LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Change at QB WILL FIX EVERYTHING?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Change at QB WILL FIX EVERYTHING?

Originally posted by D_Niner:
It won't fix everything; but, it would be one hell of a start.

I'm not saying that David Carr is the second coming. But we should give the guy a chance. Bottom line is that Alex Smith is not the answer.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
When Alex caught fire near the end of the game, did you people see how the team responded ? All of a sudden, the momentum shifted to the Niners. The D stepped up, STs came through, and the oline became more effective.

This was the SAME Niners roster that had gone 0-4, and all of a sudden they looked like an unstoppable force.

The QB can do a lot to swing MOMENTUM to the team's side. Consider the game opener vs. Seattle. The Niners had put up almost 150 yards of offense in the first quarter. The Seahawks were reeling, and the announcers couldnt stop gushing at how good the Niners looked. All of a sudden, QB starts making mistakes.....momentum switches to Seattle....defense cant hold, and we get crushed.

The same was true in KC, where our D held the Chiefs in check in the opening quarter. We couldnt capitalize, and what do you know....the Chiefs crush us.

All of these "problems" can be attributed to Alex Smith. Whne he plays well, the team looks unstoppable, do you disagree ? Yet, when he struggles...everything falls apart.

qft
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Alex missing FG's, Alex getting burnt on double moves, Alex getting burnt on screens, Alex fumbling, Alex's false starts, Alex's holding penalties, Alex fumbled punt returns

I think another QB would fix those problems too

some posters see it they way i edited your post.

LOL
Originally posted by NinerGold39:

I'm not saying that David Carr is the second coming. But we should give the guy a chance. Bottom line is that Alex Smith is not the answer.

Are you guys serious? DAVID CARR! You want David Carr? If the back-up was anybody other than the "original Alex Smith" than I say bring it on. That's who Carr is.

Doesn't any remember this guy? I still can't understand the wisdom here. It's DAVID CARR.
You guys have lost your minds
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Nope not gonna change a thing, you gotta ride the guy that was here the whole time under Raye and Johnson and that is Smith. If Johnson is telling the truth and it using Raye's playbook than Johnson/Smith/WR/TE/RB should be on the same page for the most part (not saying much)

Like it or not Smith has the most chemistry with the offense (again not saying much) and I believe that is why players like Morgan, VD and Gore are backing him up. I think based on there actions and responses that they believe that it would be a step back with Carr.

So unfortunately, nothing is going to change anytime soon, just gotta stick it out with Smith and Sing til the end or until Jeb and Co decided to completely dismantle the whole team and start over mid-season.
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Are you guys serious? DAVID CARR! You want David Carr? If the back-up was anybody other than the "original Alex Smith" than I say bring it on. That's who Carr is.

Doesn't any remember this guy? I still can't understand the wisdom here. It's DAVID CARR.

See what i mean AK, thats why the post without naming a QB. Some said Brees, Manning, etc. But some also say N. DAvis, or Carr. So u see thats why i said u pick who u want the QB to be and if u say yes, then ur saying that whichever QB you choose will turn the rest of the lights on for the players in every facet of the game, and we will start winning games.

So with the reality of it, he named Carr, so in his mind, starting Carr, may be that final piece that puts a W on the board. And stop making fun of him, lol. At least he didnt coward out like some here, and try to beat around the bush, cuz they dont want anyone to know their answer.

I agree 100%

Statistically speaking, Carr has had a better NFL career. I'd like to see what he could do with our weapons...
Originally posted by AKfanster:

His career stats are better than Smith's. While I don't completely disagree with argument, I still don't understand the complete distrust of Carr as a QB, besides his very awkward throwing motion.

[ Edited by SJniner7 on Oct 14, 2010 at 13:23:40 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Of course it wont fix everything, heck it probably wont fix anything with the options they have right now. This problem should have addressed in the off season but nope they chose to ignore it and thought everything would be okay with continuity.
Originally posted by susweel:
Of course it wont fix everything, heck it probably wont fix anything with the options they have right now. This problem should have addressed in the off season but nope they chose to ignore it and thought everything would be okay with continuity.

For the first time in 6 years there was continuity. Why would they not go with it? Alex played decent enough to finish last season to take one last look.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by susweel:

For the first time in 6 years there was continuity. Why would they not go with it? Alex played decent enough to finish last season to take one last look.

