There are 181 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Resigning Lawson.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
i wouldn't over pay him.

I would give him top 15 OLB money at most. Lawson would probably ask for top 5/top 10 money.

I could see him in a Bills or Redskins jersey next year.
i won't cry if we lose him though. we need to upgrade the OLB position, and we should try to keep him for depth/rotation, but MUST avoid paying big time money
Lawson might not get sacks but he does create pressure on the QB. He forces the QB to step up in the pocket. The problem with that is none of our other pass rushers can bring him down even if they get their slippery paws on him. The QB usually just runs for a substantial gain or dumps it off to the RB for a substantial gain.
It always seems to be good and bad with him. GREAT play on the int; horrible contain on the reverse to Murphy. Backside was his responsibility and he's barreling down the line and not containing.

And to be honest, I don't remember ANY other plays in the game that involved him. He only had 2 tackles and no sacks.
Originally posted by olapac:
It always seems to be good and bad with him. GREAT play on the int; horrible contain on the reverse to Murphy. Backside was his responsibility and he's barreling down the line and not containing.

And to be honest, I don't remember ANY other plays in the game that involved him. He only had 2 tackles and no sacks.

Totally. Two of his only three good plays this year..THIS YEAR...have been in coverage. That said, I can name twice as many plays where he was half running to the QB that lead to big TD's and plays and a few more where he literally fell on his face. I question his hustle and heart and he seems to be playing safe to leave next year. How sad that the standards are SO low for us in a 3-4 defense, fans think Manny Lawson is our best OLB. But props on that INT. That was a great hustle plays and deserves some props.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
He can cover and rush the passer stop the run. Complete Player. I'd like to keep him and find someone better on the other side to replace haralson.
nothing against the suggestion about haralson...but since when is lawson good against the pass/is he a good pass-rusher???
i bet that u wouldnt notice if we would move lawson to the bench.

[ Edited by communist on Oct 17, 2010 at 18:14:22 ]
i wouldn't over pay him.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kstolai:
i wouldn't over pay him.

+1

Same goes for Goldston
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by kstolai:
i wouldn't over pay him.

+1

Same goes for Goldston

Goldson is garbage! I wouldn't even bother resigning him. Hahaha he calls himself a ball hawk. Hmmm where has his ball hawk been???
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Great against the run? YES.
Good against the pass? YES.
Rush the passer? NOPE.

In my opinion, it'd be nice to sign him for being being good against the run and in pass coverage. But given the money he'll want, and he's not a great pass-rusher... sad to say that we're going to have to let him walk.

Great against the run? YES.
Good against the pass? YES.
Rush the passer? One step to slow!
Originally posted by 8to80:
I will have to admit that I am impressed with how he is playing this season, but that isn't saying much. I do consider that he was injured his 2nd season. Putting it bluntly, he is average at best. He is extremely athletic, and that is why he was picked in the 1st round of a draft. But, it's his 4th year in the league, and he has yet to show us he is better than average. The only compliment I can give is that he's extremely athletic, and he is an all-around OLB. But, he doesn't excel in any particular area. So we should sign him to a long-term deal? I would rather have us take our chances w/signing Merriman. At least Merriman has shown above average ability.

Hmmm how can someone be extremely athletic and just be average? Not making much sense. His key INT stopped the Raiders' momentum in the 1st qtr. He does wreak a lot of havoc in the backfield. He did have 6 sacks last year. Not too shabby.

That INT was a game changer. More so than a sack would have been. Some of you seem to live and die by sacks. Lawson is rangy enough to play safety. How many other LB's in this league make that INT? Just a handful and one of those others is on our team.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would like to resign Lawson for about 4 million a year. More than that, and let him walk. Same thing for Goldson.
Lawson needs to go he's way overrated.

He will not be resigned I guarantee you that.
I actually like Lawson. I hope we keep him, at the right price.
I hope we keep lawson, put haralson on the bench... and start merriman when we get him.