LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Play by Play analysis on Oakland vs SF

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1st and 10 at OAK 12 J.Campbell pass incomplete deep middle to L.Murphy. J.Campbell passes after toss back from M.Bush. PENALTY on SF-S.Spencer, Defensive Pass Interference, 46 yards, enforced at OAK 12 - No Play.
no push from the 3 DL... Haralson drops in short zone... Manny blocked by TE and then doubled by RT... no pressure... Spencer beaten but catching up to the bomb... never gets his head around or it would have been an easy INT or knock away... good PI call by only half a second... Spencer thinks otherwise.

1st and 10 at SF 42 M.Bush left tackle to SF 37 for 5 yards (N.Clements).
The center handles Sopoaga well... the LG occupies Franklin well enough as the LT slips out but doesn't get hold of Spikes.... extra OL on the end stands Justin up and keeps him busy... nice FB lead block to clear out Haralson... good job Clements to disengage WR block and make part of tackle... Goldson + TKO clean up.

2nd and 5 at SF 37 M.Bush right end to SF 37 for no gain (I.Sopoaga).
very good job by Franklin, Manny, and particularly Sopoaga to eat this run up

3rd and 5 at SF 37 (Shotgun) J.Campbell pass short middle to M.Bush to SF 30 for 7 yards (P.Willis) [A.Brooks]. Caught at SF 42.
great pressure around edge for Haralson, but he gets shoved just wide of QB by RT at last second... Brooks (at RE) stunts in cleanly and also gets sick pressure.... disgustingly amazing job by QB to get the dump-off pass out. Bowman with lousy mis-tackle... Willis + Mays clean up

1st and 10 at SF 30 J.Campbell pass short left to D.Heyward-Bey pushed ob at SF 26 for 4 yards (S.Spencer).
very quick (2 second) pass due to our soft cushion from Spencer... front 7 had no chance here

2nd and 6 at SF 26 M.Bush up the middle to SF 24 for 2 yards (J.Smith)
Franklin anchors well vs the OC as does Sopoaga vs RT... RG slips to 2nd level but can't contain Willis well... Justin slips inside of LT to come around and make great tackle... TKO took on 2nd level LG block well enough... *OGs getting instantly to 2nd level*

3rd and 4 at SF 24 (Shotgun) M.Bush up the middle to SF 19 for 5 yards (P.Willis; R.McDonald). 49ers challenge play but play is ruled unreviewable
RayMac gets handled too much from RG... LG walls off Justin... OLBs are not a factor for this inside run... RT is instantly on Willis for good block... OC comes 2nd level for Bowman, who stepped inside of him to help with the dragging RayMac tackle.

* Singletary's ignorant forward-progress challenge here actually prevented the next play from happening... good thing for us, as RB gashed us to get inside our 10. On this play, Franklin got shoved outside of rush lane by RG, while the OC took out Bowman just beyond the LOS.

1st and 10 at SF 19 M.Bush up the middle to SF 19 for no gain (M.Lawson).
Manny crashed in, read the blocks, and made great tackle. Good anchoring from Sopoaga and Franklin along that right side.

2nd and 10 at SF 19 J.Campbell scrambles right end to SF 17 for 2 yards (T.Spikes).
Manny flew in and knocked FB on his back... but... FB grabbed and held onto Manny's upper legs (while RB pawed at him) to prevent Manny from pursuing the rollout QB. Manny was furiously and justifiably "grabbing for his flag" to signal the hold, but no call came. Strong TKO tackle of QB to prevent much gain

3rd and 8 at SF 17 (Shotgun) J.Campbell scrambles up the middle to SF 8 for 9 yards (T.Mays).
QB was indecisive, and the pressure then came from Justin on an outside stunt + the right side closing in from RayMac + Haralson. QB runs for it and gets it thanks to horrible angle from Bowman

1st and 8 at SF 8 J.Campbell pass short right to L.Murphy to SF 4 for 4 yards (N.Clements). FUMBLES (N.Clements), and recovers at SF 4.
Very quick WR pass to beat the soft cushion of Clements

2nd and 4 at SF 4 M.Bush up the middle to SF 4 for no gain (T.Spikes).
PENALTY on OAK-L.Walker, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at SF 4 - No Play. (all stout from front 7... good stuff from Willis, Goldson, TKO)

Timeout #1 by OAK at 07:17.
2nd and 9 at SF 9 J.Campbell pass incomplete short right to L.Murphy.
excellent penetration from Sopoaga, but RB cuts him well... Manny comes flying in, all the way from ROLB across field to get pressure on rolling QB

3rd and 9 at SF 9 J.Campbell pass incomplete short right to M.Reece.
RayMac and Justin held back well, Manny washed outside from QB... good coverage from James and the Mays coming over.

4th and 9 at SF 9 S.Janikowski 27 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Condo, Holder-S.Lechler. 3 0
S.Janikowski kicks 62 yards from OAK 30 to SF 8. T.Ginn to SF 29 for 21 yards (R.Brown; S.Brown).
-----
1st and 10 at SF 29 A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to J.Morgan. PENALTY on OAK-L.Houston, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced at SF 29 - No Play. VD held LE Kelly initially, but started getting backed up quickly to QB... rest of blocking was fine... deep ball to Morgan was about 2 inches from his hands... arms were not quite fully stretched out. Really don't know why Morgan (who loves to jump for lil 10 yard hitch routes) didn't get off the ground for this one. Good coverage on his back from CB Routt

1st and 10 at SF 44 A.Smith scrambles right end to SF 47 for 3 yards (T.Kelly). PENALTY on OAK-R.Seymour, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at SF 44 -
No Play. PA roll-out... good effort block at sideline by VD... Kelly with brutal sideline hit on Alex... who gets up and smiles at him.

1st and 5 at SF 49 T.Ginn right end pushed ob at OAK 47 for 4 yards (S.Routt). PENALTY on SF-J.Morgan, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at OAK 49. T.Ginn credited with 2-yard rush.

1st and 13 at SF 41 F.Gore up the middle to OAK 44 for 15 yards (T.Branch; M.Huff).
AD pulls and gets penetrating LB... nice block by Byham to take out LE... nice block Rachal to move out LDT enough... Baas + Iupati do enough to control RDT... Staley walls off RE... helpful blocks by VD and Morgan.. nice vision and effort Gore

1st and 10 at OAK 44 A.Smith pass incomplete short right to F.Gore.
PA... Staley beaten instantly by RE inside move... Alex forced to the right... well covered Gore jumped for it, but pass was just a bit out of bounds (safe pass where only Gore had a prayer of a shot at it)

2nd and 10 at OAK 44 F.Gore up the middle to OAK 47 for -3 yards (T.Branch; R.Seymour).
AD and Rachal do nice jobs mauling the LE and LDT.... RDT quickly slips inside of Baas while LB slips in quickly with Iupati's back turned (Mike was mauling the OTHER LB that was at the LOS on the snap) Would have been a good time for an audible... not a fan of this cutesy playcall at this time

3rd and 13 at OAK 47 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete short right to F.Gore (R.McClain).
AD falls for a faked stunt and lets LE quickly get into QB's face... Rachal got beaten inside by LDT, which didn't help AD's decision-making there. The others held up fine, but that rght-side pressure was plenty enough to ruin this play's chances

4th and 18 at SF 48 A.Lee punts 43 yards to OAK 9, Center-B.Jennings. N.Miller to OAK 9 for no gain (C.Spillman).
-----
1st and 10 at OAK 9 M.Bush up the middle to OAK 13 for 4 yards (J.Smith).
Franklin penetrated, but the wrong gap... Sopoaga lost a lil ground vs RT, but continued toward RB to make tackle... Justin lost a lil ground, but did help clog the rush lane... Willis and TKO were in the area, clogging

2nd and 6 at OAK 13 J.Campbell pass short right to M.Bush to OAK 18 for 5 yards (T.LaBoy) [A.Brooks]. Caught at OAK 9
Franklin stands up in short zone look... Justin cut down by LG, but got up quickly... Sopoaga engaged RT and RG, then spun to get a chance on RB... LaBoy cam all the way around and tackled the RB with help from Franklin... ILBs must have been in deep coverage

3rd and 1 at OAK 18 M.Bush up the middle to OAK 20 for 2 yards (A.Franklin). OAK-M.Bush was injured during the play.
Franklin was stood up, but held ground vs RG, then slipped off to get a piece of RB.. DEs held well... Goldson with hard hit on RB.

1st and 10 at OAK 20 R.Cartwright up the middle to OAK 17 for -3 yards (I.Sopoaga). PENALTY on SF-D.Goldson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at OAK 17.
Franklin got pushed back from LOS 2 yds by LG... Justin anchored well on LT... Sopoaga slipped quickly through RG and RT and made a huge backfield stop on RB

1st and 10 at OAK 32 M.Bush up the middle to OAK 34 for 2 yards (T.Spikes).
Franklin slid right vs RG, but missed (or altered) the rush lane... Willis blew up the RT and shoved him back into RB as TKO was there to clean up (Manny was helpful cutting inside for RB also)

2nd and 8 at OAK 34 J.Campbell pass short middle to D.Heyward-Bey to OAK 42 for 8 yards (W.James).
RayMac gets excellent push, backing RG into QB quickly... Haralson (as LE in 3 point stance) cuts inside of RT for excellent QB pressure... Evans gets tripped up, and is useless... Manny gets quickly around edge, but can't push through LT... quick tackle by James

1st and 10 at OAK 42 M.Bush right guard to OAK 45 for 3 yards (D.Evans).
Franklin and RayMac overwhelmed by multiple OL and get washed out of run lane, but Evans comes over for a nice tackle... good clogging from Wllis, TKO, and Mays

End of 1st Quarter

to be continued....
sweet! keep it coming.
So, our offensive line didn't play well on that first drive??

