LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

We should have SEEN this coming

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Roxy:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Michael Lewis quit on us as well. Shaun Hill called us a mess. M. Rob said somthing similar....

Links? I don't remember hearing about either Hill or Mrob saying anything like that

Don't have the links but I read that as well. Hill definitely said it and there was an anonymous quote that we kinda assumed was M. Rob. Something about SF being the most unorganized team he's ever been on, high school included.
  • Roxy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Every win we have had for years has been a defensive win.

The only game the offense has won for us, was last year against the Jaguars. It is this fundamental ignorance by Mike Singletary which is causing this disaster to unfold.

Where Walsh demanded performance, Singletary demands work ethic.
Where Walsh expected points, Singletary expects no mistakes.
Where Walsh attacked through the whole game, Singletary protects the lead.
Where Walsh believed in quarterbacking, Singletary believes in equality.
Where Walsh believed in match-ups, Singletary believes in toughness.
Where Walsh had equanimity, Singletary is an emotional roller-coaster.
Where Walsh could motivate, Singletary can scare.
Where Walsh made you laugh, Singletary stares you down.
Where Walsh had insight, Singletary has will-power.
Where Walsh had Super Bowls, Singletary has souvenirs from London.

Lot of truth here, but, to be fair, there was only one Bill Walsh. People in Sings image HAVE won in the NFL before, but I think they have to be smart enough to make the right choices on coaches, allow their GM's to make the personnel calls, and stay out of areas in which they are not complete experts (with Sing that would mean all X's and O's on both sides of the ball). He needed to get great coordinators and concentrate on motivation, and he's utterly failed.

Even Joe couldn't see this coming.
Random thoughts...

- I do think there is a small group on here that will always be downers and afraid to put forth any optimism each year. Is there really a sense of pride that comes from supposed fans saying "I told ya so" when things turn south and it was correctly predicted?

- As it turns out, Balmer was overcrowded by better DEs, so we had no use for him. Coffee found Jesus and turned away from the sport... not just the team. These two individuals departing are a poor example of an indicator to our doom.

- We won 8 games last year, despite a QB change, lousy OL coach, and many other unfavorable circumstances. We added chemistry and consistency to some degree, and our divisional rivals clearly had losses in personnel that weakened them. I had no reason to believe we would do worse than 2-3 more wins over last season's eight.

These close losses to the Saints, Falcons, Eagles, and Panthers could not have been foreseen in the way they came to be. One lucky break for us in any of those games could have had us at 5-2 right now.Just didn't go our way.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Random thoughts...

- I do think there is a small group on here that will always be downers and afraid to put forth any optimism each year. Is there really a sense of pride that comes from supposed fans saying "I told ya so" when things turn south and it was correctly predicted?

- As it turns out, Balmer was overcrowded by better DEs, so we had no use for him. Coffee found Jesus and turned away from the sport... not just the team. These two individuals departing are a poor example of an indicator to our doom.

- We won 8 games last year, despite a QB change, lousy OL coach, and many other unfavorable circumstances. We added chemistry and consistency to some degree, and our divisional rivals clearly had losses in personnel that weakened them. I had no reason to believe we would do worse than 2-3 more wins over last season's eight.

These close losses to the Saints, Falcons, Eagles, and Panthers could not have been foreseen in the way they came to be. One lucky break for us in any of those games could have had us at 5-2 right now.Just didn't go our way.

Great read
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Random thoughts...

Great read

Awesome, man! Good post. Postive.
"We should have SAWED this coming"

Random thoughts...

Also some of us understand the NFL better than others.

Fans rely on hope or optimism or pessimism in the absence of knowledge.

I like 3 sports, Football, Baseball and Basketball. my knowledge level is in that order as well. So in the NBA, I find myself just hoping or being optimistic about my team because I don't understand the sport or the league to a great degree. And sometimes when I am pissy I find myself being pessimistic about my teams chances....but once again, it is mostly baseless.

In the MLB I am a bit more knowledgeable so my moods or personality can't influence my expectations as much as in the NBA.

In the NFL....forget about it....I only speak from my brain. I understand this league very well. I have far too many seasons under my belt where the season played out pretty much as I expected for the Niners to be modest about my skills.

I think a lot of zoners called other zoners debbie downers because that is easier to admit than "Hey maybe I just don't understand this sport as well as you do". And I find that odd, because I have no problem deferring to others in the NBA forums. Because again, I am mostly optimistic about my NBA and MLB teams; yet I am man enough to admit that I am being optimistic for the sake of being optimistic.

