LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Should we resign anyone?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Ray McDonald is the only one that's worth resigning. Lawson may be worth it if we shift to a 4-3 D.

Nate Clements better be willing to move to FS if he wants to remain on the team and get paid at his current contract. Clements-Mays duo with R. Smith and Taylor as backups seems like a good core for the safety positions. Goldson plays stupid out there.
Originally posted by kstolai:
Bring in Merriman!
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Smith. He proved today he can lead us to the Superbowl.

lol/ wut team were we playin
  • 8to80
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You should resign from posting.

Haha. Good one.

I don't know why everyone here seems to hate Goldson. I think he is a good FS who is young and able to make improvements. Sometimes he likes to pull ganster stuff, and give us penalties, but overall he contributes his fair share to the team. I also see he is improving in pass defense. Clements is a good corner, but he is too old and slow. I really wish he would move to safety; otherwise, we need to cut him loose (can't even trade him for a 7th rounder). Macdonald is decent, and we should resign him because it won't cost us too much.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Ray McDonald is the only one that's worth resigning. Lawson may be worth it if we shift to a 4-3 D.

Nate Clements better be willing to move to FS if he wants to remain on the team and get paid at his current contract. Clements-Mays duo with R. Smith and Taylor as backups seems like a good core for the safety positions. Goldson plays stupid out there.

Agreed. Brooks is already signed. RJF is Franklin so Franklin can walk. It starts with a philosophy. If we're running a 4-3, maybe I'd keep Lawson but he's only been running about 1/2 speed all year (question his heart/drive).
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Smith. He proved today he can lead us to the Superbowl.

I would like to buy a kilo of whatever it is that you're smoking
This team might be better off in the long run purging the coaching staff and most of the teams FA's
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by LanceQ:
I would like us to keep Manny and Dashon G. Maybe LaBoy too.

screw both them, Lawson and Goldson, both are overrated. Both can leave for all I care.

Goldson can go but I think letting Lawson go would be a huge mistake.

just dont sign Alex, that would be a huge mistake.
Manny is one of the most under appreciated players on the team. Versatile player, who gets hated on for some reason. Resign this guy.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Manny is one of the most under appreciated players on the team. Versatile player, who gets hated on for some reason. Resign this guy.

he gets hated on because some fans have unreal expectations. They expect Lawson to get 20+ sacks a season. Lawson isn't that type of LB. He is the one that will cover a TE and set the edge for the defense like no other. He gets pressure on the QB he just can't get to the QB. He was the same way at NC state. He created pressure forcing the QB to step up and into Mario Williams.

Originally posted by 8to80:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You should resign from posting.

Haha. Good one.

I don't know why everyone here seems to hate Goldson. I think he is a good FS who is young and able to make improvements. Sometimes he likes to pull ganster stuff, and give us penalties, but overall he contributes his fair share to the team. I also see he is improving in pass defense. Clements is a good corner, but he is too old and slow. I really wish he would move to safety; otherwise, we need to cut him loose (can't even trade him for a 7th rounder). Macdonald is decent, and we should resign him because it won't cost us too much.

I don't like Goldson because he wants to be paid like a top 3 FS, but doesn't play like a top 15. Is he a decent starter? Sure. But the kind of money he's asking for is insulting.

he gets hated on because some fans have unreal expectations. They expect Lawson to get 20+ sacks a season. Lawson isn't that type of LB. He is the one that will cover a TE and set the edge for the defense like no other. He gets pressure on the QB he just can't get to the QB. He was the same way at NC state. He created pressure forcing the QB to step up and into Mario Williams.

Did you say we expect 20+ per season? No no, my friend, you are confused. I think people expected 20+ during his 5 year career, and he's failed to produce that. Ok, fine, he missed a season. That's 3 and a half seasons, and 13 sacks. That's crap. You want to be the type of 3-4 OLB that doesn't get double digit sacks, ask for a reasonable salary. Like Goldson, this guy is delusional about what he's worth. I'd rather use that money and go for a legit FA. Woodly may actually become available, as the Steelers have a history of letting star Pass Rushers walk. 13 sacks his entire career! He was drafted in '06!!!
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Did you say we expect 20+ per season? No no, my friend, you are confused. I think people expected 20+ during his 5 year career, and he's failed to produce that. Ok, fine, he missed a season. That's 3 and a half seasons, and 13 sacks. That's crap. You want to be the type of 3-4 OLB that doesn't get double digit sacks, ask for a reasonable salary. Like Goldson, this guy is delusional about what he's worth. I'd rather use that money and go for a legit FA. Woodly may actually become available, as the Steelers have a history of letting star Pass Rushers walk. 13 sacks his entire career! He was drafted in '06!!!

OLBs have other responsibilities besides rushing the passer. He is great at setting the edge, falling back in coverage and being a play maker. He is decent at getting pressure on the QB. How many great pass rushers are there in the NFL? Not many. Stop hating.

OLBs have other responsibilities besides rushing the passer. He is great at setting the edge, falling back in coverage and being a play maker. He is decent at getting pressure on the QB. How many great pass rushers are there in the NFL? Not many. Stop hating.

The 3-4 OLB's MAIN job is to rush the passer. Period. An OLB that doesn't get sacks and does other stuff is like a receiver that doesn't get open, but is a great blocker. A blocking WR is very important, and it's a great skill for them to have, but you don't win many games with receivers that don't get open, RBs that don't run well, CB that don't defend the pass, or OLBs that don't get to the QB. There are at least 60 pass rushers in the NFL better than Lawson....at getting to the QB that is.

The 3-4 OLB's MAIN job is to rush the passer. Period. An OLB that doesn't get sacks and does other stuff is like a receiver that doesn't get open, but is a great blocker. A blocking WR is very important, and it's a great skill for them to have, but you don't win many games with receivers that don't get open, RBs that don't run well, CB that don't defend the pass, or OLBs that don't get to the QB. There are at least 60 pass rushers in the NFL better than Lawson....at getting to the QB that is.

You're comparing apples to oranges with the WR not getting open comparison. Manny has several other responsibilities other than rushing the QB and he does a good job. Also, I would love to see your list of 60.
Share 49ersWebzone