There are 177 users in the forums

Change at QB WILL FIX EVERYTHING?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Change at QB WILL FIX EVERYTHING?

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Nedney missing FG's, Corners getting burnt on double moves, defense getting burnt on screens, Gore fumbling, false starts, holding penalties, fumbled punt returns, 9 interceptions

I think another QB would fix those problems too

Fixed

LB
Absolutely!

The article "The Great Niners Giveaway" explains it in more detail and it gives players perspectives along with stats on how important turnovers really are. It's lengthy but a good read.

The Great Niners Giveaway
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The change that will fix everything begins in 12 weeks, when Jon Gruden is named head coach.

Hope is around the corner, brothers and sisters. We will get an experience head coach, someone who understands offense, to lead our team.

But is their gonna be a competent GM making that announcement or Jed York as Gm making that announcement?

If they want a stadium, they better get a proven winner on board. I don't think they go on the cheap with too much on the line.

Let's be real: Gruden liked Smith a lot and attempted to move up into the draft to get him in 2005. If anybody can stabilize his career, it would be Gruden. And, even if the organization goes a different route, and dumps Smith, they will draft a QB in the first round, and Gruden can begin the process of molding him into an NFL starter.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The change that will fix everything begins in 12 weeks, when Jon Gruden is named head coach.

Hope is around the corner, brothers and sisters. We will get an experience head coach, someone who understands offense, to lead our team.

Don't tease us like that MD! I would like it, but it looks as though the Chargers and Cowboys would make a play for Gruden. Do you think he would rather come to SF?

I see him going to SF before SD and Dallas, with GM's who lord over their teams. Gruden is going to want a lot of say.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
4 Ints because of Tree(seems to have worked itself out)
5 Fumbles because of Gore.
1 Fumble due to Walker.
1 Fumble from Clements.

That's 8 turnovers left 4 of which are DEFINITELY on Smith.

So Smith has 4 definite to his credit.

So changing QB is really going to fix a big part of the problem? Don't make me laugh.

~Ceadder

Beautiful, you should be a lawyer.

Jeez! All I can respond with is WOW! The guy has 9 INTs and 1 fumble, and you think he is only to blame for 4? That is just amazing...

3 INTs' were DEFINITELY Smith's fault. 2 to Gore. And one that was headed to Morgan that got picked cleanly off the carpet.

1 Fumble was DEFINITELY Smith's fault.

Tree caused FOUR of his Interceptions.

That's 8 Turnovers.

The final one being to Ginn who I think should have turned around earlier. I think that if Ginn had indeed turned around when he was supposed to that he should have been able to make a play on the ball. That one to me is 50/50 because I played Receiver and IMHO that's on both of them. Was it underthrown? Possibly. But my job as a Receiver on a Go route is to look back when I near the end of my route. Ginn didn't turn around until it was too late for him to catch the Pass. Smith COULD have gone to Davis but Collinsworth pointed out that Davis was covered too. The INT did set Davis up for a later attempt on the same play though so all was not completely f@cked up by that INT.

Oh and as a former Receiver, I will call em all straight up instead of dropping it all in the QBs' lap.

T.O. used to do that crap to Garcia all the time when he would tip uncatchable Passes up in the air and man it pisses me off when other Receivers do it too. So as a rule I don't play that garbage. Be straight up. Your Receiver goes to the turf because he slipped is that the QBs' fault on timing routes? Nope. How bout when it hits them in the numbers? Nope. Sorry but those are all on Tree. Just like when he overran his route to the Sideline instead of cutting it off at the break. When you are unprepared it shows up in your technique EVERY time.

~Ceadder

Oh Ceadder, are you related to Smith or something? I just don't understand the blind homerism...

All 4 INTs to crabtree were off-target throws. The first off his shoulder(SEA), the second off target (crabtree, smith, and Sing acknowledged Crabtree ran the correct route)(SEA), the third was more of a great defensive play (but still thrown by Smith)(KC), and I am not sure what #4 is... I hope your not removing blame from Smith for the tipped Dline ball

As far as the Ginn INT, please rewatch the highlight. The pass was short, and a bad read at that. Ginn was covered, and the only place the ball should have been thrown is the corner of the end zone, not 5 yards inside the sideline, wayyy short.

