If we still had Shaun Hill, we'd have won this game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I heart SD for going at ZRF and I wonder why ZRF never commented on the fact that Carolina's D has actually been above average this year.

Because the Niners defense is ranked number 10 OVERALL (better than Carolina.

Our passing defense only allows 20 yards MORE per game by opposing QBs than Carolina's passing defense, and are ranked number 11 in the league (top 1/3).

Yet, it didnt seem to stop their QB who was btw benched at the start fo the season. So why should we excuse ours for a half-assed performance ?

You mean the QB who threw for over 300 yards against us today ??

Yeah, so if a benched QB can throw for over 300 yards against the number 11 ranked defense which only allows 20 yards MORE per game passing than Carolina's pass defense, then why cant Alex be held accountable for not doing the same against them ?

Mail me the game tapes so I can get a better look at what happened. Your always so quick to pin blame squarely on Alex. You do realize that while it all starts with the QB it takes 44 others guys to help the QB win right ?
Shaj, at times you reasonable, at others irrational.

This is irrational. This TEAM is horrible. Absolutely horrendous. Smith is PART of the problem, that's all.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
yeah, noodles would be killing right now

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....

i was in the gameday thread when you said that. you said with smith out, our d is playing better. it's not a shocker considering all you do is hate on him.

You mean where I said, "Smith's out ! Our D is playing better !" ? Two independent statements that you interpreted as, "Smith's out, THEREFORE our D is playing better !"

No, it was before that. It's okay, I wouldn't admit to it either.

Link please. Of course, Im sure you're too "tired" to find it right now, but if you do....Id love for you to post it for everyone to see..........

Yeah, let me good find it in the 200 page gameday thread. I know it's hard to believe that you would have said that.

Excuse the side-busting on my part, but, I knew this response was coming.

Yep. Thats what I expected from him as well.........

LOL, how cute the Alex haters are uniting

It's ok. Just have proof the next time you decide to make comments like those.

Yeah, I have the proof posted. Sorry, I had to copy and paste...

It's okay man.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Dumbest move ever by Sing = getting rid of Shaun Hill so Smith doesn't have to look over his shoulder.... that shoulder being the one that is injured now. I knew Smith > Carr, but this is ridiculous. Hill would have gotten us a win today.

Talk about grasping for straws here .

Was it really necessary to use so many smilies? I mean, what's the point? One each gets the point across, any more than that and you're just trying to make people think the post in question is absurd without actually having to make an argument against it. Nice try, but you fail.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:

This is irrational. This TEAM is horrible. Absolutely horrendous. Smith is PART of the problem, that's all.

When did I say otherwise? But the QB touches the ball on every offensive play. Not all positions are equal. I harp on Smith because he is the most overrated player on our team, at the most important position on our team.

BTW, we would be an NFC Championship contender with a real QB and a real HC. That's how close we are.

[ Edited by Shaj on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:45:13 ]

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....

i was in the gameday thread when you said that. you said with smith out, our d is playing better. it's not a shocker considering all you do is hate on him.

You mean where I said, "Smith's out ! Our D is playing better !" ? Two independent statements that you interpreted as, "Smith's out, THEREFORE our D is playing better !"

Link please. Of course, Im sure you're too "tired" to find it right now, but if you do....Id love for you to post it for everyone to see..........

Yeah, let me good find it in the 200 page gameday thread. I know it's hard to believe that you would have said that.

Yeah, because you are smart... Who the hell would look for a single quote from that.

Someone who wants to prove he's not just talking out of his ass?

I'm disappointing in myself for doing this, but whatever. Eat crow.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by defender49:
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!

Alex is out ! D comes alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so alex coming out made the D come alive?

Dumbest sht I've heard in a long time.

Wow. If there was any credibility left, it has certainly vanished now.

Sorry dude, but you just proved ZRF right. That looks like two separate statements that you decided to link together on your own.

Don't be "disappointing" in yourself, man. At least you posted what you thought was proof.

By the way, why would I eat crow either way?

[ Edited by 49erRider on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:47:37 ]

Nice try though.....

Yeah, because you are smart... Who the hell would look for a single quote from that.

Sorry dude, but you just proved ZRF right. That looks like two separate statements that you decided to link together on your own.

Well, that was only part of what he was saying... and, no they look like related statements. You can't tell that?

You were saying earlier, something to the effect of, talking out of my buttocks. This was when you hopped in and started to defend ZF80. Lets put this behind us.
Why isn't anyone talking about Anthony Davis?

I realize he is a rookie, but every game this kid seems to hurt this team with false starts, miss blocks, and stupid penalties (punching the opposing defense). He once again missed several blocks in pass protection, and in essence, injured our starting QB. He also had a holding call on a punt!

At this point you might as well leave him in the game because we now have nothing to lose, but I think we should have at LEAST considered maybe Berry Sims who played very well in Staley absence at the end of last season.

Nice try though.....

Well, that was only part of what he was saying... and, no they look like related statements. You can't tell that?

You were saying earlier, something to the effect of, talking out of my buttocks. This was when you hopped in and started to defend ZF80. Lets put this behind us.

Nah man, I just noticed you were gonna try to bail on providing proof and the length of the thread was going to be the reason. You asked why someone would dig through the thread and I just suggested a reason for doing so would be to prove he's not making it up.

I have no connection with ZRF80 nor was I defending him, I just noticed some things and decided to point them out, which is why I said you'll have to excuse my side-busting.
Originally posted by NorCal49er:
Why isn't anyone talking about Anthony Davis?

I realize he is a rookie, but every game this kid seems to hurt this team with false starts, miss blocks, and stupid penalties (punching the opposing defense). He once again missed several blocks in pass protection, and in essence, injured our starting QB. He also had a holding call on a punt!

At this point you might as well leave him in the game because we now have nothing to lose, but I think we should have at LEAST considered maybe Berry Sims who played very well in Staley absence at the end of last season.

I said all along Alex Boone should be given a shot.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:

When did I say otherwise? But the QB touches the ball on every offensive play. Not all positions are equal. I harp on Smith because he is the most overrated player on our team, at the most important position on our team.

BTW, we would be an NFC Championship contender with a real QB and a real HC. That's how close we are.

Who over rates him? His mother, wife, his other relatives, friends and a handful of zoners who drink their twelve pack, before the game starts.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
surprised this thread wasn't moved to nfl talk.

Exactly!
  • ZRF80

Nice try though.....

Two independent statements. I clarified it in the thread when someone asked. Like I said, nice try...............
  • ZRF80

Nice try though.....

Only part of what I was saying ? Provide proof.
Share 49ersWebzone