picked up to go 12-4.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Really ???want a cookie cuz you think your smarter than everyone else?

You predicted that the niners were going to be good between 85-95? I predicted that Obama was going to be president Nov 4th

Everyone in the league thought we would be contenders. EVERY
ONE. No one else saw this coming this bad.

So having 2 superbowls under thier belts prior to the 85 season had nothing to do with your abilities. So gloat all you want because our team is bad. All it does is show you how small minded you really are.

Exactly... danimal's post was some of the most laughably pompous, obnoxious drivel I have read in quite some time. Talk about someone desperate to puff out his e-chest and feel superior on a MB... all for the glory of being flat negative about her team. Oh my, what has this world come to?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Random thoughts...

- I do think there is a small group on here that will always be downers and afraid to put forth any optimism each year. Is there really a sense of pride that comes from supposed fans saying "I told ya so" when things turn south and it was correctly predicted?

- As it turns out, Balmer was overcrowded by better DEs, so we had no use for him. Coffee found Jesus and turned away from the sport... not just the team. These two individuals departing are a poor example of an indicator to our doom.

- We won 8 games last year, despite a QB change, lousy OL coach, and many other unfavorable circumstances. We added chemistry and consistency to some degree, and our divisional rivals clearly had losses in personnel that weakened them. I had no reason to believe we would do worse than 2-3 more wins over last season's eight.

These close losses to the Saints, Falcons, Eagles, and Panthers could not have been foreseen in the way they came to be. One lucky break for us in any of those games could have had us at 5-2 right now.Just didn't go our way.

Also some of us understand the NFL better than others.

Fans rely on hope or optimism or pessimism in the absence of knowledge.

I like 3 sports, Football, Baseball and Basketball. my knowledge level is in that order as well. So in the NBA, I find myself just hoping or being optimistic about my team because I don't understand the sport or the league to a great degree. And sometimes when I am pissy I find myself being pessimistic about my teams chances....but once again, it is mostly baseless.

In the MLB I am a bit more knowledgeable so my moods or personality can't influence my expectations as much as in the NBA.

In the NFL....forget about it....I only speak from my brain. I understand this league very well. I have far too many seasons under my belt where the season played out pretty much as I expected for the Niners to be modest about my skills.

I think a lot of zoners called other zoners debbie downers because that is easier to admit than "Hey maybe I just don't understand this sport as well as you do". And I find that odd, because I have no problem deferring to others in the NBA forums. Because again, I am mostly optimistic about my NBA and MLB teams; yet I am man enough to admit that I am being optimistic for the sake of being optimistic.

Some of us are too knowledgeable to be either optimistic or pessimistic....we are simply realistic. Is it coincidence that between 85-95 I would analyze the 49ers and predict them as contenders, through 95-02 I would predict them as contenders for the division, and 03-present I usually predict them as a cellar team.

How can a fan be a debbie downer when they were not pessimistic before 2003??? Sounds like a reasonable person to me, not a debbie downer

You predicted that the niners were going to be good between 85-95? I predicted that Obama was going to be president Nov 4th

So having 2 superbowls under thier belts prior to the 85 season had nothing to do with your abilities. So gloat all you want because our team is bad. All it does is show you how small minded you really are.

Wow talk about being small minded.

How can I be gloating when in the same post I also talk about how I don't know that much about basketball?

And since you obviously miss my point about my 85-95 predictions...I was not inferring that was a hard conclusion to arrive at, I only pointed out that it would seem a person can not be Generally pessimistic(Debbie Downer) when they were not pessimistic before.

So can you answer the question....How can I be a Debbie Downer when I generally had high expectations before 2003?

That was the purpose of my post. Not to gloat, but to point out how folly it is to assume fans are a debbie downers when we just happen to be in a long ass playoff drought.

Exactly... danimal's post was some of the most laughably pompous, obnoxious drivel I have read in quite some time. Talk about someone desperate to puff out his e-chest and feel superior on a MB... all for the glory of being flat negative about her team. Oh my, what has this world come to?

right, because this is not pompous at all

Quote:
I do think there is a small group on here that will always be downers and afraid to put forth any optimism each year. Is there really a sense of pride that comes from supposed fans saying "I told ya so" when things turn south and it was correctly predicted?

Again. How can I and other posters like me be unafraid to be optimistic before 2003 and unwilling to be blind since 2003?

Can you back up your statement with anything intelligent? Or just more name calling?

Again. How can I and other posters like me be unafraid to be optimistic before 2003 and unwilling to be blind since 2003?

Can you back up your statement with anything intelligent? Or just more name calling?

So your grand translation is that you were optimistic when we were playoff contenders back in the day... but have since given up each year because the prior year was unsuccessful. Because if things didn't go well the year before... well gee, no chance they could turn things around the following year. Hmmm... brilliant, gotcha.