If you really can't see this, then it is a difference of you saying toe-mah-toe and me saying toe-may-toe

The one on the shoulder pad was that off target?

Cannot say that 3 of them were definitively off target cause Tree was laying on the grass.

Nor the one where he overran his route.

So technically that would be 5. I blame 4 of them on Tree. If you know the conditions of the field you should not be slipping. Especially if you have interchangeable studs on your feet.

Now if this is an equipment issue and Tree did notify the Equipment Manager, then I can't say with 100% certainty that it was all on Tree. But I definitely cannot put it on the QB because the Pass is supposed to be out of there before the Receiver cuts his route off or completes the exchange. I do think that 1 of the Interceptions was an early hit by the DB. Which is why I don't count 1. I do try to be fair accross the board. Not just where Smith is concerned.

Anyone that Posted in the Harris threads knows that I try to be fair. This is not just a Smith issue where I am concerned. I wish people would stop insinuating that it is. It's not.

~Ceadder

Now he's blaming the equipment manager for Smith's INTs! Ceadder, keep posting, I love it!
Originally posted by Leathaface:
1 Fumble due to Walker.
1 Fumble from Clements.

So changing QB is really going to fix a big part of the problem? Don't make me laugh.

~Ceadder

Jeez! All I can respond with is WOW! The guy has 9 INTs and 1 fumble, and you think he is only to blame for 4? That is just amazing...

3 INTs' were DEFINITELY Smith's fault. 2 to Gore. And one that was headed to Morgan that got picked cleanly off the carpet.

That's 8 Turnovers.

The final one being to Ginn who I think should have turned around earlier. I think that if Ginn had indeed turned around when he was supposed to that he should have been able to make a play on the ball. That one to me is 50/50 because I played Receiver and IMHO that's on both of them. Was it underthrown? Possibly. But my job as a Receiver on a Go route is to look back when I near the end of my route. Ginn didn't turn around until it was too late for him to catch the Pass. Smith COULD have gone to Davis but Collinsworth pointed out that Davis was covered too. The INT did set Davis up for a later attempt on the same play though so all was not completely f@cked up by that INT.

Oh and as a former Receiver, I will call em all straight up instead of dropping it all in the QBs' lap.

T.O. used to do that crap to Garcia all the time when he would tip uncatchable Passes up in the air and man it pisses me off when other Receivers do it too. So as a rule I don't play that garbage. Be straight up. Your Receiver goes to the turf because he slipped is that the QBs' fault on timing routes? Nope. How bout when it hits them in the numbers? Nope. Sorry but those are all on Tree. Just like when he overran his route to the Sideline instead of cutting it off at the break. When you are unprepared it shows up in your technique EVERY time.

~Ceadder

Oh Ceadder, are you related to Smith or something? I just don't understand the blind homerism...

All 4 INTs to crabtree were off-target throws. The first off his shoulder(SEA), the second off target (crabtree, smith, and Sing acknowledged Crabtree ran the correct route)(SEA), the third was more of a great defensive play (but still thrown by Smith)(KC), and I am not sure what #4 is... I hope your not removing blame from Smith for the tipped Dline ball

As far as the Ginn INT, please rewatch the highlight. The pass was short, and a bad read at that. Ginn was covered, and the only place the ball should have been thrown is the corner of the end zone, not 5 yards inside the sideline, wayyy short.

If you really can't see this, then it is a difference of you saying toe-mah-toe and me saying toe-may-toe

Cannot say that 3 of them were definitively off target cause Tree was laying on the grass.

So technically that would be 5. I blame 4 of them on Tree. If you know the conditions of the field you should not be slipping. Especially if you have interchangeable studs on your feet.

