• jrg
  • Veteran
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Willis is always bringing the defensive troops together on the sideline.

I love Willis for his playing, but I dont think he leads.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Willis is always bringing the defensive troops together on the sideline.

I love Willis for his playing, but I dont think he leads.

You do not have to be a rah-rah cheerleader to be a leader. You just have to have your teammates respect, and if you think Willis doesn't lead by example, just watch him play.
Originally posted by jrg:
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith

Take Alex Smith off that list please.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by kray28:
A leader who keeps dancing after the catch while the clock is ticking?

A leader who disappears from the passing game for large stretches, has trouble getting open or getting extra yards in space?

If that's leadership, it's in name only, and not in action. He got paid, and now he's playing like it, if you ask me.

"Leadership is ultimately about creating a way for people to contribute to making something extraordinary happen."

VD did that on Sunday with Smith. For most of the game Smith played like crap. In the 4th quarter, VD created a way for Smith to contribute and the result was 2 TD's. When was the last time we saw Smith throw 2 TD's in a quarter?

Smith did not play like crap for most of the game. He had that one horrible fumble. Other than that he played lights out.

Lights out? Seriously? Do you know that means? How could you even say that after watching the game? Smith played good football for 3 drives in the whole damn game. Other than that he was playing like s**t. Like everyone else but Smith is the QB and hes been awful each and every game. Why do you think he was booed?
It is clearly Vernon.

But I think players respect Willis a lot as well. I went out to one of the practices and defensive players (specifically linebackers) were hanging on his every word.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by jrg:
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore
Patrick Willis
Takeo Spikes
Alex Smith

Take Alex Smith off that list please.

I don't know about that. Seems like his teammates rallied around him when the world was crashing on his head. They wouldn't have done that (didn't see a lot of rallying around Leinart during the Cardinal preseason) if Alex was not a respected leader on that team. You don't won't him on the list. That's fine but doesn't mean much compared to the fact that his teammates act as if he belongs there.

[ Edited by BHulman on Oct 12, 2010 at 19:27:08 ]
VD. He is the leader of the team, period.
VD is the only leader I see on this team.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

A leader who disappears from the passing game for large stretches, has trouble getting open or getting extra yards in space?

If that's leadership, it's in name only, and not in action. He got paid, and now he's playing like it, if you ask me.

"Leadership is ultimately about creating a way for people to contribute to making something extraordinary happen."

VD did that on Sunday with Smith. For most of the game Smith played like crap. In the 4th quarter, VD created a way for Smith to contribute and the result was 2 TD's. When was the last time we saw Smith throw 2 TD's in a quarter?

Smith did not play like crap for most of the game. He had that one horrible fumble. Other than that he played lights out.

Lights out? Seriously? Do you know that means? How could you even say that after watching the game? Smith played good football for 3 drives in the whole damn game. Other than that he was playing like s**t. Like everyone else but Smith is the QB and hes been awful each and every game. Why do you think he was booed?

Watch the game one more time.

• dj43
Lack of veteran leadership is a major issue with this team. There is decent amount of talent and some good players but that is not the same as a veteran who will get in guys faces when the need it and prop them up when they need that.

They need guys like Jack Reynolds, Ronnie Lott, Keena Turner, Guy McIntyre, Randy Cross and Harris Barton. Those guys were the glue that kept all those teams together. I probably missed a couple but those were all solid vets who kept the team focused and playing together.
Originally posted by dobo:
me

Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Watch the game one more time.

Yah, Alex played well. The boo's come with the circumstances, being 0-5, and beating ourselves every game. Alex made mistakes but he was not to be blamed for the game.

Also, it was "we want carr!" shows how smart those fans were. Carr would do nothing.

[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Oct 12, 2010 at 23:20:28 ]
One thing that resonated with me toward the end of the Steve Young interview was that this team needs "true pros". He mentioned Ronnie and how he made the FS accountable, who then made the cb accountable and so on and so on. This Niners sorely lack those types of players. The team has missed on that quality when scouting players, either in college, or free agents, trades or whatever and it shows.
VD. What he did on Sunday solidified that in my mind, and probably the teams as well. I love this guy, and he's our best or 2nd best player on either side of the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone