There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Serious question for LONGTIME 49ers fans

NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP!

This is follows by the loud booing of Dexter Carter running the sweep!
IM GLAD HE GOT BOOOOOOOOOOOO'D
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP!

This is the only thing I can compare it to. At one point fans were taking brooms to the Stick with the circle-slash "No" sign afixed to the broom's head.

Aside from Seifert's sweep fetish, Disaster Carter was also booed intensely for his habit of flubbing punt returns or coughing up the ball when his small frame was struck by a gunner.

Given Smith's much longer tenure with the team, I'd say Carter accomplished a lot to incur the fans' wrath in such a comparatively brief amount of time.
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP!

That was before my time. What's the story of Dexter Carter and the sweep? I always thought that the problem with the early '90s 49ers was that they had defensive woes?
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP!

This is the only thing I can compare it to. At one point fans were taking brooms to the Stick with the circle-slash "No" sign afixed to the broom's head.

Aside from Seifert's sweep fetish, Disaster Carter was also booed intensely for his habit of flubbing punt returns or coughing up the ball when his small frame was struck by a gunner.

Given Smith's much longer tenure with the team, I'd say Carter accomplished a lot to incur the fans' wrath in such a comparatively brief amount of time.

I remember that game in 1993 where Carter singlehandedly blew a 24-7 lead over the Falcons at the Georgia Dome by muffing two straight punts in the fourth quarter. Seifert wanted to strangle the guy after that.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Was tonight the loudest booing that you have ever heard at Candlestick? I have been watching the 49ers since 1995, and I remember some loud boos that came out during the "Rattay Years", but I have never seen Candlestick boo someone as loud as they did Alex tonight.

do you expect deads to wake up and be alive ?
they won't respond to you 'cos they can't hear you anymore
Anything that is booing for them are the ghosts
Was tonight the loudest booing that you have ever heard at Candlestick? I have been watching the 49ers since 1995, and I remember some loud boos that came out during the "Rattay Years", but I have never seen Candlestick boo someone as loud as they did Alex tonight.

It was pretty loud in 1978 as I recall -- but it wasn't squarely focused on the play of just one individual.

In other words -- the whole team was just rotten to the core.

This is the first time I've heard this kind of crowd venom directed at just one player.
If I was Smith, after that 2nd TD drive after the boos, I would have gave everyone in the stadium the bird. HAHA (Of course this would have to be done BEFORE his game ending INT)
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP!

I remember that, we would get stopped for a loss on every sweep play we tried.
Originally posted by RKab:
49er fans want 6 years of frustration and heartbreak to end - one way or another. That is what you heard last night and the tidal wave is only going to grow week-by-week. Right or wrong Alex Smith is the poster boy for the fall of the franchise that they love. One of the greatest franchises in NFL history. And Singletary has been exposed as a bit of an off-kilter demagogue tilting at windmills (or "rats"), a steely-eyed charlatan from a bygone era swindling a starved fanbase out of the only thing they had left to give - hope - with his baritone high school gym teacher platitudes and truisms about a sport where even the greatest of indians can flounder as chiefs.

Being a 49er - and being a 49er fan used to mean something.

We just wanted the team to win again.

Yes!
I find it funny that when the Candlestick crowd finally shows some unified passion, some people wig out and find it offensive. What's next a law suit?
i have watched every Niner game since the mid 70s and last night was up there in boos--we had some boos in the Nolan years. There may even have been some booing in 1988 when the Niners lost to the raiders 6-3 to fall to a 6-5 record.

That was when Raider Howie Long said after the game the Niners offensive lineman gave away the play call--run or pass----and I think the Niner coaches did something---because the offense became amazing the next game against the Redskins and we never looked back that season---winning the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP
NO MORE SWEEP!

That was before my time. What's the story of Dexter Carter and the sweep? I always thought that the problem with the early '90s 49ers was that they had defensive woes?

There were a couple of aspects to it, Wubbie. First, the sweep was to Seifert what between the tackles is for Singletary. Seemingly every lousy down was sweep left. I was at a few of those games and the crowd animosity was very vocal. There was a real feeling that the genius of Walsh had been replaced by a knuckle-dragging cro-magnon of a coach in Seifert. Sound vaguely familiar? ;)

Carter is the second issue. To understand Carter you first have to meet Dave Meggett. Meggett was a seriously undersized return man and RB for Parcells' Giants. Despite his small size, Meggett was suprisingly successful, largely due to the fact that he was as quick and fast as a mongoose. Remember, the Giants were our archrival at the time and Meggett's speed and quickness gave us fits.

