• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
We would have probably won if Alex didn't get hurt.

He was having a pretty good day until the injury. Carr certainly isn't better.

Oh I am just eating popcorn waiting for the Smith haters to attempt to reply to this.

9/19 126 yards.....only sustaining one good drive. Yeah, pretty good day alright...compared to who ? Carr ?

Did he play the whole game or get knocked out with an injury?

actually, ZR has a point. Smith only had one long pass, and IMO it was underthrown.... VDavis had to slow down to get it... should have been a TD, but the net result was the same thankfully. Smith didn't light it up, he just played average considering he was playing the worst team in the league. Also, he had a good first drive, then only produced field goals, which is his hallmark (usually capped with a game killing INT at the end).
  • ZRF80

Oh I am just eating popcorn waiting for the Smith haters to attempt to reply to this.

9/19 126 yards.....only sustaining one good drive. Yeah, pretty good day alright...compared to who ? Carr ?

Cause without the injury, he wouldve gone 29/39, 400 yards, and 4 TDs ?

Those first half stats are a good representation of Alex, do you disagree ?
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
yeah, noodles would be killing right now

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....

i was in the gameday thread when you said that. you said with smith out, our d is playing better. it's not a shocker considering all you do is hate on him.
  • ZRF80

actually, ZR has a point. Smith only had one long pass, and IMO it was underthrown.... VDavis had to slow down to get it... should have been a TD, but the net result was the same thankfully. Smith didn't light it up, he just played average considering he was playing the worst team in the league. Also, he had a good first drive, then only produced field goals, which is his hallmark (usually capped with a game killing INT at the end).

Smith's supporters are using Carr to defend Smith. He's already proven he's not good enough to be compared to the rest of the league's QBs, so a lot of posters have resorted (this season) to compare Alex to himself (from previous years) or in today's case........David Carr.

Im amazed no one sees the irony in all this.

Here's a valid question: In all the games that Alex has played, how many come from behind has he won?

In view of this, it's hard for me to believe that he would have come from behind on this as well. But who knows, even the blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

You said he was having a "pretty good day until the injury." Well, 9 of 19 is NOT a "pretty good day." We're not discussing whether or not he finished the game because the quote in question is about his play UP UNTIL THE INJURY. It's your own quote and you still didn't comprehend it? Wow.
  • ZRF80

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....

i was in the gameday thread when you said that. you said with smith out, our d is playing better. it's not a shocker considering all you do is hate on him.

You mean where I said, "Smith's out ! Our D is playing better !" ? Two independent statements that you interpreted as, "Smith's out, THEREFORE our D is playing better !"

There are two extremes, the Alex excuse people and you guys. I know he isn't that good, but that was a good pass. It's impossible to analyze him for this game because he only played a couple of quarters. He was playing better the last few games.

Also, there was several drive killing penalties that's out of his hands. Be objective.

That pass was perfect. You want to throw it slightly under because if you overthrow it's incomplete. Which we do a lot. This way you have a 50 yard gain and the ball at the one. Better than an overthow incomplete pass any day.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:14:19 ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I think you're the one forgetting how he looked. He did nothing to get benched. Even the announcers were discussing that. They just needed a change of pace and Alex provided that, then they stuck with him for the rest of the season.

You're just BSing now.

Are you kidding me? We couldn't get the ball downfield for six quarters. They didn't bench him for fun. He was playing horrible. We were getting our a55 handed to us in Houston.

This is the bottom line, Smith is the best option by far. Hill is decent, but come on, we aren't gonna win a superbowl with him. We can use our entire playbook with Smith. I know you despise him, but he was actually playing better before the injury.

Btw, Hill is gone. Do you want Carr to continue to play? Or, do you have confidence in Troy Smith or Nate Davis?

I don't want Carr even being on the roster. Does that answer your question?

Nice try though.....

You mean where I said, "Smith's out ! Our D is playing better !" ? Two independent statements that you interpreted as, "Smith's out, THEREFORE our D is playing better !"

No, it was before that. It's okay, I wouldn't admit to it either.
If our defense didn't give up 23 points to the worst offense in football we would have won this game.

I think you're the one forgetting how he looked. He did nothing to get benched. Even the announcers were discussing that. They just needed a change of pace and Alex provided that, then they stuck with him for the rest of the season.

You're just BSing now.

Are you kidding me? We couldn't get the ball downfield for six quarters. They didn't bench him for fun. He was playing horrible. We were getting our a55 handed to us in Houston.

This is the bottom line, Smith is the best option by far. Hill is decent, but come on, we aren't gonna win a superbowl with him. We can use our entire playbook with Smith. I know you despise him, but he was actually playing better before the injury.

Btw, Hill is gone. Do you want Carr to continue to play? Or, do you have confidence in Troy Smith or Nate Davis?

No, who do you want to play then? Do you think Smith is the best option when healthy?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

You're just BSing now.

No, who do you want to play then? Do you think Smith is the best option when healthy?

I know you didn't ask me, but I have said many times before that Smith is our best option when healthy. But I also think he is highly erratic and needs to be a back up for the Bills.

That pass was perfect. You want to throw it slightly under because if you overthrow it's incomplete. Which we do a lot. This way you have a 50 yard gain and the ball at the one. Better than an overthow incomplete pass any day.

LMAO.

Davis had a step on the defender. I'm sure all NFL QB's are taught to under throw the ball in those situations. I mean who wants to score, right?

If that pass hits him in stride, its a TD.