P.S. You chronicle the OL weekly, in an in-depth manner. What do you think the team should do about this line? I know you are attempting to stay objective, which is much appreciated, but you have better idea than virtually anyone on the strengths and weaknesses of this unit.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:52:16 ]
Originally posted by FourNine49:
sweet! keep it coming.

Thanks, and I'll get the 2nd quarter done later today or tomorrow. Takes so much of my day to do this, but I enjoy it.

... and no, MD... our OL was doing its usual harm to our offensive success.
I felt like our OL was preetty crappy all day yesterday. Had Smith hit that deep ball to Morgan, I bet they would have respected the pass for the rest of the game.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

P.S. You chronicle the OL weekly, in an in-depth manner. What do you think the team should do about this line? I know you are attempting to stay objective, which is much appreciated, but you have better idea than virtually anyone on the strengths and weaknesses of this unit.

I really don't have a solution worth mentioning yet or maybe never will. While I do watch these games plenty during the weeks, some of them were so awful that I simply couldn't "get it up" to pay close attention to each individual matchup.

So honestly, I can't at this time say what we should do to get more from our OL. I might be more inclined to do nothing, and then have a private chat with Staley and Davis. (were I someone in charge of decision-making)
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I felt like our OL was preetty crappy all day yesterday. Had Smith hit that deep ball to Morgan, I bet they would have respected the pass for the rest of the game.

I agree and agree. That one pass could have really spun this game differently.

Seems that the normal SOP for our OL is to always have at least 1 of them fail badly each play. Always changing from individual to individual screw-up.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

How about getting the ball to Crabtree for 32 yards. Is that good enough to respect? The the pass to Davis was pretty good as well.

It seems to me that the offense is starting to jell. We need better line play, but that seems to be coming along as well. It appears that there is some period in the game that the offense recognizes that they need to play. We have seen it happen in the New Orleans game, then in the Atlanta game, and now in the Raiders game. We still have a lot of loose fitting pieces. But if they continue to win, to tighten up, and then have all of their better games in the playoff, I am good for that.
Goldson hitting Bush out changed Bush's play the remainder of the game.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
This reminded me of Franklin's play. I thought RJF was more active when he saw the field.

Seeing as how I've been saying Heitmann and Staley are garbage while many have been singing their praises, I feel qualified to say what the coaches need to do with the line. On top of that, I also called Baas being the perfect upgrade for Heitmann given the circumstances.

Put Simms back in at LT and if he can't get it done this year, move Davis. He played LT in college and he probably feels better over there, just as Baas feels better at C than LG. Next up, Move Staley back to RT. After that, bench Chilo, or maybe even cut him. If we can get a 5th or 6th for him, do it. In place of Chilo, insert whoever is performing better, Heitmann or Snyder.

LT - Simms/Davis
LG - Iupati
C - Baas
RG - Heitmann/Snyder
RT - Staley

Without practicing, I bet that line would perform better than anything we've seen this year outside of the Saints game. And speaking of the Saints game, I'm not sure why we can't get back to that performance. Perhaps it is how predictable our offense is...
good read keep it coming

for everyone saying we should move Staley, it would be the wrong move.
You want your best run blockers on the right side of the line, a majority of runs in the NFL go to the right. He would be an absolute liability there. LT is where u want your best pass blocker. Like it or not he the best we got.
Originally posted by Bayerrya:
good read keep it coming

for everyone saying we should move Staley, it would be the wrong move.
You want your best run blockers on the right side of the line, a majority of runs in the NFL go to the right. He would be an absolute liability there. LT is where u want your best pass blocker. Like it or not he the best we got.

Simms was better than him last year. The run blocking hasn't been anywhere near great to the right. Mix it up!
The biggest thing for a line is continuity. We lost that before the season started. But moving them all over the place is a recipe for disaster.
SF did a lot last year to protect Sims. ( just saying... )

I just barely got into the 2nd quarter, but guess who beat Staley for a sack? Rookie Matt Shaughnessy at RE.
Share 49ersWebzone