Alex was not the answer he never showed it. I was screaming for them to sign McNabb, or trade for Vick and draft another QB. Right now this team is stuck without a back up plan.

Never put all your eggs in one basket, especially if its a very poorly made basket.
McNabb sounds nice right now
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

YOu know what D, sometimes we see eye to eye, and sumtimes not. I appreciate an actual answer.

And like i said my point is because there are a lot of posters that say a change at QB WILL make everything else work, so thats my question.

Would a change to Manning help probably. But then that doesnt improve pass rush, pass protection, missed FG, RB fumbles, bad O-line, and rushing. There are probably tons else.

But im saying step in the right direction we dont need now, we need to win. STepping in the right direction is where we supposedly have been since 2002 or so. I want wins, and dont care who they cut or bring in. I just want a win.

So like i said thanks for actually answering. At least u didnt come with the nonsense of i dont understand the question. That kills me, with grown ass men and women. The issue is with some, you just dont like the question, cuz it doesnt suit your fancy, and Not you D, cuz u answered. Smith didnt like to be booed but it happened, so u dont like the question, u have a choice; answer and no comment, dont answer, or just make answer and comment. But stop with the i dont understand.

I do think it will improve, somewhat, the tackling and definitely the rushing. Hear me out... The pass sets up the run and the run sets up the pass; but, our line doesn't allow for consistency right now. This is mainly due to Sing's Run first mentality and not having a QB who can trow receivers open. If we started a QB who was better at throwing a receiver open then our run blocking would improve due the less players to block (no more 9 in the box).

As for the tackling and overall D... If we commit less turnovers (O) in our own redzone or just in general, then the D is allowed to catch their breath a bit more on the sideline. Were also designed more as a attacking D. Unfortunately, when we're playing from behind, we cannot afford to take the kind of risks that showcase what our D can do. Since our QB has committed the most turnovers on the team, our D should show improvement with a change...
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Jeez! All I can respond with is WOW! The guy has 9 INTs and 1 fumble, and you think he is only to blame for 4? That is just amazing...

My receivers coach in high school had this saying: "If you can get your hands on the ball, it should be a catch"

At least 4 of those INTs were touched/tipped/dropped by his own guys into the hands of an opposing player. My opinion...they weren't his fault. Even if the pass was a little off, the receiver needed to adjust to the pass, and in the case that they couldn't secure it, they needed to make sure the defense didn't have a chance to nab it. Fail on both counts by those receivers.

I agree with you on this one. The key word being "hands" as in plural, meaning both. The tipped passes were so off the mark that only one hand was on the ball, therefore by your own coach's statement, the interceptions are Alex's fault.

LB

LMAO. I don't think so. We were actually coached on trying to catch passes which weren't totally on the numbers (and in high school, with our QB, most weren't).

Coach didn't draw a distinction between one hand or two, he meant either (single hand) or both.

We were taught to haul in fingertip grabs with a dominant hand first. We were taught to lean back and reach for passes which were thrown behind, and leap/lunge into passes thrown ahead. You always used one hand as a guide on hard to reach balls. Why? Because your reach is greater with one arm out than two at once.

In the case where it was clear that the pass was not catchable....we were taught to bat the pass down, else, worst case, you had the defend the pass against the DB and prevent the catch.

I was making the point that the ints the alex supporters keep blaming on the receivers were in most cases not catchable. As a matter of fact some were so far over the heads of the intended receiver he couldn't even knock it down (as you were taught). Somehow though, it was still his fault it was intercepted.

LB
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
4 Ints because of Tree(seems to have worked itself out)
5 Fumbles because of Gore.
1 Fumble due to Walker.
1 Fumble from Clements.

That's 8 turnovers left 4 of which are DEFINITELY on Smith.

So Smith has 4 definite to his credit.

So changing QB is really going to fix a big part of the problem? Don't make me laugh.

~Ceadder

Alex definitely has 9 to his credit this year. I don't care about all the if's or but's. He threw it, so he gets credit for it. This is just like all the TD's he gets credit for when the ball was thrown short of the endzone and the receiver made a play. You don't get to have the good without the bad!

I swear, next thing were going to hear from you is that Alex would have a 100% completion percentage if we only count the balls that were caught...

LB
Share 49ersWebzone