LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Talk about a Niner locker room divided

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by kray28:
Smith proved he wasn't the problem last night, if you ask me.

So throwing two interceptions, and fumbling is no problem. Thanks Iron Mike. remember we need offense. two interceptions and a fumble ar only good if you are on defense.

Neither of those picks had any relevance to the game whatsoever. One came on a jump ball to Ginn who never turned around and they took over on their 2 yard line. The other was on the last play of the game and came because Smith got hit half way through his throw.

The fumble was freaking embarrassing, but if the defense doesn't all a 3 pt drive when the game is on the line that game is tied in regulation.

P.S. What about the 40 yard FG that Nedney missed...what a joke.

I went from hating, to feeling sorry for, to absolutely loving A.S. all in 30 minutes time...that was down rate curageous as hell to throw those two TD's with his whole damn career on the line...I have been waiting to see Alex get pissed off for 6 years and it finally happened last night. I hope it carries over.

WE ARE NOT BUILT TO RUN THE BALL UP THE DAMN MIDDLE....THROW THROW AND THROW AGAIN UNTIL PEOPLE LOOSEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINGLETARY'S STUBBORNESS AND PRIDE ARE WHAT IS KILLING US...AND ALEX KNOWS IT.

How can you say that a pick to end the game was not relevant to the game? It ended the game. We were down 3 points. Alex doesn't throw a pick there and we live to play another down.

Pocket presence is part of football.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 11, 2010 at 19:34:31 ]
I WANNA SEE MORE GINN!!!

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 11, 2010 at 19:46:42 ]
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

So throwing two interceptions, and fumbling is no problem. Thanks Iron Mike. remember we need offense. two interceptions and a fumble ar only good if you are on defense.

Neither of those picks had any relevance to the game whatsoever. One came on a jump ball to Ginn who never turned around and they took over on their 2 yard line. The other was on the last play of the game and came because Smith got hit half way through his throw.

The fumble was freaking embarrassing, but if the defense doesn't all a 3 pt drive when the game is on the line that game is tied in regulation.

I went from hating, to feeling sorry for, to absolutely loving A.S. all in 30 minutes time...that was down rate curageous as hell to throw those two TD's with his whole damn career on the line...I have been waiting to see Alex get pissed off for 6 years and it finally happened last night. I hope it carries over.

WE ARE NOT BUILT TO RUN THE BALL UP THE DAMN MIDDLE....THROW THROW AND THROW AGAIN UNTIL PEOPLE LOOSEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can you say that a pick to end the game was not relevant to the game? It ended the game. We were down 3 points. Alex doesn't throw a pick there and we live to play another down.

do you actually lack the intelligence to understand that the defensive lineman drilled Alex Smith as he was trying to throw the ball because A. Davis failed to do his job???

[ Edited by tn9er on Oct 11, 2010 at 19:38:59 ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
The last pick was not on Alex. And the impact of the first INT was to pin the Eagles at their own 3 yd line.

I'm okay with those deep ball INTs, to be honest. At least he was throwing it deep for a change.

Still, it might have helped if Ginn had at least turned around to track the ball on that play.

Why would Ginn need to turn around? He did his job and used his speed to beat the Db's and would have had a TD if Smith threw the ball over the defenders instead of to them. You said you were ok with that int because it pinned the eagles at the 3, but it cost us 7 because of the underthrow.

no relevance? how about stopping us from scoring, I would say that's pretty damn relevant.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Pocket? There was no pocket, except the one's in his pants. Davis got beat right away because Rachal messed up on his hook pull. Smith didn't stand a chance.
Alex's teammates know. They have played the game for years. They know how difficult the game is at this level, and how everyone screws up. They know the standards and they know where a player fits in relative to others.

If Vernon and Frank sincerely think he is the man, that is good enough for me.

My latest research:
A. Rodgers seems to be the main benchmark against which Alex is measured. Yesterday, Rodgers completed 59% of his passes, for a 6.4 YPA, with 1 TD and 1 INT, and a 75.7 QB rating. His team lost 13-16, and he was shut out in the second half.
Alex completed 64%, 7.9 YPA, 3 TDs and 2 INTs, and 92.8 QB rating. His team lost 24-27, but he put 14 points on the board in the 4th QTR. The haters call it "garbage time." I call it a "comeback."

Let's compare how Alex did against P. Manning, another benchmark, when they played KC this year:
Manning was 26/44, 5.5 YPA, 0 TD, 1 INT, 65.0 QB rating when they played @ home.
Alex was 23/42, 5.5 YPA, 1 TD, 1INT, 68.8 QB rating when they played @ KC.

By both measures, Alex performed as well or better. You guys better get all of this in perspective, rather than obessing and nit picking over every thing Alex does wrong.
This is absolutely absurd and it shows how classless as fans we've become. What evidence do you have to support that the locker room is divided? What quote is lingering out there to suggest players discontent with each other? To my knowledge, there have been none. What you're doing is trying to fabricate a story based on absolutely no evidence, which is childless, classless and shameful. It shows to your lack of maturity. Please, sir, the next time you post something, try to make it intelligent and based on fact, and not baseless summation.

I'm watching Brett Favre and his turnovers in tonight's game; here's the reality 49er fans: the quarterback handles the ball on nearly every snap. He will turn over the ball on occasion. Has Alex Smith turned it over more than is acceptable? Yes, which is why he is on notice and is evaluated from this point forward on a week to week basis. To reemphasize what many fans have already noted-Frank Gore turned the ball over two times and had great difficulty finding holes. It's time to move away from a Gore-centric offense to a diverse, spread offense on a more permanent basis.

Great coaches adapt their systems to the talent at hand. It's time to admit that Gore, so far, has lost a half-step and our best move is to throw the ball (and in so doing, enter this decade along with the rest of the NFL).

[ Edited by faithful49erfan on Oct 11, 2010 at 20:19:25 ]
Originally posted by excelsior:
Alex's teammates know. They have played the game for years. They know how difficult the game is at this level, and how everyone screws up. They know the standards and they know where a player fits in relative to others.

My latest research:
A. Rodgers seems to be the main benchmark against which Alex is measured. Yesterday, Rodgers completed 59% of his passes, for a 6.4 YPA, with 1 TD and 1 INT, and a 75.7 QB rating. His team lost 13-16, and he was shut out in the second half.
Alex completed 64%, 7.9 YPA, 3 TDs and 2 INTs, and 92.8 QB rating. His team lost 24-27, but he put 14 points on the board in the 4th QTR. The haters call it "garbage time." I call it a "comeback."

Let's compare how Alex did against P. Manning, another benchmark, when they played KC this year:
Manning was 26/44, 5.5 YPA, 0 TD, 1 INT, 65.0 QB rating when they played @ home.

By both measures, Alex performed as well or better. You guys better get all of this in perspective, rather than obessing and nit picking over every thing Alex does wrong.

Great research, sir, and well put. It's good to see someone post something with a little research (work) put in.
Originally posted by excelsior:

My latest research:

those are very interesting numbers. I think Smith has an unfair share of the blame for our start, but that's the nature of the NFL...but the bottom line is that we're 0-5 and Smith leads the league in INTs. Also, while those numbers do indicate that even good Qb's have mediocre days and that Alex isn't as terrible as many on this board think he is, those two QB's--Manning and Rodgers--have had many other games in which they put up numbers that Alex has never, in his career, touched.

We need to win games. Maybe the 4th quarter yesterday was a turning point and Smith will step up and put up better than mediocre numbers and we'll win games...but until that happens a lot of the criticism of Smith is valid...

I do agree that its a good sign that Smith's teammates appear to be fully behind him still. I've been very worried that this team would begin to quit and come apart from the inside, but they seem to still really believe in each other. But it MUST translate to wins, or it means nothing more than that these guys are friends, which is cool, but not necessary to win football games.

[ Edited by HessianDud on Oct 11, 2010 at 20:21:57 ]

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Say what you want but what VD and Gore did was split a locker room with their actions. Anything can happen this season and the last thing you want to do is undermind your coaches and fans by putting a player before the team. Smith could go down and the last memory Carr is gonna have is the two weapons he would need didn't even want him in the game even if he throws like the old 30's players he's going in. They know a new qb will spread the ball around and that wouldn't be that bad of an idea with all the talent we have. The defense wouldn't know wat to expect. We wanted a change we need a change and I love these players but I'm a lil disgusted with their stance. Team first not players feelings, that kind of thinking is hurting us.

Carr sucks worse than Smith--if he hopes to change their minds he will do it with his play. I am sure if he is successful (and I am skeptical) they will support him.

Based on what?

Exactly, based on what. How can people say we have a better chance to win with smith when we're not even winning. How could we do worst with a qb change. We'be seen qbs get grilled for pre season mistakes with a crappy OC. We're winless in the real season with a qb who's averaging almost 2 picks a game and "he's doing a decent job." Unacceptable.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
This is 100% NOT TRUE. Nobody really wants David Carr in the game, even the cockroach fans that chanted for him last night. Frank and Vernon could have let Alex go down in flames, but instead they defended their QB from Dingletary and the cockroach fans.

Screw you buddy. So, now your a "better" fan because you don't go to the games, you just sit here on your forum behind your keyboard and talk s**t about other fans? Some of you guys a just ridiculous.
Originally posted by faithful49erfan:
This is absolutely absurd and it shows how classless as fans we've become. What evidence do you have to support that the locker room is divided? What quote is lingering out there to suggest players discontent with each other? To my knowledge, there have been none. What you're doing is trying to fabricate a story based on absolutely no evidence, which is childless, classless and shameful. It shows to your lack of maturity. Please, sir, the next time you post something, try to make it intelligent and based on fact, and not baseless summation.

I'm watching Brett Favre and his turnovers in tonight's game; here's the reality 49er fans: the quarterback handles the ball on nearly every snap. He will turn over the ball on occasion. Has Alex Smith turned it over more than is acceptable? Yes, which is why he is on notice and is evaluated from this point forward on a week to week basis. To reemphasize what many fans have already noted-Frank Gore turned the ball over two times and had great difficulty finding holes. It's time to move away from a Gore-centric offense to a diverse, spread offense on a more permanent basis.

Great coaches adapt their systems to the talent at hand. It's time to admit that Gore, so far, has lost a half-step and our best move is to throw the ball (and in so doing, enter this decade along with the rest of the NFL).

All that shameful, classless, childless? Name calling at ur age is childish. When a coach makes a decision its supposedly final I have never seen an exchange like that could result in a overruling . Frank and Vd openly said they didn't want David in the game. Now not all humans are blind sheep like urself we can see when there is six years of the same decline because of a foundation that is made of straw. The coach made that change and players opposed another player who has now openly said he wants to give his team the best chance to win. Now I'm not making anything up those are facts and a clear division not major but just like some of us want change and some don't, its nothing wrong with thinking some of the players feel the same way. Especially when players speak against another player's chances to make the best of their opportunities when given. I'm just sayin.
  • ZRF80
After 6 years, people STILL defend Smith as "the one". Fine, lets assume for one second that VD slipped on the hook route. So Smith's fumble which led to an Eagles TD was justified ?

Comeon people....you guys are splitting hairs. A lot of his supporters like to rant on the anti-Smith bandwagoners that we create a lot of nonsense threads that attack Smith unnecessarily. But have you guys counted the amount of threads wasted on defending his mistakes ? Every fumble, every bad throw, every INT is picked apart, and somehow it's never Smith's fault.

Get over it already. This is a 6th year vet making the same mistakes you'd see in a rookie. It's not the systemS (plural) he's played, it's HIM. There is no system that he excels in. We played him the spread last season, and he STILL struggled against teams like the Titans, Cardinals, etc.

????????????????????????????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone