There are 202 users in the forums

Special teams not making big plays

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Special teams not making big plays

It seems as if our team is one of the few not making big plays on special teams (other than the Mays blocked punt touchdown). Do you think that special teams play is related to how the rest of the team plays, or should they be expected to perform and make big plays on their own?
Vote who you think is responsible for the lack of special teams play.
I guess you missed Mays TD off a blocked Punt and Ginn having some good progress in the Punt and Kick return game?

Look I'm not happy with the 9 and 12 men on the field issues from the last game, but our ST hasn't had a lot of negative issues happen.

Oh that Return Fumble against the Chiefs(I believe that was the game) could have honestly happened to anybody. The ball didn't even hit the guy. The Refs said it did but it didn't. You cannot blame that on Shottzy. That is on the stupidity of the Refs. I forget if we challenged it but I don't believe that we did and we took their mistake in the shorts.

I'm more worried about the turnover and penalty bug that has hit both the Offense and the Defense. Nobody on this team has any room to point fingers and they are not doing so.

So please don't take this negatively but IBTL because this is a team issue not just one unit.

Oh yes, the 9 and 12 man are Player penalties. These guys KNOW their jobs and they are solely responsible for it. If it continues to happen game after game with no change then it's ST coach. If it continues to happen after he's coached them through it then it's on Sing to get a handle on it. After that someone should be fired.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 21, 2010 at 05:19:49 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I guess you missed Mays TD off a blocked Punt and Ginn having some good progress in the Punt and Kick return game?

Look I'm not happy with the 9 and 12 men on the field issues from the last game, but our ST hasn't had a lot of negative issues happen.

Oh that Return Fumble against the Chiefs(I believe that was the game) could have honestly happened to anybody. The ball didn't even hit the guy. The Refs said it did but it didn't. You cannot blame that on Shottzy. That is on the stupidity of the Refs. I forget if we challenged it but I don't believe that we did and we took their mistake in the shorts.

I'm more worried about the turnover and penalty bug that has hit both the Offense and the Defense. Nobody on this team has any room to point fingers and they are not doing so.

So please don't take this negatively but IBTL because this is a team issue not just one unit.

Oh yes, the 9 and 12 man are Player penalties. These guys KNOW their jobs and they are solely responsible for it. If it continues to happen game after game with no change then it's ST coach. If it continues to happen after he's coached them through it then it's on Sing to get a handle on it. After that someone should be fired.

~Ceadder

Sorry buddy, but the question wasn't about playing bad, or making turnovers on ST, but the question was why aren't we making MORE POSITIVE BIG PLAYS. No return touchdowns, no big gains, no good field position. No forced fumbles..

And if you read above i did mention the Mays TD/blocked punt as one of our few good plays.

I'll re-do the question: WHY AREN'T WE MAKING MORE BIG PLAYS?
p.s. the 9 or 12 player thing isn't a small thing. It's HUGE. I havn't even seen that in high school games.
p.p.s. I didn't take it personaly peace
Have you not seen the past 2 games with Ginn as the returner?

He has had some nice returns giving us excellent field position, he is gettin close to breaking one. It will happen soon
Sorry buddy, not seeing that way the last few games. Ginn and the return teams are finding chemistry and for the most part, they are working hard for each other. Saw some real nice crease blocks 2 games ago. Cover teams are coming together well, also. Nice discipline in lanes.

Our net (yds) are easily in the top 3rd in the league.

Yeah, we haven't sprung a td & we haven't forced a fumble - yet. But, haven't we had a lot of turnover on st's due to injury and wanting to incorporate younger/fresher legs?

Go back to your Alex bashing. No big story here.
Originally posted by valrod33:

He has had some nice returns giving us excellent field position, he is gettin close to breaking one. It will happen soon

This. Also, our new gunner looked pretty damn impressive. I was live at the game and haven't seen it on TV yet, but they looked pretty damn good overall out there!
U have to remeber Ginn is getting back into the groove of things. And he's been giving us great returns eventhough he has not gone the distance YET. our punt and kick off coverage has been pretty good over all. I agree we could use more big plays but u could say that for the offense and defense too.
Last season they couldn't field a punt or kickoff so I consider this year an improvement.(One of the few)
Originally posted by tondiman:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Sorry buddy, but the question wasn't about playing bad, or making turnovers on ST, but the question was why aren't we making MORE POSITIVE BIG PLAYS. No return touchdowns, no big gains, no good field position. No forced fumbles..

And if you read above i did mention the Mays TD/blocked punt as one of our few good plays.

I'll re-do the question: WHY AREN'T WE MAKING MORE BIG PLAYS?
p.s. the 9 or 12 player thing isn't a small thing. It's HUGE. I havn't even seen that in high school games.
p.p.s. I didn't take it personaly peace

I'm sorry but I do not believe that you can take a third of the season and quantify the outcome to the entire season. It's a limited sample size.

While I do believe that we lost a big part of our ST when Robinson was cut, I do not believe that we'd been negatively affected on ST.

I don't know what HS games you're regularly watching but I've played HS ball and I gotta say we're not perfect. And if you're gonna have these kinds of issues that's where I expect to see them happen. I wasn't happy that it happened to our unit but I'm not gonna take one game and quantify it to the whole season and make like the sky is falling. If it happens again, I may feel differently but 12 men on the field happens to all 32 teams. Someone thinks they are supposed to be in or someone is slow getting off the field. Sh!t happens in this regard. They get their ass chewed for it and it's a nonissue moving forward.

That 9 men on the field is somewhat disconcerting but hey that stuff happens too. Though let's be fair about it, you cannot blame the ST Coordinator for two Dolts not paying attention. I have not a single doubt in my mind that Shottenheimer called for the proper unit. Nor that he was loud enough. If they didn't get on the field that's on them. No need to wig about it at this juncture.

I still be the

~Ceadder
There are a lot of new people on the team and I for one am happy that they are at least catching the ball and then holding on to the ball. I think we are getting good placement by Ginn. Every ten yards of advancement increases our potentiality of getting a touchdown. If we don'g get any touchdowns from ST at least we are not giving the ball away. So overall I am happy with our STs. I would like to see Williams healthy enough to get some punts but Ginn has done his part for us.

Frankly, I'll be pretty happy if the ST could just avoid turning the ball over.

If it weren't for that muffed punt, the Saints game would have been ours.
Spillman is a ST STUD!!!!!!!

Ginn had a great day against OAK... He didn't take any back for 6, but he indeed do us a whole lot of good. Giving us good field position.

But, I do see your point. Now the last thing we need to do is say that our ST needs to give us something big every time they get an opportunity because, that will not happen. Matter of fact, that would result in more TO's IMO.

I didn't vote on this simply because our W's or L's are not gonna revolve around whether we get huge returns on punts, kicks, or w/e. Although they do help a lot, it's not like we cannot win w/out it.

Then again, we do have Ginn, who is actually doing us favors if you have been watching our games ever since he came back. He'll probably have his own appreciation thread soon enough. It's not all about getting touchdowns every time, (although that would be nice) getting good field position, (maybe our 40 on a kick return) would be nice and let the offense do the rest.

No one should have to worry about our ST now because we have a guy that not only can hold on to the ball, but also make moves with it as opposed to our previous who got too damn eager.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Let us try to get the right amount of men on the field first, then worry about making a play. One thing at a time. You wonder if it is the coach isn't smart enough to coach 8 year olds, or the players can't pay attention any better than 8 year olds. No offense to 8 year olds that play tackle football or the guys who coach them.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Share 49ersWebzone