LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Reason for the sh*tty o-line play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
well, let's see. A HC who wants to play smash mouth 1985 Bears football in 2010, and knows no Xs or Os, even disdains the Xs and Os. Virtually every 2nd down in I formation we run frank up middle, rt or lt. Not too hard to defend when everyone in the stadium knows
"It's frank".

The former 18 month debacle of not getting plays in on time ...18 months. Good grief, everyone except bigmike(BM) knew that was a major league problem. Telegraphing before game day "smash mouth football" is so juvenile and stupid that i can't find words to describe it. And please, no one tell me that BM is not calling plays, either indirectly during game planning on Mon, or actually during the game. It is BM's baby...or BM's bm, if you prefer.

You can spread blame around for a half acre, but at end of day, it is the under-trained, slow thinking, unimaginative, predictable , 1985 HC out there ...and he, just like Bill Walsh, is responsible for each and every part of that football team. Difference is that Coach Walsh knew every aspect of every play...each block ,each D call, each PR call, each KO call, each OL play called. He also was one of the best OC coaches in hx. Take the LB coach, now our HC, and compare. No time spent in the trenches
(a couple yrs under noln coaching LBs hardly qualifies anyone for any coaching position), except, well, maybe LB coach...which is exactly what i think BM is...a good LB coach. And LB coaches...well, they don't really have a lot of know how re: OL play... and there's your answer.
Originally posted by Rulo:
Maybe they Hate Alex Smith, as much as the majority of fans do, and are trying to get him killed....

I sure hope not. Scary first post.
Rookie + Rookie + Injured Center + Chilo...

/ End Thread.

The reason for the sh*tty O-line play is because fans like excuses, and O-line is always a perfect scapegoat.

If the defensive line plays perfect, the quarterback is sacked almost every play, and the running back gains negative yards.
If the DB's play perfect, they can stop 90% of the thrown passes.
If the LB's play perfect, they will help make a lot of big plays.
If the running back plays perfect, he can break some long runs and gain steady yardage.
If the quarterback plays perfect, no one cares about poor O-line play (ie Indy, Green Bay, New England), because the quarterback dodged sacks and made the throws anyway.
If the O-line plays perfect, no one notices or cares because they are "supposed" to play that way.
If the coordinators call a perfect game, the players don't have to make big plays.

But if all of them play less than perfect, all the thunder and brimstone rains down upon the O-line because less than perfect play brings out all the flaws in the players and schemes around them.
Still his fault IMO

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by danimal:
I am willing to admit that maybe I was wrong about Solari.

Maybe he is not that good afterall.

However, many of us warned others that a season featuring 2 rookies on the line could be mainly a developmental season.

It was funny how many people were stoked about the draft picks for 2010. I was stoked with the Davis, Iupati picks for 2011 and beyond, but if they actually made the starting squad in 2010 that is not a good thing.

I doubt that Davis earned his starting role. I am sure that Staley could have been moved to RT and Sims at LT with Iupati and Baas at RG until Heitmann was injured.

Really. Why? Davis and Mike will play at one point or another i guess he's in the fire cause we suck for talent at both spots and really so now we show promise we can't get worse then last ha in 5 years are oline could be 1.

Baas show's besides a bad snap he should have been the starting center years ago. Heitmann is good, but no push ever. alex hasn't had a rt for 6 years. lol glassman could play lt but, joe at least he's healthy enough to be in games and he's the best pass blocker on the worst oline and he's not a run blocker sims isn't either and we have to run because we sure can't pass.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The reason for the sh*tty O-line play is because fans like excuses, and O-line is always a perfect scapegoat.

If the defensive line plays perfect, the quarterback is sacked almost every play, and the running back gains negative yards.
If the running back plays perfect, he can break some long runs and gain steady yardage.
If the quarterback plays perfect, no one cares about poor O-line play (ie Indy, Green Bay, New England), because the quarterback dodged sacks and made the throws anyway.
If the O-line plays perfect, no one notices or cares because they are "supposed" to play that way.
If the coordinators call a perfect game, the players don't have to make big plays.

But if all of them play less than perfect, all the thunder and brimstone rains down upon the O-line because less than perfect play brings out all the flaws in the players and schemes around them.

