Talk about a Niner locker room divided

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
This team is just plain bad...

But its becoming more and more obvious that Smith isn't THE problem. He is just a problem

Coaching
D
Oline
Smith
Gore

Gore will be fine. I wish I could say the same about Smith. The OC position has been improved. What worries me the most is our defense...

Wtf happened to the defense we had last year? Same coordinator, pretty much the same players except for Mays. Who in no way can be anything but better than Lewis. I don't understand wtf is up with our D this season...... Seriously.

How many TD's did the defense allow yesterday going against 4 turnovers?

Doesn't matter. I'm referring to the ENTIRE season as a whole. I'm referring to our "former" tope 10 run defense. Now were allowing QB's to run for 25 yards and we're allowing 250+ passing, and 100+ yard rushing games now. Not to mention getting walked on the first defensive drive of the game. Along with the Falcons starting from their own 10 or so, marching down TWICE. The list goes on and on. The defense has made some big plays this year when it's counted, but the consistency is not there. This defense is either REALLY good in some games, or looks just god AWFUL.

I don't think you can blame a defense of a team that is -10 when the next worst team in the NFL is -6 (AFC) and the next worst team in the NFC is -4.

You can blame them for the Clements fumble loss, but the offense is hurting the team more than the defense is. Either way, the defense isn't the primary issue you can go even more specific to a single position that is the reason for this teams lack of offense and mistakes on offense.

Oh yea, I know that. The two issues with this team right now is ball security, and the defense. But those issues help each other unfortunately.
Originally posted by kray28:
Smith proved he wasn't the problem last night, if you ask me.

So throwing two interceptions, and fumbling is no problem. Thanks Iron Mike. remember we need offense. two interceptions and a fumble ar only good if you are on defense.
Smith sucks 6 yrs he hasn't showed up yet and won't like some else said he did a enough 2 keep his job...let's keep it real fellas...as far as veron and gore goes when been riding gore all these yrs let's not forget...VD lead TE n touchdowns last yr...so let's b honest wht has smith done since he been here ? ...I am listening
He made one horrific mistake on that fumble but he generally played OK. His QB rating was 92. He might have been part of the problem, but anyone who thinks getting rid of Smith will automatically lead to wins is delusional.
the Niners were the 2010 preseason champions 4-0!! Singletary was the NFL preseason coach of the year.

We just are having a little trouble winning the real games
Smith is not a probowler.

Smith is not a superbowl QB.

Smith might not finish the season.

But Smith showed A LOT of character and moxie during that game last night. I was very impressed with the way he responded to the booing, benching, and all around pressure. I am not even talking football right now. He showed that he is a man.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

So throwing two interceptions, and fumbling is no problem. Thanks Iron Mike. remember we need offense. two interceptions and a fumble ar only good if you are on defense.

Do you apply the same logic to Gore? Why only selectively concentrate on what Smith did wrong?

He also threw for 3 TDs and over 300 yds. He converted third downs at a pretty respectable clip and started out the game 10/10. When they went into hurry up mode, he led the offense in for two quick strike scores while enduring boos and near benching by his own coach.

There was no guy more alone in that stadium last night than Alex Smith....and he responded with courage, confidence, and really gave an inspired effort. For that, I tip my hat to him and say that he proved something to me last night. Those that don't want to acknowledge that...whatever.

I'd just like to hear a constructive argument from the "blow it up" crew as to how benching Smith will improve this team near term. Is there another QB on this squad or even one we could pick up on waivers that could just step in and better the production we're already getting from Alex while also playing 100% mistake free ball?

Seriously....who is there?

[ Edited by kray28 on Oct 11, 2010 at 14:02:06 ]
Have you noticed whenever they go into the 2 min. offense and Smith actually gets to call the plays how much better the team is. They need to open up the playbook and start running the spread more instead of just running the ball up the centers ass on first and second down and getting left with third and long. The "SMASHMOUTH" offense is not working.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tja683:
Have you noticed whenever they go into the 2 min. offense and Smith actually gets to call the plays how much better the team is. They need to open up the playbook and start running the spread more instead of just running the ball up the centers ass on first and second down and getting left with third and long. The "SMASHMOUTH" offense is not working.

Everybody except the coaches and the "Blame Alex" crew has noticed.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:

We lost by 3 points and he get up a fumble for touchdown. He screwed up by play all by himself.

And Gore fumbled 2x...Nedney missed a FG...

All he is saying is that Smith wasn't the only reason the team lost.

You guys are both right, none of the 49ers are prepared to win and that comes down to coaching.

Do you apply the same logic to Gore? Why only selectively concentrate on what Smith did wrong?

He also threw for 3 TDs and over 300 yds. He converted third downs at a pretty respectable clip and started out the game 10/10. When they went into hurry up mode, he led the offense in for two quick strike scores while enduring boos and near benching by his own coach.

There was no guy more alone in that stadium last night than Alex Smith....and he responded with courage, confidence, and really gave an inspired effort. For that, I tip my hat to him and say that he proved something to me last night. Those that don't want to acknowledge that...whatever.

I'd just like to hear a constructive argument from the "blow it up" crew as to how benching Smith will improve this team near term. Is there another QB on this squad or even one we could pick up on waivers that could just step in and better the production we're already getting from Alex while also playing 100% mistake free ball?

Seriously....who is there?

I'll tip my hat to those two drives, but 2 picks and a unforced fumble that led to a TD? Unfortunately, that's what I've come to expect from Alex.

It's not about blowing it up, it's just trying to figure out who can lead this team next year, cause it isn't Alex.

Did he impress you enough last night to want to commit to him, again?
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Say what you want but what VD and Gore did was split a locker room with their actions. Anything can happen this season and the last thing you want to do is undermind your coaches and fans by putting a player before the team. Smith could go down and the last memory Carr is gonna have is the two weapons he would need didn't even want him in the game even if he throws like the old 30's players he's going in. They know a new qb will spread the ball around and that wouldn't be that bad of an idea with all the talent we have. The defense wouldn't know wat to expect. We wanted a change we need a change and I love these players but I'm a lil disgusted with their stance. Team first not players feelings, that kind of thinking is hurting us.

Carr sucks worse than Smith--if he hopes to change their minds he will do it with his play. I am sure if he is successful (and I am skeptical) they will support him.
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Say what you want but what VD and Gore did was split a locker room with their actions. Anything can happen this season and the last thing you want to do is undermind your coaches and fans by putting a player before the team. Smith could go down and the last memory Carr is gonna have is the two weapons he would need didn't even want him in the game even if he throws like the old 30's players he's going in. They know a new qb will spread the ball around and that wouldn't be that bad of an idea with all the talent we have. The defense wouldn't know wat to expect. We wanted a change we need a change and I love these players but I'm a lil disgusted with their stance. Team first not players feelings, that kind of thinking is hurting us.

Carr sucks worse than Smith--if he hopes to change their minds he will do it with his play. I am sure if he is successful (and I am skeptical) they will support him.

Based on what?
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by boriken_9er:

We lost by 3 points and he get up a fumble for touchdown. He screwed up by play all by himself.

Did you see Vernon slip and fall on the hook route, or were your eyes closed and simply listening to Collinsworth's endless stream of sweet nothings?

Exactly... I was screaming at collinsworth after watching the replay... idiot. Davis went down and I think there was a LB right there inside of him who would have been all alone. The ball would have been incomplete at best... pick 6 (and here it comes) at worst.

How about Gore's TWO fumbles? Nedney missed a 40 yd field goal! Smith made it a 3 point game... it could have been worse.

NO this would/will not DIVIDE a locker room... unless the division is between David Carr and the rest of the team. The players want to win and I think its obvious their best chance to win is with Smith.

Agree

Neither of those picks had any relevance to the game whatsoever. One came on a jump ball to Ginn who never turned around and they took over on their 2 yard line. The other was on the last play of the game and came because Smith got hit half way through his throw.

The fumble was freaking embarrassing, but if the defense doesn't all a 3 pt drive when the game is on the line that game is tied in regulation.

P.S. What about the 40 yard FG that Nedney missed...what a joke.

I went from hating, to feeling sorry for, to absolutely loving A.S. all in 30 minutes time...that was down rate curageous as hell to throw those two TD's with his whole damn career on the line...I have been waiting to see Alex get pissed off for 6 years and it finally happened last night. I hope it carries over.

WE ARE NOT BUILT TO RUN THE BALL UP THE DAMN MIDDLE....THROW THROW AND THROW AGAIN UNTIL PEOPLE LOOSEN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SINGLETARY'S STUBBORNESS AND PRIDE ARE WHAT IS KILLING US...AND ALEX KNOWS IT.

[ Edited by bigwads on Oct 11, 2010 at 19:23:52 ]
Share 49ersWebzone