There are 155 users in the forums

At this point winning will only hurt us

Shop Find 49ers gear online
good god, how many more years are we gonna be the fluffers of the NFL??
Originally posted by mayo49:
I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but winning games at this point will only take us further away from drafting Luck or Locker. I know it sucks right now, but getting into the best position to draft the best Qb is the most important thing at this point. Finishing 7-9 and out of the playoffs will do nothing for us. I hope the football gods shines down on us this season and gives us the best case scenerio moving foward.

I agree with you...and knowing us and our luck we will win meaningless games towards the ends that will hurt our draft position.

Face it boys this season is over...it's time to start evaluating players and looking forward to the draft....and I prefer Mallet over Locker and if Luck comes out he would be my first choice.
This is a very strong QB class...one of the strongest in past 10 years. As many as five QB's could be taken in the first two rounds. Three are legitimate first rounder’s (Luck, Locker, and Mallet). In fact, some scouts believe Luck is the best prospect to come out in the last 10 years (Bradford and Ryan were also highly regarded). Interestingly, Smith's class was considered one of the weakest QB class's going into the draft. Aaron Rodgers saved that class from being a complete bust. I would say, passing on Rodgers proved to be the worst Niner decision since they let Haley go to the Cowboys (gave them the pass rusher they lacked).
I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but winning games at this point will only take us further away from drafting Luck or Locker. I know it sucks right now, but getting into the best position to draft the best Qb is the most important thing at this point. Finishing 7-9 and out of the playoffs will do nothing for us. I hope the football gods shines down on us this season and gives us the best case scenerio moving foward.

The statement makes sense if you just look at the Rams this year with their QB draft pick.
Two of the best prospects to come out in several years...Robert Quinn (DE) and Patrick Peterson (CB)...absolute studs. These two will separate themselves during the combine. Likely the Niners will be in position to nab one of them.

We will take a QB, CB, DE/LB, or DT. Amazingly, we look pretty weak at DT, that is the only reason I throw DT into the mix.
Wow, draft time came early this year, eh.
Originally posted by Daniners:
First, you are correct. At this point, winning does hurt us. Also, I am amazed at the lack of football IQ reflected in some of these posts...

Rule #1: If you do not have a franchise QB, you get one. You very, very rarely get a franchise QB in FA . You need to draft one. Smith is not even a starting caliber QB at this point (after six horrendous years).

Next, we will have a new coaching staff next year, and ALL remnants of the Singletary/Nolan regimes will be expunged (i.e. Alex Smith).

Never hurts a young team to learn how to win. Tanking? That's for losers. Perpetual losers.
This is a very strong QB class...one of the strongest in past 10 years. As many as five QB's could be taken in the first two rounds. Three are legitimate first rounder’s (Luck, Locker, and Mallet). In fact, some scouts believe Luck is the best prospect to come out in the last 10 years (Bradford and Ryan were also highly regarded). Interestingly, Smith's class was considered one of the weakest QB class's going into the draft. Aaron Rodgers saved that class from being a complete bust. I would say, passing on Rodgers proved to be the worst Niner decision since they let Haley go to the Cowboys (gave them the pass rusher they lacked).

This one hurt so much sense it was a toss up between rodgers and smith as far as projections... yet they don't give the local CAL kid the benefit of the doubt.
Originally posted by ozanter:

This one hurt so much sense it was a toss up between rodgers and smith as far as projections... yet they don't give the local CAL kid the benefit of the doubt.

It wasn't a question of the benefit of the doubt. The word was that Rogers was coached pretty near to his limit whereas with Smith the ceiling was a lot higher.

It's a lottery.
Originally posted by dankmeistr:

I'm not sure drafting another QB with the #1 pick is the answer. Certainly hiring a coach who knows the game of football instead of just throwing out motivational platitudes will be a good start. The offensive line continues to be a problem, and we also need a ferocious pass rusher, a 2-gap NT, and a cover corner to solidify our defense.

I'm okay with re-signing Alex Smith, but I'd bring in a legitimate free agent QB to compete with Smith. I know Smith has been a bit of Jekyll & Hyde this year, but he has proven that he can be a pretty decent QB. So, having him as a back-up wouldn't be that bad. I'd use the draft picks in the first 3 rounds to fix some of the other holes on the team, then go after a QB to groom for the future.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

I Disagree. If we have Smith back we WILL have the same issues, TURNOVERS! I don't care if you brought Walsh back here, If your QB leads the league in INT's you WILL lose. No if and's or but's about it!. A coach is only as good as his players. Look around the league, teams that turn the ball over lose. I'm not saying Singletary is the guy but I am saying Smith isn't for sure! I would take the first pick and draft Jake Lockyer or trade for Kevin Kolb and try to add a legitimate pass rusher in FA.

[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Oct 25, 2010 at 07:56:09 ]

Had we drafted Rogers instead it would be he that we all want gone and regretting not drafting Smith who would be the stud in Green Bay after sitting for 3 years and learning from Favre.

Why should they?
Originally posted by tondiman:

I don't think Locker or Luck will solve our problems. We need a new coaching staff.

Well....if we are in a position to take Luck or Locker, a new coaching staff is a given.

Harbaugh and Luck? Hrmmmm.....interesting.
Throw in T.Smith and Nate.

Show us that our OLINE is the problem.

If it isn't well, sh*t ,man.
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about winning too many games.
Share 49ersWebzone