LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

We should have SEEN this coming

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Going 8-8 last season was enough for me to look past all the warning signs.

Never again will I drink Fools-Gold flavored Kool Aid.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by fly15:
maybe next year we'll draft 2 qb's in the 1st round

lol, prbably should. Its usually 50-50 with first round QBs anyway.

Let's use every pick on a QB. It's the most important position. One has to pan out, right?

Are there any 300 lbs. QBs coming out? They could play on the o-line until they're ready to start. It'll build chemistry.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
#4 You missed Michael Lewis quitting.

When we were embarrassed by Seattle in the opener I has was pretty worried about the rest of the season. They had the whole off season and come out looking completely unprepared.

I am probably most surprised at how poorly our D has been at closing close games.

The sad part is that this team may implode even further than it has already.

#5 Cutting Pro Bowler Michael Robinson

I knew that move wasn't going to be good at all. Especially when they cut a player right before the season who shouldn't have been cut in the first place, and signs with Seattle (who we played in week 1)

Hmmmmm......you think they knew a little bit about our offense. Singletary not knowing how to coach (changing up the game plan at halftime to account for the opponent)
Nobody thought we were gunna suck this year. SO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE SAYING THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD SHUT YOUR MOUTHS.
Some experts? Every ESPN staff picked us to win the division. Those that didn't believe we would win it were about one out of ten. But that is what the NFL is about, surprises, good and bad.
Going 4-0 in preseason always bothers me.
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Nobody thought we were gunna suck this year. SO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT ARE SAYING THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD SHUT YOUR MOUTHS.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141039&highlight=pymwymi

Don't speak for everyone. There was a minority of us that saw this team for what it is. Poorly coached and lacking at key spots.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I always figured you a guy who glamorizes hindsight. I'd like to see the guy who called this out before the season, otherwise it's just calling out the obvious.

I never said I called this, I never said it be would this disastrous of a season. All I said was I never thought we were as good many of us thought we were.

The only one really indicative of a bad season was the two rookie o-lineman in my opinion.

I'll gladly take Dixon over Coffee and who didn't think Balmer was a bum, also Scotty Mac's turmoil was of his own doing. Baalke seems as if he has a decent handle considering his span of time with the team.

Shaun Hill wasn't going to dictate the overall success of this team and I'm personally glad hes gone; this team didn't respect him and we would have just helped us eek out five or six wins overall and would be just as far from finding a franchise QB.

Jimmy Raye going into this season again was the most telling in my opinion.

You can say all you want about QB's, but Micheal Vick is under the tutelage of Andy Reid and McNabb would have been good for the NFC West title, a one-and-done playoff game, and setting us even farther back from a franchise QB.

[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Oct 25, 2010 at 16:12:44 ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I should have too..i admit. I've seen this team have like 3 or 4 winning seasons so I was just so ready for it to happen that I was getting drunk on all the BS that was shoveled in my mouth.

But, at this point, it will be impossible for me to believe this team will ever be good again. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Ronnie Lott could all come to the team at 28 years old and the ghost of Bill Walsh could be coaching then and I still think we'd f*ck it up somehow.

I've completely lost all faith in this franchise.
all the ex-losers-49ers (players/gm/coaches) spilled/still spilling info on us to every team we faced/will face.

it's not like those teams really need help on "how to beat us" though, but mcclueless, raye, nolan, robinson, etc., they all had a hand in it..........

I see it coming every year but this year I tried to be optimistic...
Originally posted by susweel:
I cant believe how many of us drank the koolaid this off season about us winning the division, and some "experts" were even saying we would win a playoff game. Many of us ignored the warning signs in the off season that disaster was on the horizon. Sing sold us a load of crap with his catch phrases, and young Jed was standing right beside him echoing the same crap.

These were the warning signs.

#1 Dumping Shaun Hill for Carr. I know that Hill was not the answer but he was much better back up option compared to Carr. Many would argue he is better then 11 but thats an entirely different argument and Im not going there anymore. This also angered many of the veteran players.

#2 GM quits or gets fired a month before the draft. I was never a big McClueless fan but its never a good thing when your GM is let in middle of off season. We still dont really know what happened on that one. All the rats in niner land these days but we still dont really know.

#3 Starting not one but two rookies on the OL. One rookie is hard enough to get ready on the OL, two is pretty much on heard of. No way should two rookies be starting on a contending team.

# Balmer and Coffee just quit the team. Also not much of a big deal because both were garbage but its pretty much unheard of to have two young players just quit like that.

This move is still up to debate/speculation really (as to whether it was a good/bad move). -Iupati was an obvious lock to start (the season) at LG to begin with, while Davis was most likely going to be worked into the system within possibly mid-season.

So the real debate comes down to how/why we started Anthony Davis nearly just 2 weeks into training camp. Three obvious possibilities:

1. Adam Snyder allowed more sacks (13) in the league in 2009 than any RT in the NFL, and was an injury liability/in-effective as a RT.

2. Barry Sims projected some of the same habits at RT as Adam Snyder (above). Solari and the staff obviously could tell Sims was more of a natural LT (which he proved throughout 2009 beyond Staley's injury at the peak of mid-season).

3. 49ers had the worst o-line in the NFL (during 2009) altogether, so it makes sense to throw 2 (big money) first round picks into the fire from the beginning.

Whether Davis was thrown into the loop or not right away, our RT situation wouldn't have been any prettier cause we refused to chase/trade a productive vet (at a cheap price) at that position to groom Davis into place later on.

In fact I think the real debate should be, why didn't we place Anthony Davis at the 'proper' tackle position of his strengths? Staley played RT well, and has been 50/50 out of the LT spot. Joe's the best o-linemen we have (which still isn't saying a lot), but overall/in-closing, this team is just too dysfunctional overall to develop its talent/personnel properly.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 25, 2010 at 16:29:26 ]
Every win we have had for years has been a defensive win.

The only game the offense has won for us, was last year against the Jaguars. It is this fundamental ignorance by Mike Singletary which is causing this disaster to unfold.

Where Walsh demanded performance, Singletary demands work ethic.
Where Walsh expected points, Singletary expects no mistakes.
Where Walsh attacked through the whole game, Singletary protects the lead.
Where Walsh believed in quarterbacking, Singletary believes in equality.
Where Walsh believed in match-ups, Singletary believes in toughness.
Where Walsh had equanimity, Singletary is an emotional roller-coaster.
Where Walsh could motivate, Singletary can scare.
Where Walsh made you laugh, Singletary stares you down.
Where Walsh had insight, Singletary has will-power.
Where Walsh had Super Bowls, Singletary has souvenirs from London.
Originally posted by JDeesnuts:
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
#4 You missed Michael Lewis quitting.

When we were embarrassed by Seattle in the opener I has was pretty worried about the rest of the season. They had the whole off season and come out looking completely unprepared.

I am probably most surprised at how poorly our D has been at closing close games.

The sad part is that this team may implode even further than it has already.

#5 Cutting Pro Bowler Michael Robinson

I knew that move wasn't going to be good at all. Especially when they cut a player right before the season who shouldn't have been cut in the first place, and signs with Seattle (who we played in week 1)

Hmmmmm......you think they knew a little bit about our offense. Singletary not knowing how to coach (changing up the game plan at halftime to account for the opponent)

Warning

#6 When Singletary spelled "Physical" with an F.
Originally posted by Grigga2021:

I point out how much the Niners suck every month of the year.
Share 49ersWebzone