LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Reason for the sh*tty o-line play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"We do more at the line of scrimmage with our quarterback in redirecting protections and making calls than any other team that I have been around," Johnson said.

In the article on the front page about getting gore rest, i saw this quote and immediately thought, maybe just maybe, this could be the reason we can barely or pass protect.

Thoughts?
the answer is because we have 2 rookie lineman and a piece of crap RG in Chilo Rachal. Staley isn't very good either but he is at least serviceable.
reason? we have a sh*tty o-line.
Originally posted by backontop:
the answer is because we have 2 rookie lineman and a piece of crap RG in Chilo Rachal. Staley isn't very good either but he is at least serviceable.

This, so gore has no holes (even when we don't run out of the iform) and ALex has zero time.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
2010 draft
I am willing to admit that maybe I was wrong about Solari.

Maybe he is not that good afterall.

However, many of us warned others that a season featuring 2 rookies on the line could be mainly a developmental season.

It was funny how many people were stoked about the draft picks for 2010. I was stoked with the Davis, Iupati picks for 2011 and beyond, but if they actually made the starting squad in 2010 that is not a good thing.

[ Edited by danimal on Oct 21, 2010 at 15:23:57 ]
I dont belive our o-line is necessarily sh**ty. That long run from gore had some beautiful blocking to spring him. Part of the problem is that defenses key on gore, giving westbrook and dixon a look would provide more of a change of pace and give defenses some different looks, also our pass blocking woes stem from the fact that we do have two rookies starting, that will come along, staley is kind of struggling but he's a good player, I would consider switching him and Davis in the offseason, chilo is just turning out to be an average guard and should probably be benched if we can get better production from someone else. Our line will play better as they gel, but its also up to the coaching staff to make some moves to put them in a better position to improve.
Originally posted by danimal:

However, many of us warned others that a season featuring 2 rookies on the line could be mainly a developmental season.

It was funny how many people were stoked about the draft picks for 2010. I was stoked with the Davis, Iupati picks for 2011 and beyond, but if they actually made the starting squad in 2010 that is not a good thing.

I doubt that Davis earned his starting role. I am sure that Staley could have been moved to RT and Sims at LT with Iupati and Baas at RG until Heitmann was injured.

True, we should have expected this, how often do you start two rookies on the OL in this league and have it all click that season, that being said tho, i think they get it together as the season goes on, they show improvement every game, they just need to limit the mental mistakes in blitz pickup.
the answer is because we have 2 rookie lineman and a piece of crap RG in Chilo Rachal. Staley isn't very good either but he is at least serviceable.[/quote]

After watching the last game, I got to wonder if Staley is serviceable. I mean WOW the Raiders ate Staley's lunch! His worst game as a pro hands down.

[ Edited by vamphunter23 on Oct 21, 2010 at 15:39:03 ]

• Rulo
  • Veteran
Maybe they Hate Alex Smith, as much as the majority of fans do, and are trying to get him killed....

I doubt that Davis earned his starting role. I am sure that Staley could have been moved to RT and Sims at LT with Iupati and Baas at RG until Heitmann was injured.

I agree and disagree. While he might have already been penciled in as the starter, i think is neccessary. Offensive tackles dont just come in the league and light it up, unless your name is orlando pace, or joe thomas, and even they struggled at times. I think most rookie tackles play much better when they start early, it gives them a chance to adjust to the game speed, whatch davis play, you'll see that he has the phiysical tools to become a dominant tackle, when he gets beat its usually a mental mistake, I think he'll be pretty good when he rounds into form.
Anthony davis needs to be benched, he needs to watch and learn, instead of learning on the fly.

If someone else were in his place, maybe we would be putting up a few more points per game? (qb having more time, less penalties.. etc.)
Originally posted by qwestlove94:

I agree and disagree. While he might have already been penciled in as the starter, i think is neccessary. Offensive tackles dont just come in the league and light it up, unless your name is orlando pace, or joe thomas, and even they struggled at times. I think most rookie tackles play much better when they start early, it gives them a chance to adjust to the game speed, whatch davis play, you'll see that he has the phiysical tools to become a dominant tackle, when he gets beat its usually a mental mistake, I think he'll be pretty good when he rounds into form.

I also think part of the problem is that he doesn't have any support in Chilo Rachal. The OLine plays a lot better with Snyder at RG.
Think about the system. Sing had very basic ideas as to how the game should be played. I would guess that he wants simple blocking schemes and that means the offense has to overwhelm the defenders.

Is there a line anywhere that can simply impose its will agains huge, fast defenders?
Share 49ersWebzone