LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

0-5 in the rear view. 3/1 dogs on the road ahead...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When the 9ers take the field at The Stick this sunday, they do so as under dogs in their own building. Nothing to do with the line in Vegas or any other sucker you could find to lay 3/1 against the 9ers. This team is a 3/1 dog each and every week because it has 3 different opponents to defeat every game from this week on, it appears...

It's one thing to face the opposition in it's own building where the crowd effectively forces you to play against them, as well as their team. It's a completely different animal when that 2nd opponent you're facing is your own crowd, in your own building, which is exactly the scenario the 9ers are in.

I understand the points the fans at the game were making last sunday night and I agree with some of what went on; it needed to be said and for that you all should be commended, but just hear me out. Whether you choose to support the team this week or choose to participate in it's downfall (referring to the paper bag thing ), the end result will be the same if this team fails to get to the playoffs, regardless of what side of the fence you're on during sunday's game...

The QB a lot of you target as the foremost cause of everything sh*tty is in the last year of his contract and HAS to lead this team to the playoffs if he wants to play here. Let's be real though; we don't have an adequate replacement for him on this roster. The coach that was so sure he could beat n' smash this offense into a power running juggernaut behind what is for all intents and purposes, a brand new offensive line; has effectively put his own ass in a sling if he continues to ride the brake like an old lady. Not to mention he removed any possible scapegoat for this season when he fired Raye and his fate walks virtually hand in hand with Smith's. And then the defense. It's an incomplete 3-4 with too many make shifts on it. They've been exposed and it will be upgraded, transitioned back to a 4-3 or overhauled in the offseason. Hard to do anything about it right now.

What do you have to lose by giving this team your support? Conversely; what do you stand to gain if the team were to do what some suggest and overhaul in the middle of the season? I don't know what coach in his right mind would opt to step into a scenario where the team is facing an overhaul at nearly every key position (on the field and off) while the fan base is foaming at the mouth. Whoever this mystery man is, I'd have to question not only his sanity, but his future with the team passed this season. I really think the best we could do at this juncture would be the coaching equivalent to auto pilot. This is not going to save our season; merely signal the end of it.

Just one more thing regarding the offense. We all knew in training camp that this offensive line was new. From the coaches to the rookies along with our situation at Center, this line is new and we expected them to struggle early. Now granted, NOBODY predicted 0-5, but let's not lose perspective here. They're coming around and honestly, so are the game plans and play calling. It's like pulling teeth with these guys, particularly Sing, but progress is being made.

Anyway, back to the point: we all know the 3rd opponent our team is facing every week is themselves, and that's the opponent they have to overcome on their own. Nobody can do it for them, but we as fans can definitely make that task less difficult for them when they play at The Stick...

That said, I'd like to ask the zoners who will be attending the Oakland game to put this 0-5 start in the past where it belongs, leave your shameful grocery bag mutiny for the sorry ass Lions and Aint's teams of the past and give your team just 1 more week of your full support. We hit the road after this one and a W this week sets the table perfectly for the 9ers to make a real run at this thing. Look at the schedule guys; 9-7 is attainable and if this team gets hot, who knows???

Going back to last season this team has been playing from behind. It sucks to watch, but they don't quit. This team is a lot more mentally tough than anybody gives it credit for and that trait was put on full display for the whole world to see in that 4th quarter last week. You guys tried your absolute hardest to destroy Smith's psyche and all he did was go back out there and light the Eagles up while his own crowd unloaded one of the most powerfully nasty displays of public loathing that I've ever witnessed lol! That took onions. Maybe it's time we as fans start showing a little mental toughness as well. At the very least, if y'all are gonna sit on your hands while the D's out there you could do the O the same courtesy

Just think what a story it would be if this team overcame the worst start ever to make the playoffs. Someone's gotta be the 1st to do it. May as well be 1 of the most storied franchises in sports

[ Edited by NatralBrnThrila on Oct 15, 2010 at 20:08:57 ]
This is a good post, and I like the sentiment...

While being the first to make the playoffs after a 0-5 start, sounds like a great story, it's still probably not realistic.

The difference between making the playoffs last season, came in 3 very close games. Minny, Indy, and Seattle... This year, we have had N.O, Atl, and the Eagles...

The lessons of winning those games, was supposed to have been learned, after missing the playoffs last year. Teams that make the postseason have to win some of those games. That's just how it is...

So while it's not out of the question for this team to get on a roll, and string some wins together, I think it is out of the question to see them playing in the postseason. When all is said and done, no matter how good of a streak they may get going, those losses will loom large, just as they did last year...

I'd love to be wrong, and I'd love to be cheering come playoff time. I just don't think it's very likely that you can totally put the 0-5 in the rearview mirror. It's a small mirror, and the the NFL schedule is short indeed.

Well done on the post though. As a fan, you stick with your team on gameday. I think everyone knows how the fans feel, and you are right, paper bags are not going to change anything that already will be changed, or not changed at season's end. It is what it is...

[ Edited by 49erFan on Oct 15, 2010 at 20:14:01 ]
Originally posted by 49erFan:
This is a good post, and I like the sentiment...

While being the first to make the playoffs after a 0-5 start, sounds like a great story, it's still probably not realistic.

The difference between making the playoffs last season, came in 3 very close games. Minny, Indy, and Seattle... This year, we have had N.O, Atl, and the Eagles...

The lessons of winning those games, was supposed to have been learned, after missing the playoffs last year. Teams that make the postseason have to win some of those games. That's just how it is...

So while it's not out of the question for this team to get on a roll, and string some wins together, I think it is out of the question to see them playing in the postseason. When all is said and done, no matter how good of a streak they may get going, those losses will loom large, just as they did last year...

I'd love to be wrong, and I'd love to be cheering come playoff time. I just don't think it's very likely that you can totally put the 0-5 in the rearview mirror. It's a small mirror, and the the NFL schedule is short indeed.

Well done on the post though. As a fan, you stick with your team on gameday. I think everyone knows how the fans feel, and you are right, paper bags are not going to change anything that already will be changed, or not changed at season's end. It is what it is...

Thx for reading anyway.

I said a couple weeks ago that the team needed to pull out at least 3 wins before the bye to give themselves a realistic chance at making the playoffs. Even with a win this week it still looks pretty unrealistic lol! Either way, I ain't going nowhere until math kicks my ass.

This bag thing just really bugs me because not only would it basically signal the end of this season for me, but I can see it really being a negative thing when it comes time to evaluate who still wants to play here during the inevitable rebuild that seems to be looming. Fu**in' 0-5.

This teams just gotta win this sunday, there's no 2 ways about it.
We lose this sunday, BM(bigmike) is ONE and DONE. I'm pulling for the 9ers, but also know BM has failed in every way possible, so his HC career is over. Now it is just a matter of when. My preference? While either recruiting a HOFO like Parcells(tired of Miami), or a HC and GM(poor choice since jed doesn't have it in him...he likes big diamonds and shiny things like BM), i would much prefer BM to get his walking papers, and turn loose MJ and manusk and see what those guys can do on their own without BM getting in the way, and virtually stepping in IT.

No HC? Hell why not? BM can't HC his way out of a wet paper bag. If el foldo repeats this Sun, he is ONE and DONE. ONE and DONE. Sooner he's gone, we bring back the fun. Nobody likes to see a doodoo perform at his pressers, W or L. Compare him to Sean Payton and it's no wonder our team is so bad. Just something to think about.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
We lose this sunday, BM(bigmike) is ONE and DONE. I'm pulling for the 9ers, but also know BM has failed in every way possible, so his HC career is over. Now it is just a matter of when. My preference? While either recruiting a HOFO like Parcells(tired of Miami), or a HC and GM(poor choice since jed doesn't have it in him...he likes big diamonds and shiny things like BM), i would much prefer BM to get his walking papers, and turn loose MJ and manusk and see what those guys can do on their own without BM getting in the way, and virtually stepping in IT.

No HC? Hell why not? BM can't HC his way out of a wet paper bag. If el foldo repeats this Sun, he is ONE and DONE. ONE and DONE. Sooner he's gone, we bring back the fun. Nobody likes to see a doodoo perform at his pressers, W or L. Compare him to Sean Payton and it's no wonder our team is so bad. Just something to think about.

not that i care to actually read your entire post, or care to think about it, but what does "one and done" refer to, exactly?
We are actually -7 in Vegas.... that's a pretty big favorite.
Definitely a long road ahead but I think we can finish strong. A 6-5 record going into week 13 is not impossible.

We can still turn this season around.

Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Definitely a long road ahead but I think we can finish strong. A 6-5 record going into week 13 is not impossible.

We can still turn this season around.

I feel more optimistic about that if Jeff Fisher was the coach.

Share 49ersWebzone