Um yes. But in this case it really is the s**tty O line.

And this was virtually inevitable with Rachal and 2 rookies, even before Heit went down. These guys take time to develop. Perhaps we should have stuck with Simms and kept Davis on the bench, I don't know.

Our new head coach next year will very likely find that the O line is coming together and is one of his strengths
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
"We do more at the line of scrimmage with our quarterback in redirecting protections and making calls than any other team that I have been around," Johnson said.

In the article on the front page about getting gore rest, i saw this quote and immediately thought, maybe just maybe, this could be the reason we can barely or pass protect.

Thoughts?

wrong..... alex can read d's, his problems is not taking chances and taking to much time to make a decision. definitely not his fault for poor oline play.... yay more to blame on alex. lmao
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

some 9ner fans just blame alex
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
new scheme, 2 rookies, injuries

Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Rulo:
Maybe they Hate Alex Smith, as much as the majority of fans do, and are trying to get him killed....

I sure hope not. Scary first post.

no that would only happen if Alex shaved points from a football game like in the longest yard
a rookie RT playing next to chilo "turnstile" rachal puts way more pressure on him since rachal is useless and Iupati is a beast but its still a rookie and tends to be overaggressive at times. add that to staley playing like s**t this year or maybe looking bad because of iupati's rookies mistakes and there are your answers. im not worried about it, once they get their growing pains out of the way we should have one of the best lines in the league for years to come.
Originally posted by danimal:
However, many of us warned others that a season featuring 2 rookies on the line could be mainly a developmental season.

Bingo. Count me among the many that high hopes for quick line development. It just doesn't happen that quickly. It normally takes two seasons for a line to come into its own and we just expected WAY too much out of our top rookie selections this season.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
well, let's see. A HC who wants to play smash mouth 1985 Bears football in 2010, and knows no Xs or Os, even disdains the Xs and Os. Virtually every 2nd down in I formation we run frank up middle, rt or lt. Not too hard to defend when everyone in the stadium knows
"It's frank".

The former 18 month debacle of not getting plays in on time ...18 months. Good grief, everyone except bigmike(BM) knew that was a major league problem. Telegraphing before game day "smash mouth football" is so juvenile and stupid that i can't find words to describe it. And please, no one tell me that BM is not calling plays, either indirectly during game planning on Mon, or actually during the game. It is BM's baby...or BM's bm, if you prefer.

You can spread blame around for a half acre, but at end of day, it is the under-trained, slow thinking, unimaginative, predictable , 1985 HC out there ...and he, just like Bill Walsh, is responsible for each and every part of that football team. Difference is that Coach Walsh knew every aspect of every play...each block ,each D call, each PR call, each KO call, each OL play called. He also was one of the best OC coaches in hx. Take the LB coach, now our HC, and compare. No time spent in the trenches
(a couple yrs under noln coaching LBs hardly qualifies anyone for any coaching position), except, well, maybe LB coach...which is exactly what i think BM is...a good LB coach. And LB coaches...well, they don't really have a lot of know how re: OL play... and there's your answer.

Well said.
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
"It's frank".

Well said.

Period! End of discussion.

Ultimately whether some like it or not, it IS Mike Singletary's team plain and simple from the offense to the D to ST.

This is his brand.

I don't want that brand next year. This year is done. We are not getting a new HC or QB so deal with it fellas. You can argue until the cows come home (need a burger?), but it fruitless.

The writing is on the wall. I know Jed is not liking his decision about choosing this brand of football. Thank goodness that the season imploded quickly to shed light on the severe deficiencies in our HC's OVERALL NFL COACHING experience.

So he gives full reigns to the OL to Solari and Brown and they have done well to try to get this squad up quickly. However, I'm sure it was Singletary's decision all along to get the rooks in even at the cost of development, efficiency and wins.

Again, he made that choice. He could have taken Chilo out for a vet with a A. Davis for example to give more continuity to the OL. Instead, we have three out of the five OLs as newbies. Yes, I still consider Rachal a newb because he has developed that well into the starting role.

It all comes down to executing the HC's game plan. Well, that's tough when you set your OL up for failure by putting two rooks in with a fragile OL.

Share 49ersWebzone