Now if this is an equipment issue and Tree did notify the Equipment Manager, then I can't say with 100% certainty that it was all on Tree. But I definitely cannot put it on the QB because the Pass is supposed to be out of there before the Receiver cuts his route off or completes the exchange. I do think that 1 of the Interceptions was an early hit by the DB. Which is why I don't count 1. I do try to be fair accross the board. Not just where Smith is concerned.

Anyone that Posted in the Harris threads knows that I try to be fair. This is not just a Smith issue where I am concerned. I wish people would stop insinuating that it is. It's not.

~Ceadder

Now he's blaming the equipment manager for Smith's INTs! Ceadder, keep posting, I love it!

LOL... Who needs to watch Sitcoms...

BTW Ceadder... I think the Towel Boy was some how involved too...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
1 Fumble due to Walker.
1 Fumble from Clements.

~Ceadder

That's 8 Turnovers.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

I said I don't blame Smith for those INTs'. He still is credited with them. So please do me a favor, go take a walk off a short pier.

You're making fun at my expense cause you wanna be a Tool about Smith having 9 INTs' and you blame the guy for making throws that got Intercepted.

Your point is that he should have known that his Idiot WR1 was going to the turf, didn't know his assignment and can't catch a simple comebacker.

If that's what motivates you then fine so be it they are on Smith. But I don't think he should be cut because of that kind of stupidity.

I'm done with the fools that think like this. I was never making the argument that those need to go to the guy that caused the Int. Sheer foolishness.

And just another tact of people who feel Smith is completely to blame for our problems. When the argument makes sense convolute the argument by making fun of the people who make the argument.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
It won't fix everything; but, it would be one hell of a start.

I'm not saying that David Carr is the second coming. But we should give the guy a chance. Bottom line is that Alex Smith is not the answer.

Are you guys serious? DAVID CARR! You want David Carr? If the back-up was anybody other than the "original Alex Smith" than I say bring it on. That's who Carr is.

Doesn't any remember this guy? I still can't understand the wisdom here. It's DAVID CARR.
You guys have lost your minds

His career stats are better than Smith's. While I don't completely disagree with argument, I still don't understand the complete distrust of Carr as a QB, besides his very awkward throwing motion.

Carr got his ass kicked in Houston, then played a decent back-up role in NY. Now, he's back in NorCal, his batteries recharged and has a chance to make a comeback. I say put him in and see what he can do...will he be better or worst than Alex? we'll never know until he plays.

Some QBs in the past have resurrected their careers after putting on another uniform...So why not Carr?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Crabtree wasn't the only player slipping all over the place. So was Davis, Morgan, Ginn, Gore.

It's definitely an equipment issue.

And in the NFL, little details like this matter....and successful coaches in the NFL have these types of issues taken care of.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Smith is on pace for 30 ints.

Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Lets rephrase.

If Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers was our starting QB, would we be 0-5 ?

/endthread

See what i mean ZRF, just like a child that u tell not to play with a toy, u still do it. Nah man up and dont come back with if blah blah blah.

LIke i said in the beginning regardless of who is at QB, is that what will make the entire team better. Please adress the issue asked or dont post.

And like i said to one of your buddies on here, there are few that live by if the QB is different EVERYTHING ELSE IMPROVES. And to be real, u were one of the 5 that I said i could mention to Shaj, that every post usually starts or end with something in changing the QB.

and by the way, dont just pick the guys u like. Dont forget we have Mcnabb, Romo, Favre, etc, and a few others that are 1-3, with Studs at RB, WR, and QB positions, so your point is invalid.

once again, question is, IF you make a change at QB. Everything else on the team will get better which will lead to more wins.

Most of his posts are utter nonsense, he is more hung up on Smith than the worst homer on this site.
how is replacing a draft bust with another draft bust fixing everything
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
McNabb sounds nice right now

Ya, cause' he's been lighting it up.
we to start fresh at the QB position...!
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
we to start fresh at the QB position...!

Yeah but not during the season. We don't have an upgrade on the roster. If there is anyone I would want to see play its Nate Davis and Singletarys dumb ass has him on the PS.
Share 49ersWebzone