There are 243 users in the forums

If Singletary is gone after this season, are we giving up on him too fast?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Zoz, my friend, next yr? Surely you jest. Next game? A lot more likely. IF there were a bright spot in his coaching ability, i would agree. Bad news...there isn't . ONE AND DONE. ONE and DONE.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
He'd have around 2.5 years by the end of this season. I think that's enough time to prove yourself. That, and we already know he is COMPLETELY reliant on his coordinators. Take that along with his faults, and I don't see any gem.

If he is COMPLETELY relying on his coordinators, he should AT LEAST be getting clock management and team discipline down.....which he is far from doing.
Singletary was interviewed before that Eagles game, and was asked "Mike, what makes you a better coach?" Mike: "I surround myself with people smarter than me"
Not what I wanted to hear.
I think Singletary is already out the door. You can see how the assistant coaches are taking over the talk shows and coaching decisions. Singletary's comments are so full of it like the hiring of coaches smarter then he is, is another Singletary flim flam. If he was truly humble and wise he would both hire much smarter coaches and also listen to them, but he listens to a super dummy, himself. What good does having smart coaches do if you listen to a fool?
Originally posted by susweel:
He's no gem, he's just an inspirational speaker. Probably would make a good college head coach because he could go into a kids house recruit like a mofo.

So true. He might improve, but is everyone willing to wait a decade while he does it. And even if he does improve like Cowher did there is still no guarantee he will become good enough. It took a strong offensive coordinator under Cowher, Whisenhut, for him to finally win it all.
Originally posted by susweel:
He's no gem, he's just an inspirational speaker. Probably would make a good college head coach because he could go into a kids house recruit like a mofo.

Double post

[ Edited by sdninerfan on Oct 16, 2010 at 08:32:34 ]
I pray he is gone, pun intended.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
singletary is his own worst enemy and it doesn't look like he'll see that anytime soon.

yup. He especially pissed me off when he said "I talked to Johnson during the week and spoke to him about the importance of running the ball."

like motherf**ker?!? Why the f**k did we fire Raye then if its gonna be the same s**t you stupid stupid man.

I don't see any hope for the guy. Not in SF.
Singletary went into the OTAs with the intention of installing the same offense that had to be abandoned or at least radically altered in 09. He made his mind up on Smith yet put him back in an offense that didn't suit his strengths. Maybe Smith isn't the guy and thus Singletary made a mistake. But if you decide to go with him you have to have him in the O that suits his strengths. Plenty of evidence was there from the 09 season that was going to have to be some sort of spread offense. That is also the offense that best suits the rising playmakers on the team. But the Niners went in this season as if the season before never happened.

There is plenty of blame to go around from management to the players. But Singletary is the head coach. I have serious reservations about his judgements in that capacity. How long should he be given? Not many coaches who haven't really proven themselves in the past would survive a start like the Niners have had. Maybe they turn it around but as usual it is probably already too late. The time has come (actually is long overdue) for the Niners to get a competent offensive-minded head coach.

[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 16, 2010 at 08:51:25 ]
I think the smoke has cleared and we are seeing his true colors.I love his passion for the game however, I wasn't for the signing in the beginning. I didn't think a smash mouth football team in SF could ever succeed even with Gore. I also believe he does not have the intelligence to be a head coach...It is as simple as that. He is not a game manager, nor can he teach the offense anything. I said it before and I will keep saying it...He wants to bring the Ditka philosophy to the niners. That's fine but he aint no Ditka!!!PS I hate Ditka anyways and I hate the f**king BEARS!!!

One last thing...his press confrences suckkkkk dude please come up with somthing else than coolaid,medicine and dug gum. The niners made a huge mistake with this HC.

-Niners for life

[ Edited by 49ermark on Oct 16, 2010 at 08:52:51 ]

With the current state of this team . . . no, we wouldn't be giving up on him too fast. Remember he was the assistant head coach of this team for 3-1/2 years before he became head coach. He's had his hand in this experiment for quite a while.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Singletary is done at the end of the season, I think the highest coaching position he will ever get to again in the NFL would be Assistant HC/LB coach like he was here. Just not cut out to be a HC.
I don't want to wait 13 years for Sing to get better.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I don't want to wait 13 years for Sing to get better.

This
Singletary will be back next season I just have the feeling that ownership really likes him and really holding on to the rock has been our problem which is the players fault. Without so many turnovers we would of won each and every game and I think starting this week things are gonna change.
Share 49ersWebzone