There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

At this point winning will only hurt us

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but winning games at this point will only take us further away from drafting Luck or Locker. I know it sucks right now, but getting into the best position to draft the best Qb is the most important thing at this point. Finishing 7-9 and out of the playoffs will do nothing for us. I hope the football gods shines down on us this season and gives us the best case scenerio moving foward.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but winning games at this point will only take us further away from drafting Luck or Locker. I know it sucks right now, but getting into the best position to draft the best Qb is the most important thing at this point. Finishing 7-9 and out of the playoffs will do nothing for us. I hope the football gods shines down on us this season and gives us the best case scenerio moving foward.

I don't think Locker or Luck will solve our problems. We need a new coaching staff.

I'm not sure drafting another QB with the #1 pick is the answer. Certainly hiring a coach who knows the game of football instead of just throwing out motivational platitudes will be a good start. The offensive line continues to be a problem, and we also need a ferocious pass rusher, a 2-gap NT, and a cover corner to solidify our defense.

I'm okay with re-signing Alex Smith, but I'd bring in a legitimate free agent QB to compete with Smith. I know Smith has been a bit of Jekyll & Hyde this year, but he has proven that he can be a pretty decent QB. So, having him as a back-up wouldn't be that bad. I'd use the draft picks in the first 3 rounds to fix some of the other holes on the team, then go after a QB to groom for the future.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
It sucks but I might have to agree....
Untill we have a good coach, having a good QB will be useless
Don't you listen to sing and Jed?

We got the NFC West right where we want them.
Originally posted by tondiman:
Untill we have a good coach, having a good QB will be useless

Uh, you really think Singletary is gonna be back?
The rest of the season such used to play every player on the roster. Seriously, I think everyone should be a chance to play. Why not find out what they can do. Nate Davis, Troy Smith, and other players not getting alittle to no time.
We will get screwed in the draft bc there will be a lockout and it will be a weak draft class
buffalo better get some wins
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
We will get screwed in the draft bc there will be a lockout and it will be a weak draft class

Good point, I quess we have to hope for a steal or two in the draft.
C'MON BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by dankmeistr:

I'm not sure drafting another QB with the #1 pick is the answer. Certainly hiring a coach who knows the game of football instead of just throwing out motivational platitudes will be a good start. The offensive line continues to be a problem, and we also need a ferocious pass rusher, a 2-gap NT, and a cover corner to solidify our defense.

I'm okay with re-signing Alex Smith, but I'd bring in a legitimate free agent QB to compete with Smith. I know Smith has been a bit of Jekyll & Hyde this year, but he has proven that he can be a pretty decent QB. So, having him as a back-up wouldn't be that bad. I'd use the draft picks in the first 3 rounds to fix some of the other holes on the team, then go after a QB to groom for the future.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC

I agree with this post, most of our problems will be solved with a new HC.
First, you are correct. At this point, winning does hurt us. Also, I am amazed at the lack of football IQ reflected in some of these posts...

Rule #1: If you do not have a franchise QB, you get one. You very, very rarely get a franchise QB in FA . You need to draft one. Smith is not even a starting caliber QB at this point (after six horrendous years).

Next, we will have a new coaching staff next year, and ALL remnants of the Singletary/Nolan regimes will be expunged (i.e. Alex Smith).

TANK TANK TANK!!!!!!!