LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Ann Killion: Niners need to cut losses, get rid of Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
Like I said before, I think Smith will go on somewhere else and eventually be pretty succesful. I just don't think it'll happen here.

If that's the case, why let him go an succeed elsewhere? We've invested enough in him. Letting him go to go do well elsewhere just adds insult to injury.

I'm just very resistant to the idea of cutting our losses with him, when we've already come this far with him. Particularly when I see plenty of good things from him as well.

And I'm a Draft Rodgers guy too....I never wanted Smith originally. But for the price that this organization paid to get him, and stick with him....it is in our best interests to help him succeed.

Kray, you and I will have to respectfully agree to disagree on Alex. I understand your point about having too much invested in him but at what point do you say enough is enough? Sure the team has other issues but it seems pretty clear to me and a lot of others on this board that Alex is the main person holding the team back. Now if he played well over the past couple of years and is just having a crappy start to this year I would not be calling for his head. That's not the case however. Other than a few spurts of greatness here and there he has pretty much played the same this year as he has every other year IMHO. (Insert excuses here)

He's not just inconsistent, he's extremely inconsistent. As much as I like Alex the person I have no faith in him leading this team to anything but mediocrity. I ask myself what it would take for me to get on the Alex band wagon. The answer is probably 2-3 years of consistent and decent play. I just don't see that happening. So I ask you, when will it be enough for you to admit he's not the QB for this team? Are you familiar with the phrase "throwing good money after bad"?

LB

[ Edited by leebert81 on Oct 14, 2010 at 05:10:02 ]
  • ZRF80
Now that I think about it, I kind of support all the booing at the Stick. When I heard it Sunday night on television, I felt bad for Smith. I knew he was trying his best, but he just didnt have ability to execute.

But now.......I think it's a good thing cause it's a slap to the face of anyone that still supports Smith. The guy set this franchise back 6 years, and people are still clinging on to the belief that he will miraculously turn it around and make us the next dynasty. Yeah, you people do deserve a slap in the face. I think the booing pretty much does it.

Cant wait to see Alex Smith screw it up against the Raiders......
oops, double post. Sorry.

[ Edited by leebert81 on Oct 14, 2010 at 05:08:40 ]
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Yeah, you people do deserve a slap in the face. I think the booing pretty much does it.

Sorry, but it didn't, he still performed great out of the shotgun with 3 WR sets like he usually does, and like most "supporters" have urged the coaching staff to implement. Not to mention, he pretty much got all the boos to stfu rather quickly with his play. Maybe vs. the Raiders he'll meltdown and you can have your "slap in the face" moment, we'll see.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Simple, we get the #1 pick in the draft and take a QB and get a real NFL coach. Would go a LONG way to get us to winning consistently
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Yeah, you people do deserve a slap in the face. I think the booing pretty much does it.

Sorry, but it didn't, he still performed great out of the shotgun with 3 WR sets like he usually does, and like most "supporters" have urged the coaching staff to implement. Not to mention, he pretty much got all the boos to stfu rather quickly with his play. Maybe vs. the Raiders he'll meltdown and you can have your "slap in the face" moment, we'll see.

Odds are I win this argument. One bad pass, and the boos will parade on him. Like I said, I feel bad for him. But at least it makes you supporters look foolish for cheering him on.

Odds are I win this argument. One bad pass, and the boos will parade on him. Like I said, I feel bad for him. But at least it makes you supporters look foolish for cheering him on.

lol, what makes you think it makes "supporters" look foolish? For hoping our QB does well? What a joke. 9er fans are known as some of the dumbest fans on the planet, why on Earth would supporters care what those dummies in the stands think or do?
I'll take football advise from a chick when she's just repeating something a smart guy told her.
  • ZRF80

lol, what makes you think it makes "supporters" look foolish? For hoping our QB does well? What a joke. 9er fans are known as some of the dumbest fans on the planet, why on Earth would supporters care what those dummies in the stands think or do?

For being in denial that a 6 year vet that hasnt accomplished anything is most likely a BUST. It would have been nice to see Smith just slwoly fade away, but now you guys can watch the guy go up in flames and feel dumb about it.

Of course, Im sure 50 years from now, you'll still be defending him as the 3rd best Niner QB of all time after Montana and Young.
Now that I think about it, I kind of support all the booing at the Stick. When I heard it Sunday night on television, I felt bad for Smith. I knew he was trying his best, but he just didnt have ability to execute.

But now.......I think it's a good thing cause it's a slap to the face of anyone that still supports Smith. The guy set this franchise back 6 years, and people are still clinging on to the belief that he will miraculously turn it around and make us the next dynasty. Yeah, you people do deserve a slap in the face. I think the booing pretty much does it.

Cant wait to see Alex Smith screw it up against the Raiders......

Spoken like a true fan. Can't wait to see your team lose.

No disrespect, but it's Ann killon. She puts out an article once every 5 months.

Nutin to really take seriously IMHO.

Unless it's, Branch, or both Matts, I look at her like the bleacher report articles.

For being in denial that a 6 year vet that hasnt accomplished anything is most likely a BUST. It would have been nice to see Smith just slwoly fade away, but now you guys can watch the guy go up in flames and feel dumb about it.

LOL, sorry no one is going to feel dumb about it because you want people to feel dumb about it. That's not how things work in life bro. If your wish for "supporters" to feel dumb about a player is overriding your wish for the QB of your team to do well, I don't even know if you're a fan. At that point, you are just ignorable excrement on a message board.
  • ZRF80

LOL, sorry no one is going to feel dumb about it because you want people to feel dumb about it. That's not how things work in life bro. If your wish for "supporters" to feel dumb about a player is overriding your wish for the QB of your team to do well, I don't even know if you're a fan. At that point, you are just ignorable excrement on a message board.

No one wishes for their team to lose. Then again, no one wishes for their team to miss the playoffs for 9 straight seasons. Unlike you, Im not satisfied with another 8-8 season. And considering that Alex is not capable of leading us to any more wins that that, Im willing to sacrifice wins in the short term, in order for the team to excel in the long term. You, on the other hand, wouldnt mind another few seasons of 6-10 or 8-8, as long as Smith gets his "proper chance" to become the next Montana.

Good luck with that...

You, on the other hand, wouldnt mind another few seasons of 6-10 or 8-8, as long as Smith gets his "proper chance" to become the next Montana.

Good luck with that...

Nice gross generalization there buddy. You really think we're going to be happy with that? You sound like you're in your own world.
if we get rid of him it should be after the season. it would be pointless to do it now
Share 49ersWebzone