George Seifert decided to fight fire with fire and drafted Carter as his own personal version of a hellfire munchkin. Apparently the coaching staff and management were not at all fond of this idea, but Seifert threw his weight behind the idea and Carter subsequently became known as Seifert's golden boy or pet project.

As you've read above, things did not go well for Carter and he was quickly dubbed Disaster Carter. In fairness (I'm feeling very charitable at the moment) Carter did display flashes of serious potential, but that potential was intersperesed with a real flair for catastrophic, game-ending screw ups--again, sound familiar? ;)

The most frustrating aspect of the Carter/Sweep period was Seifert's bloody minded stubbornness regarding both Carter and the confounded sweep. But, Seifert ploughed ahead with his pet project: he was going to make it work, come hell or high water. Eventually we traded or released Carter, I think the Jets ended up getting him.

Anyway, that's the backstory to Carter, the Sweep, and a stubborn Niners coach. Some things never change, eh?

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 11, 2010 at 14:38:25 ]
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Boos were the loudest Ive heard, and they were completely justified.

The team hasnt been in the playoffs since 2002 (longest streak in NFC), is still clinging to Alex Smith despite his struggles, and the coaching staff is determined not to change course.

What else are fans supposed to do ? Put a smile on their face and hope for the best ?

Changes need to be made, and if the front office is too blind to see it, then they can HEAR it by listening to disgruntled fans showing their appreciation. Alex Smith has to go, and this "We want Carr" will be a redundant theme everytime he takes the field and miscues a pass. Sing and his staff need to be ousted.

You better go check that stat again ZRF80. The Lions? When was their last Playoff game? I seem to recall that Millen had those guys so primed that Playoffs were expected. Oh wait that was for their Division rivals.

I'm not picking on you here. Just pointing out that your exaggeration is mind numbing.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I only started watching in '95 as well and don't remember hearing boos this loud. Would like to hear the responses to this as well...

I imagine the boos Steve Young got were worse though. Back then, I'm sure the fanbase was even more... electric... given how high-profile our games were at the time of the early 90s.

I don't recall anyone booing and chanting for a player by name though.

That was a disgusting display on the part of 9er fans as far as I am concerned.

Smith on the other hand to his credit said "the fans have a right to boo since they pay the costs" and also said "I don't think I could boo myself" or something to this effect.

At least this shows he gets it.

Still I don't believe that fans should have been such asses about it.

I think we are the worst by default and that's only cause we have yet to play our Division games. The Rams lost to the Lions for cryin out loud.

~Ceadder

So the fans should accept horrid QB play? What do you do if you would buy something over the internet for $100 and it was a misrepresented piece of junk, would you be happy about it and keep it or be upset and want your money back?

Funny you should mention this scenario. I just sent back a Keyboard that cost me $150 and all it was good for was typing since you can't get Windows 7 Drivers.

I don't boo it cause it served it's purpose well when I had XP. I just bought it in February. So it's a bit early to abandon a brand new Keyboard. The OLED feature of the Board doesn't work at all in 7 though.

So you see I do understand your analogy. And I hope that you understand mine when I poo poo yours.

Put Smith in the right circumstance and he's fine. He runs a hell of a 2 minute drill. Even without protection. Unfortunately he's not given that luxury. If Sing would stop with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust and let Smith run the Offense this team would definitely have more Wins.

Even Collinsworthless pointed out what I have been saying all along. Smith's Red Zone stats are around the highest in the league. The problem lies between the 20s'. I think this is fixable and this season.

Tons of fans to this day still believe that Unitas was the best ever because he called his own plays. But here on the Zone we spit on our QB for not performing well. To me it's primarily cause Gore is asked to Run the ball up the middle every time. I'll tell ya, if I know where the ball is going to be then I'll send blitzers in on every down instead of a couple times every 6 plays. I'll make your QB beat me.

This is what WE do Defensively. And it kills us. So it's almost like Sing expects the Run to kill them.

~Ceadder