There are 175 users in the forums

The problem with our offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bayerrya:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Alex is part of the problem. The O-line has two rookies on it. Did you expect them to be perfect and make no mistakes? We have a QB whose been here for six years and he still makes a lot of mistakes.

No one said be perfect. But the line is consistently letting free guys through to hit Frank and Alex. That shouldnt happen but once, twice per game but it happens once or twice a drive. At minimum. With basic line stunts.

And ill be the first to tell you Alex is part of the problem. But he isnt THE problem.

Of course Alex Smith isn't THEE problem, but he sure does contribute a lot to why we lose. I'd rather just move on with a new QB and possibly new HC.
Smart post. Don't get a lot of those around here. I've talked to other teams' fans about Alex, and I think just about all of them think he can at least be a solid QB in a shotgun style Offense. I think he'll go to Washington after this year and learn under Shanahan, I can also see him going to Arizona under Whisenhunt...people that know what offensive football is about in the modern era. It's really sad what Dingle has done to our team, trying to turn it into the '85 Bears.

Part of the blame has to lie on Alex though. He had this whole offseason to make them change their outdated philosophy, it should've been molded around his strengths. But Alex is too nice of a guy, he obviously loves Gore like the coaches do, and he keeps towing the company line. Alex needed to be a man about this thing from the first week of OTAs. Anyone with half a brain that watched the team in '09 could see that the entire Offense is better in a spread, unfortunately Sing has only 1/4th a brain.
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Alex is part of the problem. The O-line has two rookies on it. Did you expect them to be perfect and make no mistakes? We have a QB whose been here for six years and he still makes a lot of mistakes.

No one said be perfect. But the line is consistently letting free guys through to hit Frank and Alex. That shouldnt happen but once, twice per game but it happens once or twice a drive. At minimum. With basic line stunts.

And ill be the first to tell you Alex is part of the problem. But he isnt THE problem.

Of course Alex Smith isn't THEE problem, but he sure does contribute a lot to why we lose. I'd rather just move on with a new QB and possibly new HC.

POSSIBLY a new HC? Did you read any of his post? Our entire philosophy and strategy is JACKED UP. We are doing the exact opposite of what we should be doing, it's clear as day.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

POSSIBLY a new HC? Did you read any of his post? Our entire philosophy and strategy is JACKED UP. We are doing the exact opposite of what we should be doing, it's clear as day.

Yes it basically analyzes our O-line and play-calling/offensive philosophy and continues to say Alex Smith isn't the problem.

I've read these types of post' since he was drafted....seriously time to move on.

Smith is always an All-Star in TC till we get to the regular season, then after that its everyone's fault.
You lost me at "The problem with this team is not Alex Smith".

LB

Yes it basically analyzes our O-line and play-calling/offensive philosophy and continues to say Alex Smith isn't the problem.

I've read these types of post' since he was drafted....seriously time to move on.

Smith is always an All-Star in TC till we get to the regular season, then after that its everyone's fault.

Eh it's both Alex and Sing. I don't think Alex will ever be great, but I do think he'll go to a team like MN after Favre retires and do decent under a good offensive HC and throwing to weapons like Moss/Harvin/Rice. He's better than their alternative like Tarvaris Jackson. But he doesn't have the consistent competitive fire to carry a team. He only turns it on when he's so pressured and it's too late for us to do anything. It's more like a pilot light. Sing just kills us f**king around with the offense, he needs to do what Steve Young said and GTFO. Heck, even if we were to pull some miraculous comeback, he needs to leave. He has no idea about x's and o's and he doesn't know how to gameplan or be organized and he doesn't know how to spot talent.

Bottom line, and I've been saying it since our season started unraveling. We NEED a return to the WCO, and we need an offensive HC like a JOhn Gruden. With the WCO and an offensive HC, it won't matter who the coordinator is because there will always be continuity with the language in the system and if worse comes to worse the HC can call the plays. Then the QB doesn't have to worry about any of the stuff that ruined Smith or plagued Hill such as different systems, vanilla play calling, no shots down the field at times, fear of turning the ball over, recievers running wrong routes, etc. We need a HC that can mentor a QB and manufacture wins.

Look at what Gruden did in TB, even when that team got old and started falling apart he got them to the playoffs by plugging in guys like Jeff Garcia at 38 years old and Antonio Bryant or Michael Clayton. He didn't half any of the weapons we do except some decent RBs and they still scored points without turning the ball over, they still marched the ball down the field, they still got yards on the ground, and they still made it to the playoffs multiple times. Mooch did similar things when he was here. And the coach needs to be an experienced head coach with credibility also.
But Alex is good enough to win in this league. But not by himself. No one but #18 is.[/

I agree with everything but this. #18 has had probably the best (and have been together forever) Oline in the history of football.

[ Edited by tondiman on Oct 13, 2010 at 03:09:05 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Eh it's both Alex and Sing. I don't think Alex will ever be great, but I do think he'll go to a team like MN after Favre retires and do decent under a good offensive HC and throwing to weapons like Moss/Harvin/Rice. He's better than their alternative like Tarvaris Jackson. But he doesn't have the consistent competitive fire to carry a team. He only turns it on when he's so pressured and it's too late for us to do anything. It's more like a pilot light. Sing just kills us f**king around with the offense, he needs to do what Steve Young said and GTFO. Heck, even if we were to pull some miraculous comeback, he needs to leave. He has no idea about x's and o's and he doesn't know how to gameplan or be organized and he doesn't know how to spot talent.

You say Alex only turns it on when it's too late for us to do anything, but I'm sure that you also see that our philosophy totally changes as well. We suddenly become a pass-first, shotgun style Offfense, and we put a minimum of 3 WR on the field at all times. Additionally, the Offense is uptempo and Alex is literally in control of everything (he's often called his own plays).

I also don't think Alex will ever be great, he messes up at critical times too much, but I do think he can be good. I also think that more than anything, Sing has held back Alex along with the rest of the Offense more than anyone; he's the biggest failure I've ever seen as a HC. He forced the team to install the Offense of an OC he had to have fired after three weeks. His bell-cow approach to Frank Gore has been abysmal, and not only is it killing the Offense, it's killing Gore. Sing is the antichrist right now, the only way this team succeeds is if it does the exact OPPOSITE of what he envisions this team to be.

There's still a chance the team can go into the bye at 3-5, and the two games after the bye are easy as pie. If Sing stays out of the Offense and does away with the repetitive Gore runs up the gut, this team still has a chance. They need to put the ball in the hands of Alex, he's really our only hope against the antichrist.

You say Alex only turns it on when it's too late for us to do anything, but I'm sure that you also see that our philosophy totally changes as well. We suddenly become a pass-first, shotgun style Offfense, and we put a minimum of 3 WR on the field at all times. Additionally, the Offense is uptempo and Alex is literally in control of everything (he's often called his own plays).

I also don't think Alex will ever be great, he messes up at critical times too much, but I do think he can be good. I also think that more than anything, Sing has held back Alex along with the rest of the Offense more than anyone; he's the biggest failure I've ever seen as a HC. He forced the team to install the Offense of an OC he had to have fired after three weeks. His bell-cow approach to Frank Gore has been abysmal, and not only is it killing the Offense, it's killing Gore. Sing is the antichrist right now, the only way this team succeeds is if it does the exact OPPOSITE of what he envisions this team to be.

There's still a chance the team can go into the bye at 3-5, and the two games after the bye are easy as pie. If Sing stays out of the Offense and does away with the repetitive Gore runs up the gut, this team still has a chance. They need to put the ball in the hands of Alex, he's really our only hope against the antichrist.

Don't overlook the fact that defenses at this stage of the game are just trying to keep the ball in front of them and they give up plays underneath. Smith racks up yardage but still cannot win in these situations.

LB
Originally posted by leebert81:

Don't overlook the fact that defenses at this stage of the game are just trying to keep the ball in front of them and they give up plays underneath. Smith racks up yardage but still cannot win in these situations.

LB

That would be a great thought except for the fact that most of our big plays happen in this situation, this dates all the way back to LAST year. So yeah, what you're saying doesn't really apply.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Nice post and all but if you can't hold on to the football it doesn't matter who the coach is who the quarterback is or what plays you call.

12 turnovers in three games lost by a combined 8 points! Without so many turnovers this team beats the SB champs and two playoff caliber teams and is sitting at 3-2 tied for the division lead.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Nice post and all but if you can't hold on to the football it doesn't matter who the coach is who the quarterback is or what plays you call.
12 turnovers in three games lost by a combined 8 points! Without so many turnovers this team beats the SB champs and two playoff caliber teams and is sitting at 3-2 tied for the division lead.

Actually it DOES matter who the quarterback is and who the coach is because if they weren't singletary or smith, these turnovers wouldn't have happened.
Great information but all this Alex is good is based on 3 drives this season. That wasn't being said prior to Sunday.

I still don't know why we don't run more off tackle with traps and pulls. We have that play where just about the entire offensive line pulls and it's successful. Would have been on Sunday also but Gore stumbled on one and didn't stay at the hip of his oL block on the other and he cut out much to early.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by tondiman:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Actually it DOES matter who the quarterback is and who the coach is because if they weren't singletary or smith, these turnovers wouldn't have happened.

So the Saints should fire Sean Payton and bench Brees?
There IS hope. Mike J is a bright guy an i already have more faith in him than i did Raye. Alex might be the smartest guy in the whole organization other than Marathe. The key for them is to find the right balance of plays that will get chunk yards, and quick passes, cuz right now we run toooooo many plays that require better blocking than we currently have.

Great Post. An argument backed by facts. But it hard to read posts like this, because it's just so sad to see that we've wasted the most talented team we've had in nearly a decade.

I've always said, it'll be too bad if alex smith's QB career negatively affects his chances of being a coach - if he even wants that.

Watching him stand up to Sing made me like him more as a man. Say what you want about his playing, but the guys had a hell of a career, and by hell I mean his been through it. Who knows where he'll go from here, but I'll continue to root for him and wish his success.
Share 49ersWebzone