There are 150 users in the forums

Manusky Should Be Fired!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He gets paid to figure out problems and fix them, they have not been fixed.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Manusky is fine... Seriously, we have pretty much the same personnel as last season except with the releasing of Lewis for T.Mays! Only problem is I believe, in regards to the run, is that blockers are keying in more on P.Willis. I think that's why we haven't seen much production out of him as of late.

It's b/c the d line is getting blown off the ball and not occupying 2 blockers thus the guards are getting to Willis easier preventing him from making plays.

and Mausky scheme is just way to vanilla for a 3-4. They have a 3-4 that never attacks.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If you guys want to see what Manusky does wrong....just watch what the Eagles did on D against us.

That defense has major injury issues and is nowhere near as "talented" on paper as our D is. And yet they managed to bring some major pressure when it counted, and forced 5 turnovers on us. Sometimes it's not even about the talent...it's about playing hard and playing smart.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Manusky is fine... Seriously, we have pretty much the same personnel as last season except with the releasing of Lewis for T.Mays! Only problem is I believe, in regards to the run, is that blockers are keying in more on P.Willis. I think that's why we haven't seen much production out of him as of late.

It's b/c the d line is getting blown off the ball and not occupying 2 blockers thus the guards are getting to Willis easier preventing him from making plays.

and Mausky scheme is just way to vanilla for a 3-4. They have a 3-4 that never attacks.

hmm. i can agree with that
He does a good job. I think you are overrating the talent. Our CBs are average, Goldson has taken a step back and we have a rookie SS. Also, it's hard to generate pressure without blitzing. What do you expect?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
He does a good job. I think you are overrating the talent. Our CBs are average, Goldson has taken a step back and we have a rookie SS. Also, it's hard to generate pressure without blitzing. What do you expect?

So then why are we not blitzing?
I don't know if fireing him is the right choice but I am not as confident as I was at the start of the seson that he is a great coordinator...

I watch the jets game yesterday and their scheme is so good and there are a bunch of players you don't even know who they are but they keep the qb guessing all the time, confiuson, caos, they even make brett favre who has seen it all look foolish in some plays... if we want to be a dominant defense like every defensive payer is saying we need to be, we need to get creative on D, because what we are doing its not working...
And Mausky scheme is just way to vanilla for a 3-4. They have a 3-4 that never attacks.

This is the biggest reason right here. The problem is, I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg? Is Manusky ultra vanilla (esp. for a 3-4 coach) b/c he doesn't have the players to execute a real 3-4 defense or is he too pussified from his Nolan & Singletary influence? Singletary says a defense is only as good as it's pass rush so I'm thinking Manusky is just vanilla. How one goes from San Diego to here and becomes vanilla is beyond me.

We have a non-prototypical one-gap NT who's getting abused this year, teams continue to double and triple down on Smith and until Sunday has been unheard from all season, Sopoaga is having his best year as a run stopper but zero pass rush, Lawson and Haralson as well as Brooks and LaBoy are constantly 20 yards down field covering, Willis is getting owned and rarely are he and Spikes even used, let alone effective in any middle blitz, we have Goldson and Mays and neither are ever used to blitz nor are our CB's who are very good blitzers.

My biggest issue is how soft his scheme is esp. when the game is on the line. He goes ULTRA prevent (a win) making it very easy to throw down the middle of the field (huge issue for us) and deep sideline outs to stop the clock, having his CB's play 15 yards off WR's and putting tards like Brown one-on-one with the other teams best WR (R. White), can't stop a screen pass to save our lives, etc. When a QB or a flared out RB can waltz 10-20 yards down the middle of the field before even being touched that is a huge problem. And let's not talk about how fundamentally UNsound this teams is...zero team-tackling, tons of missed tackles, very poor angles, technique, bone-headed plays, time out issues and sub's, etc.

The bottom line is that Manusky is almost always outcoached and never seems to learn from his mistakes...ever. We've had the exact same problems on defense for years and years now with the exact same personnel. He has ZERO excuses and I'm tired of him getting a free pass.

The offense has been moving the ball this year and is even with the defense in TOP. The defenses TOP is most in part b/c they can't get off the field and now cause very few TO's and very little, if any sacks. This is the most unclutch defense you will find in the NFL...owned by Seattle and KC on every level, offense scores opening drives, we automatically give up a TD, late field goals against ATL, NO & now Philly, etc.

Manusky IS the Jimmy Raye of offense. Period. Right now, this defense is way below average.

And for dillholes who keep trying to blame the defenses issues on Alex Smith, er, I mean the "offense" check this out:
Pittsburgh is #32 in total offense and they are 3-1 WITHOUT their Superbowl winning QB. Their DEFENSE has only given up 50 points.
Niners are #19 in offense and 0-5; hardly inept even with the TO's. Our defense has given up 123 (I don't count the 7 Alex gave up on Sunday) points. You want to get more specific? Check out how many points our defense has given up after a TO - if we're inside our own 30 as a result of a TO, that's the offenses fault. Outside that? That's 100% on the defense and equivalent to a normal punt, something we did a ton last year and were able to stop quite a bit last year even with a totally inept offense. So the blame of the offense for the defense is total B.S. esp. this year.

Our defense has only obtained 4 TO's while the Steelers have gathered up 9 TO's (through 4 games). While our offense has turned the ball over, it's compounded when your defense does next to nothing in the same exact category. Both units have been equally terrible in the TO category.

PS: Mods, we can add this and the other defensive threads into the Official Defense thread?

[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 12, 2010 at 13:42:54 ]
so this is 2009 season all over again! back to the draft boards we go!

Originally posted by blm7754:

This is exactly why Manusky is a problem. Same personell, different results because opponents have found ways to exploit our defensive schemes. The solution to this is to adapt and change up the defensive game plan to throw off your opponent. This is Manusky's job. Teams have discovered that screens and deep throws over the middle keep us on our toes. Manusky has not found and implemented strategies that counter this attack... after 5 losses!

Times up Manusky!

Then we need to get rid of haralson and draft a better secondary.

I;ve been saying that for a while now. I don't know why when we have Brooks and Laboy they insist in playing Haralson. Haralson sucks against the run and is overrated in his pass rushing abilities. I think we would be able to get more out of the position by starting Brooks and having Laboy come in to change it up and let let Haralson ride the bench.

The secondary played way too much zone. that is a fat. I think Manusky gave the Philly receivers too much respect and should have changed up the coverage more.I'm not saying play man all night but mix it up more in the secondary.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
yes...he should be gone. with all those soft coverages hes calling.
The 34 defense is supposed to cause havoc...our version gets beat....often.
He came from san diego..where he was doing crazy blitzes that..worked...wtf happened

[ Edited by dmax on Oct 12, 2010 at 13:27:08 ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
the problem isn't manusky: its our lack of speed in the secondary and our OLB's inability to generate sacks.

agree
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
And Mausky scheme is just way to vanilla for a 3-4. They have a 3-4 that never attacks.

This is the biggest reason right here. The problem is, I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg. Is Manusky ultra vanilla (esp. for a 3-4 coach) b/c he doesn't have the players to execute a real 3-4 defense or is he too pussified from his Nolan & Singletary influence? Singletary says a defense is only as good as it's pass rush so I'm thinking Manusky is just vanilla. How one goes from San Diego to here and becomes vanilla is beyond me.

We have a non-prototypical one-gap NT who's getting abused this year, teams continue to double and triple down on Smith and until Sunday has been unheard from all season, Sopoaga is having his best year as a run stopper but zero pass rush, Lawson and Haralson as well as Brooks and LaBoy are constantly 20 yards down field covering, Willis is getting owned and rarely are he and Spikes even used, let alone effective in any middle blitz, we have Goldson and Mays and neither are ever used to blitz nor are our CB's who are very good blitzers.

My biggest issue is how soft his scheme is esp. when the game is on the line. He goes ULTRA prevent (a win) making it very easy to throw down the middle of the field (huge issue for us) and deep sideline outs to stop the clock, having his CB's play 15 yards off WR's and putting tards like Brown one-on-one with the other teams best WR (R. White), can't stop a screen pass to save our lives, etc. When a QB or a flared out RB can waltz 10-20 yards down the middle of the field before even being touched that is a huge problem. And let's not talk about how fundamentally UNsound this teams is...zero team-tackling, tons of missed tackles, very poor angles, technique, bone-headed plays, time out issues and sub's, etc.

The bottom line is that Manusky is almost always outcoached and never seems to learn from his mistakes...ever. We've had the exact same problems on defense for years and years now with the exact same personnel. He has ZERO excuses and I'm tired of him getting a free pass.

The offense has been moving the ball this year and is even with the defense in TOP. The defenses TOP is most in part b/c they can't get off the field and now cause very few TO's and very little, if any sacks. This is the most unclutch defense you will find in the NFL...owned by Seattle and KC on every level, offense scores opening drives, we automatically give up a TD, late field goals against ATL, NO & now Philly, etc.

Manusky IS the Jimmy Raye of offense. Period. Right now, this defense is way below average.

And for dillholes who keep trying to blame the defenses issues on Alex Smith, er, I mean the "offense" check this out:
Pittsburgh is #32 in total offense and they are 3-1 WITHOUT their Superbowl winning QB. Their DEFENSE has only given up 50 points.
Niners are #19 in offense and 0-5; hardly inept even with the TO's. Our defense has given up 123 (I don't count the 7 Alex gave up on Sunday).

Our defense has only obtained 4 TO's while the Steelers have gathered up 9 TO's (through 4 games). While our offense has turned the ball over, it's compounded when your defense does next to nothing in the same exact category. Both units have been equally terrible in the TO category.

PS: Mods, we can add this and the other defensive threads into the Official Defense thread?

BRILLANT
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Before the Saints game they were commenting on his philosophy of bend but dont break style of letting the team drive down the field and getting 3 points. That philosophy works for teams like the Colts who have a high powered offense who can get in the endzone,but not for team who plays in close games. 3 losses by 3 or less points this season alone,not to mention the several last season, should wake you up to be more agressive before the FG range
Share 49ersWebzone