There are 285 users in the forums

Ann Killion: Niners need to cut losses, get rid of Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
While my money is on A. Smith leaving the Niners and moving on to be a career backup, I fail to see how cutting him now would be "better". We have no real options behind him. Hell, I bet only T. Smith MIGHT be back next years as a 3rd stringer. Most likely we will acquire a rookie and a reliable vet (how reliable, it remains to be seen).

So, Smith gives the best chance to win NOW and there's no one worth developing behind him. Why cut him? The only reason I can think of is so we can get that #1 overall pick and get Locker/Luck.

there's no benefit now, unless he has trade value, which we know he doesn't. He's worth a 7th round pick in a trade, so it's better just to keep him and release him at the end of the year. He gives us the best chance to win at this very moment. Which isn't saying much.
Smith might surprise a lot of 'zoners come free agent time. There are a LOT of mediocre QBs in this league.

Here is my list of teams for which he would compete to start now:
Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Next season he would replace the current QB or back-up with an early chance to start at:
Washington
Minnesota

Also Jacksonville might also be interested as David Garrard has been very inconsistent.

That makes a total of 10 teams that would be interested in Smith if he elects to leave, which I expect he will.

we are in full out mental masturbation mode. Let's see if anyone picks him up as a starter in 2011. I'll be amazed if he's picked up as anything better than a backup.

p.s.: it's highly unlikely that Smith will "elect to leave". It's far more likely that his ass is kicked out the door within the first week of our new coach's tenure.

[ Edited by Shaj on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:53:21 ]
While my money is on A. Smith leaving the Niners and moving on to be a career backup, I fail to see how cutting him now would be "better". We have no real options behind him. Hell, I bet only T. Smith MIGHT be back next years as a 3rd stringer. Most likely we will acquire a rookie and a reliable vet (how reliable, it remains to be seen).

So, Smith gives the best chance to win NOW and there's no one worth developing behind him. Why cut him? The only reason I can think of is so we can get that #1 overall pick and get Locker/Luck.

there's no benefit now, unless he has trade value, which we know he doesn't. He's worth a 7th round pick in a trade, so it's better just to keep him and release him at the end of the year. He gives us the best chance to win at this very moment. Which isn't saying much.
Smith might surprise a lot of 'zoners come free agent time. There are a LOT of mediocre QBs in this league.

Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Next season he would replace the current QB or back-up with an early chance to start at:
Washington
Minnesota

Also Jacksonville might also be interested as David Garrard has been very inconsistent.

That makes a total of 10 teams that would be interested in Smith if he elects to leave, which I expect he will.

Is the trade deadline up already?
  • dj43
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:

Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Washington
Minnesota

see my edit above
  • dj43

Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Washington
Minnesota

we are in full out mental masturbation mode. Let's see if anyone picks him up as a starter in 2011. I'll be amazed if he's picked up as anything better than a backup.
Your filter is on a little tight.

I fully expect that the combination of Johnson calling plays, with Singletary being forced by public opinion and need, to open up the playbook and throw it around more, plus the continued development of Crabtree, that Smith will move into the upper 80/low 90 range in rating by the end of the season. When that happens, he would fall into the pattern I noted above.

Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Washington
Minnesota

see my edit above

So you wouldn't take a 7th round pick?
The late Tony Razzano was the head of the 49ers scouting department and deserves as much -- if not, more -- historical accolades as Bill Walsh for the franchise's drafts that largely stocked the roster with players that won five Super Bowls.

His son, Dave, 50, spent his first season out of the game last year after more than two decades when the Arizona Cardinals let him go as a regional scout following the franchise's first Super Bowl.

Dave Razzano, who worked for the 49ers from 1988 to '92, has been with five teams that went to Super Bowls. Two of those Super Bowl teams had Joe Montana. Kurt Warner was the quarterback of the other three. Razzano has some strong opinions about the 49ers' current quarterback position.

He got fired after more than a decade as a Rams scout four years ago in large part because of his defense of a critical pre-draft evaluation of quarterback Alex Smith, Razzano told Comcast SportsNet.

"I had him rated as a non-starting player," Razzano said of Smith, whom the 49ers selected with the top overall pick in the 2005 draft.

Even as Smith enters his sixth professional season, 49ers followers are divided on Smith's ability to be a successful NFL quarterback. Smith has said he realizes he will not be able to win over all of his naysayers. And when it comes to those critics, Razzano is at the front of the line.

"I thought he was way over-drafted and way overrated," Razzano said. "I don't think I've been proven wrong. The guy hasn't done it, and he'll get another opportunity. He's getting a little better with the touchdown throws to Vernon Davis. But, boy, the guy I saw at Utah, I was shocked people had him rated that high."

Razzano said then-Rams general manager Charlie Armey asked him to change his grade on Smith to conform with the higher grades others in the Rams' draft room had assigned Smith. The scene escalated into an ugly shouting match. Razzano said he refused to alter his evaluation of Smith. It was the beginning of the end with the Rams for Razzano, he said. He was fired after the 2006 draft (Armey did not immediately respond to CSNBayArea.com's call.)

Razzano quickly landed with the Cardinals. Shortly after the Cardinals' appearance in the Super Bowl, Razzano's contract was not renewed after cuts to the team's scouting department, he said.

Having worked in the scouting departments for three NFC West franchises, Razzano pays close attention to the happenings within the division. He lives in Sacramento and remains intrigued by the 49ers' quarterback situation. He said he is a firm believer the 49ers are starting the wrong quarterback.

Read more: Maiocco: Ex-NFL Scout Believes 49ers are Starting Wrong QB
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

http://www.csnbayarea.com/07/02/10/Ex-NFL-Scout-49ers-are-Starting-Wrong-QB/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=265052&feedID=5936

• dj43

Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Washington
Minnesota

see my edit above

So you wouldn't take a 7th round pick?
I would take whatever anyone would give me and be very grateful, not because Smith isn't worth a 7th, but because the other team could have him for free.

The only way I could ever envision getting anything for Smith would be if he were benched for Carr, who played well and then another team, like Cleveland, became desperate for a QB this year. Under those conditions, I could see a team giving us something but I don't see that happening.

I am still hopeful that Smith, given better game plans, a more aggressive attitude, development of Crabtree and the OL, will play well enough so that they are not forced to use the #1 pick on a QB next year. If that happens, it will set this franchise back two more years before it will be a playoff competitor. Rookie QBs don't lead playoff teams and this team needs a pass rusher and speed just about everyplace. To move all of those priorities down a notch means other critical needs are unmet.
We need to cut our losses and stop reading Ann Killion.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by susweel:
I have been saying this for a long time now, glad to see the national media has finally caught up to my greatness.

We all look up to you Sus.

LB

this might sound bad, but i don't know any other way to put it.

I just can't take any chick seriously when they try to talk about sports.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by rlott42:

Why cant a chick watch the same games as you do and form an opinion on something. You dont need a penis to have sports knowledge.

Mutual.

Cleveland
Arizona
Oakland
Carolina
Seattle
Baltimore
KC

Washington
Minnesota

p.s.: it's highly unlikely that Smith will "elect to leave". It's far more likely that his ass is kicked out the door within the first week of our new coach's tenure.

Shocks me that you had to edit your post to get your little dig in. You're usually right on top of anything anybody has to say about Smith that isn't negative.
Originally posted by ElinNordegren:

Mutual.

Ann Killion's a chick?
Originally posted by ElinNordegren:

Mutual.

You two asshats know it's 2010 right?
Share 49ersWebzone