( and if you seriously don't see the outrageous arrogance in your post that I 1st commented on, then you have bigger problems in life than your belief or lack thereof in the 49ers )

So your grand translation is that you were optimistic when we were playoff contenders back in the day... but have since given up each year because the prior year was unsuccessful. Because if things didn't go well the year before... well gee, no chance they could turn things around the following year. Hmmm... brilliant, gotcha.

( and if you seriously don't see the outrageous arrogance in your post that I 1st commented on, then you have bigger problems in life than your belief or lack thereof in the 49ers )

and you have lots of problems making assumptions that probably affect your life too buddy.

Once again you are assuming.

Where did I say I based my predictions on the previous year? I never said what I based my predictions on....I only said that after the fact, it turns out I was right. Or more accurately, generally right after most seasons.
Michael Lewis quit on us as well. Shaun Hill called us a mess. M. Rob said somthing similar....

Links? I don't remember hearing about either Hill or Mrob saying anything like that

Don't have the links but I read that as well. Hill definitely said it and there was an anonymous quote that we kinda assumed was M. Rob. Something about SF being the most unorganized team he's ever been on, high school included.

It is true I remember hearing the same thing. Hill said he was glad to be out of SF because it was such a mess. He liked being in Detroit because the roles were defined where in SF everything was kaotic. MRob pretty much bashed the management as well. Let's face it, the problem isn't he players it is the piss poor management. I bet if a real HC came to SF we would have a winning record and probably be at the top of the division.

people say thats what ex players just do sometimes, but honestly....Kevan Barlow was the first person I can recall that dissed the Niners when he left. So yeah, back in the day, even our ex players really did not have much bad to say about the organization

romanowski hated on the niners when he left. but other than him (and maybe haley) i can't remember too many.

sorry I should have been more specific. I think there will always be gripes about being mistreated or definitely being misused or under appreciated...I don't pay too much attention to comments like that because that is just human nature.

I think the red flags are the comments about things like organization, ill defined roles...stuff like that. Comments like that I was not use to until the first round of Nolan cuts....and they seem to have continued since then.

oh. okay. i see what you're saying. true, only after nolan cuts did the "s**t talking" start.

do you remember the game where romanowski was caught on the eagles sideline flipping off the niners after they won? what a b***h.

oh. okay. i see what you're saying. true, only after nolan cuts did the "s**t talking" start.

do you remember the game where romanowski was caught on the eagles sideline flipping off the niners after they won? what a b***h.

Romanowski is one of the guys I truly hate. People assume I hate Alex Smith, if I met him I probably would want to buy him a beer. Romanowski I would want to run over, back up, and run over again.

and you have lots of problems making assumptions that probably affect your life too buddy.

Where did I say I based my predictions on the previous year? I never said what I based my predictions on....I only said that after the fact, it turns out I was right. Or more accurately, generally right after most seasons.

Your choice of words were vague and left a door open to that interpretation. I'm betting you're a gambler then, and simply make your yearly conclusions not even on rosters... but other particular opinions that flow out of Vegas or something. Anyway, who cares? I'm bored with you, so go ahead and carry on about how you guessed right because you're so well blessed with football knowledge.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM ]
  • ZRF80
I voted 0-16 in the PYMWYMI thread. Of course, I got a lot of hate, was labeled a "troll", etc.

Always said that as long as Alex Smith remained on this team, we would never dig ourselves out of the hole.........

Your choice of words were vague and left a door open to that interpretation. I'm betting you're a gambler then, and simply make your yearly conclusions not even on rosters... but other particular opinions that flow out of Vegas or something. Anyway, who cares? I'm bored with you, so go ahead and carry on about how you guessed right because you're so well blessed with football knowledge.

And you can carry on thinking that every time a Niner fan speculates a dismal season it must be because they are incapable of thinking positively and it can't possibly be because they actually have some handicapping skills and a good track record with past speculations
I called it over on Draft Day, but later calmed my nerves by drinking a sip or two of Kool-aid!

Didn't like the Singletary hire
Didn't like the Carr Signing
Didn't like the draft

Yet some how found myself planning a play-off parties, Why?

BECAUSE I"M A FAN!

Fan is short for fanatic!
Number three is the only real concern from the off season.

The GM was an idiot and didn't really do that much other then fix our salary crap but really didn't have an eye for talent minus Gore and Willis!

The two that quit the team don't matter either. They were and are nobodys. Let me know when they do something to improve the teams they play for! We know Coffee will not be playing anywhere. I dont even remember number one bc it sisn't matter either.

How about adding number 4. The star divas failed to stay healthy in the offseason and form chemistry!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone