There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Smash Mouth Football

When is Sing going to realize that Smash mouth football is not going to work. I am pretty sure that most super bowl champions won because they had a strong passing attack. I am not saying we should stop running the football completely, but that we should make an effort to make the spread offense a bigger part of our offensive philosophy. I have found new interest in next weeks game because of the fact that the chains have been unleashed off of smith. This is truly his last and final chance to be a starter for us. So give it your best shot Alex!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
A modern offense succeeds the best when the defense cannot predict what it is doing. Singletary's version of smash mouth is too predictable, I don't see any misdirection plays, pulling, trap blocking, and cross blocking are absent. You could have a hall of fame o-line and still get nowhere running and blocking straight ahead in today's NFL.
Originally posted by BobS:
A modern offense succeeds the best when the defense cannot predict what it is doing. Singletary's version of smash mouth is too predictable, I don't see any misdirection plays, pulling, trap blocking, and cross blocking are absent. You could have a hall of fame o-line and still get nowhere running and blocking straight ahead in today's NFL.

That's really good insight. Like I've been saying, there is nothing wrong with smash mouth, its just our version that's the problem. Its like saying you want to be a passing team, but only run 4wr set go routes. M.Sing has made me hate the I formation 2 wide set....

we never get defenses moving east-west, all they have to do is run downhill and make a play on Gore
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Even Lombardi's 60's smash mouth was more creative than the 49ers. Most of the 49er running plays are the same offense you are teaching kids in their first exposure to offensive football, making it simple. With pewees and JR High players they make it easy, "32 dive" is called. That is 3 back (tail back) straight ahead in the 2 hole. The lineman to the left of the two hole block left, lineman to the right of the 2 hole block right. The fullback ( known as the 2 back ) lead blocks through the two hole. Got it?
This offense will work if it is Jr. High and you are blocking 130 pound guys with 175 pound ones. Of course these dive plays need to be run out of the same formation as not to confuse the kids.
Even Lombardi's 60's smash mouth was more creative than the 49ers. Most of the 49er running plays are the same offense you are teaching kids in their first exposure to offensive football, making it simple. With pewees and JR High players they make it easy, "32 dive" is called. That is 3 back (tail back) straight ahead in the 2 hole. The lineman to the left of the two hole block left, lineman to the right of the 2 hole block right. The fullback ( known as the 2 back ) lead blocks through the two hole. Got it?
This offense will work if it is Jr. High and you are blocking 130 pound guys with 175 pound ones. Of course these dive plays need to be run out of the same formation as not to confuse the kids.

'we just need to play better'

Mike Johnson says that what he is trying to bring to this team but we shall see.
Originally posted by znk916:

we never get defenses moving east-west, all they have to do is run downhill and make a play on Gore

I think that Mike Johnson is calling plays off of Rayes' playbook. If he had his own playbook there would be a major difference in the way that we run the football.
The 49ers are trying to be something they are not. The niners are known for passing the football that's how achieved greatness. We are the west cost offense, Sing is just follow a philosophy he learned in Chicago and that style was never work here.

Get back to creative offensive football, get back to our roots.
FAIL
It works when you have a good running game and a great defense. We have neither...
Sing wants all run plays designed to run up the gut. Even when we run the wildcat it's straight up the gut. Why do we do that when we have a back-up center, rookie guard, and Chilo freakin Rachal?!?!?
what's the use of smash mouth football when the entire nfl knows that's your entire offense. when you've a qb whom can keep the d honest then yes smash mouth football will definitely work. otherwise, it'll be the same ole' story.