who should we start next week?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

who should we start next week?

Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by danimal:
to me this is real simple. I don't know why anybody makes it harder than it needs to be.

Which of these guys have never played in a NFL regular season game?

David Carr
Troy Smith
Nate Davis

???

I know this forum is filled with a bunch of know it alls, and I am as bad as it gets.....but cmon....you got to at least be curious right?

I haven't played in an NFL regular season game either. Maybe I should start?

Did you play QB in Pee Wee?, Pop Warner? HS? College? Drafted by an NFL team?

Do I really need to point these further qualifications out???????

Fans must be really sure of their scouting skills to not at least be curious.

I would love for someone to give me an intelligent response to why you would not be curious to see Nate play in a real game.

But I guess "I haven't played in an NFL regular season game either. Maybe I should start?" is the best I am going to get

Ok, I'll give you 32 of them. No NFL team picked him up and he passed wavers to land on our PS... Now I'm more confident in the scouting department of 32 teams than I am with a handful of fans...

BTW I was an All Star QB in my peewee league...

I tell you what. I suspect that timing had more to do with him not being picked up than talent. He was released during the first week of the season when rosters were set. AQlex may have very well not been picked up under that scenario. Plus, you don't know if he recieved offers to join other team's practice squads and decided to stay with the 49ers.

But the question does not involve other teams. It involves this team which had a starting QB who despite getting all of the reps was 1-5 and a back-up who despite being in the league for nine years did the opposite of what a back-up should do-turn the ballover and lose the game.

He can be picked up off our PS any time...
As long as Alex can take the snap with his injured shoulder he should start.
to me this is real simple. I don't know why anybody makes it harder than it needs to be.

David Carr
Troy Smith
Nate Davis

???

I know this forum is filled with a bunch of know it alls, and I am as bad as it gets.....but cmon....you got to at least be curious right?

I would love for someone to give me an intelligent response to why you would not be curious to see Nate play in a real game.

But I guess "I haven't played in an NFL regular season game either. Maybe I should start?" is the best I am going to get

Ok, I'll give you 32 of them. No NFL team picked him up and he passed wavers to land on our PS... Now I'm more confident in the scouting department of 32 teams than I am with a handful of fans...

You still are not getting the point.

You are merely pointing out reasons why in all probability he won't fare well. Have I ever disagreed with this notion??????

So now let me ask again. I am looking for intelligent reasons not to entertain curiosity???

Hint Hint, this involves questions of risk and alternatives.

What would the 49ers risk by playing him?

Looking bad on the field???????????

starting to get the point??

I gave you 32 of them. I can't help it if you cannot or will not connect the dots...

Let me help you see what the other 31 teams saw...

The more game time Nate received in the pre season, the worse he looked. This is a trend from both last year and the year before. Since these games are ones that OC's do not game plan for, Nate will look much worse when someone has set into motion a plan to stop him. Furthermore, one has to question his ability to play every Sunday or even a full Sunday based off of his pre season performances.

An article from the pre season said that Nate had a problem telling players left or right. If a QB cannot call out or is unable to articulate which way the play is designed or called to go, our chances for success are much worse.

Nate only has a grasp on a handful of plays in our playbook after 2 years. We saw what happens if we run the same 3 plays over and over with Raye.

As much as some on here want to throw in the towel, the season is not over yet. If the Yorks throw in the towel, they lose $$$$. If Sing throws in the towel, he's guaranteed to lose his job. Kicking the tires on a PS player at the most important position on the O is throwing in the towel...

So when is it not throwing in the towel? After mathematical elimination? After that would you then be curious enough?

Oh and for the record since you seem to be misinterpreting my posts a lot.

I THINK NATE DAVIS WILL NOT TURN OUT TO BE A GOOD NFL QB.

No need to help me connect the dots. I asked for an intelligent reason why I should not be at least curious enough to see if Nate can prove me, you, Sing and the other 31 teams wrong.

And so far the best answer you can give me is that would be throwing in the towel. Given our current situation I am not sure how intelligent that answer is, but nonetheless it was your best so far; which is why I am now asking you to expand on that.
Why do we even have Carr on the roster? Why did we ever have Dilfer on the roster? Why don't we have any real backup qb?

David Carr
Troy Smith
Nate Davis

???

You are merely pointing out reasons why in all probability he won't fare well. Have I ever disagreed with this notion??????

So now let me ask again. I am looking for intelligent reasons not to entertain curiosity???

I gave you 32 of them. I can't help it if you cannot or will not connect the dots...

The more game time Nate received in the pre season, the worse he looked. This is a trend from both last year and the year before. Since these games are ones that OC's do not game plan for, Nate will look much worse when someone has set into motion a plan to stop him. Furthermore, one has to question his ability to play every Sunday or even a full Sunday based off of his pre season performances.

An article from the pre season said that Nate had a problem telling players left or right. If a QB cannot call out or is unable to articulate which way the play is designed or called to go, our chances for success are much worse.

Nate only has a grasp on a handful of plays in our playbook after 2 years. We saw what happens if we run the same 3 plays over and over with Raye.

As much as some on here want to throw in the towel, the season is not over yet. If the Yorks throw in the towel, they lose $$$$. If Sing throws in the towel, he's guaranteed to lose his job. Kicking the tires on a PS player at the most important position on the O is throwing in the towel...

So when is it not throwing in the towel? After mathematical elimination? After that would you then be curious enough?

No need to help me connect the dots. I asked for an intelligent reason why I should not be at least curious enough to see if Nate can prove me, you, Sing and the other 31 teams wrong.

And so far the best answer you can give me is that would be throwing in the towel. Given our current situation I am not sure how intelligent that answer is, but nonetheless it was your best so far; which is why I am now asking you to expand on that.

The dot's that I was hoping you would connect is that he has to earn it. The practice field is were you earn the opportunity to start or play in a game... If Nate could earn his chance to start then Yes I'd be game to check it out; but until then, Hell No...
On second thought, it doesn't matter -- just so long as whoever it is can hand off to Gore.
yea, f**k it. Just bring in two more linemen, in place of the TE. Gore/Dixon/Westbrook wishbone backfield.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nate Davis makes the most sense. Alex Smith is hurt, Carr is atrocious and Nate Davis can be something very special if given the opportunity to develop while getting some playing time. The only problem is they never let the man run the offense in practice or training camp. He got 2 reps every time they had team activities while Carr and Alex got the other 30-40 reps. How is he supposed to learn and get comfortable with the offense like that? I don't believe a word Singletary has said regarding any of our QBs, especially Davis, so that whole "he can't learn the offense" sh*t means nothing to me.

If not Nate, then it needs to be Troy Smith. I don't know how far along he is in terms of learning our offense, but he can't be any worse than David Carr.

davis is on the practice squad he probably didnt even make the trip
meg whitman

why not? we're already fu***d

David Carr
Troy Smith
Nate Davis

???

The dot's that I was hoping you would connect is that he has to earn it. The practice field is were you earn the opportunity to start or play in a game... If Nate could earn his chance to start then Yes I'd be game to check it out; but until then, Hell No...

I use to share that same philosophy...........

back in the Eddie D era.

Under the Yorks I am having a hard time comprehending what exactly you think is at risk or what exactly the alternatives are at their disposal.

But yeah hey, if the powers that be don't think much of him that should be enough for all of us too right? Clearly the current powers that be know what they are doing too

God forbid we see the 49ers embarrass themselves on Sunday

Share 49ersWebzone