Some of us are too knowledgeable to be either optimistic or pessimistic....we are simply realistic. Is it coincidence that between 85-95 I would analyze the 49ers and predict them as contenders, through 95-02 I would predict them as contenders for the division, and 03-present I usually predict them as a cellar team.

How can a fan be a debbie downer when they were not pessimistic before 2003??? Sounds like a reasonable person to me, not a debbie downer
[ Edited by danimal on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
SEEN

Thank you.

happy ???

Honestly, how people did not see this coming is beyond me.
I was cursing the TV the day he took over for Nolan (Nolan was a disaster, too, but Sing is a freakin mega-disaster) and when he was handed the job I knew we were in for a bad ride.
No coordinator experience, that was our first clue. Good coaches are X's and O's guys and can run the show if need be. Yet we were always told that Sing was "too valuable" as an assistant. What BS from the beginning.
I am no Nostradamus and I think a helluva lot of people simply fooled themselves into thinking Sing would be good and the proof is in the way the man's bandwagon has emptied faster than a speakeasy during a raid. Nolan still had defenders up till the end, Sing not much.

I am not aq fan of firing coaches mid-season, but I really think the man has about worn out his welcome with the players. He might not last the season.

Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Michael Lewis quit on us as well. Shaun Hill called us a mess. M. Rob said somthing similar....

Links? I don't remember hearing about either Hill or Mrob saying anything like that

Don't have the links but I read that as well. Hill definitely said it and there was an anonymous quote that we kinda assumed was M. Rob. Something about SF being the most unorganized team he's ever been on, high school included.

i posted in the NFL forum. enjoy.

It is true I remember hearing the same thing. Hill said he was glad to be out of SF because it was such a mess. He liked being in Detroit because the roles were defined where in SF everything was kaotic. MRob pretty much bashed the management as well. Let's face it, the problem isn't he players it is the piss poor management. I bet if a real HC came to SF we would have a winning record and probably be at the top of the division.
Originally posted by backontop:

It is true I remember hearing the same thing. Hill said he was glad to be out of SF because it was such a mess. He liked being in Detroit because the roles were defined where in SF everything was kaotic. MRob pretty much bashed the management as well. Let's face it, the problem isn't he players it is the piss poor management. I bet if a real HC came to SF we would have a winning record and probably be at the top of the division.

people say thats what ex players just do sometimes, but honestly....Kevan Barlow was the first person I can recall that dissed the Niners when he left. So yeah, back in the day, even our ex players really did not have much bad to say about the organization
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by backontop:

people say thats what ex players just do sometimes, but honestly....Kevan Barlow was the first person I can recall that dissed the Niners when he left. So yeah, back in the day, even our ex players really did not have much bad to say about the organization

romanowski hated on the niners when he left. but other than him (and maybe haley) i can't remember too many.
Originally posted by danimal:
Random thoughts...

Also some of us understand the NFL better than others.

Fans rely on hope or optimism or pessimism in the absence of knowledge.

I like 3 sports, Football, Baseball and Basketball. my knowledge level is in that order as well. So in the NBA, I find myself just hoping or being optimistic about my team because I don't understand the sport or the league to a great degree. And sometimes when I am pissy I find myself being pessimistic about my teams chances....but once again, it is mostly baseless.

In the MLB I am a bit more knowledgeable so my moods or personality can't influence my expectations as much as in the NBA.

In the NFL....forget about it....I only speak from my brain. I understand this league very well. I have far too many seasons under my belt where the season played out pretty much as I expected for the Niners to be modest about my skills.

I think a lot of zoners called other zoners debbie downers because that is easier to admit than "Hey maybe I just don't understand this sport as well as you do". And I find that odd, because I have no problem deferring to others in the NBA forums. Because again, I am mostly optimistic about my NBA and MLB teams; yet I am man enough to admit that I am being optimistic for the sake of being optimistic.

Some of us are too knowledgeable to be either optimistic or pessimistic....we are simply realistic. Is it coincidence that between 85-95 I would analyze the 49ers and predict them as contenders, through 95-02 I would predict them as contenders for the division, and 03-present I usually predict them as a cellar team.

How can a fan be a debbie downer when they were not pessimistic before 2003??? Sounds like a reasonable person to me, not a debbie downer

Really ???want a cookie cuz you think your smarter than everyone else?

You predicted that the niners were going to be good between 85-95? I predicted that Obama was going to be president Nov 4th

Everyone in the league thought we would be contenders. EVERY
ONE. No one else saw this coming this bad.

So having 2 superbowls under thier belts prior to the 85 season had nothing to do with your abilities. So gloat all you want because our team is bad. All it does is show you how small minded you really are.
Share 49ersWebzone