LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 202 users in the forums

Serious question for LONGTIME 49ers fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • RKab
  • Veteran
49er fans want 6 years of frustration and heartbreak to end - one way or another. That is what you heard last night and the tidal wave is only going to grow week-by-week. Right or wrong Alex Smith is the poster boy for the fall of the franchise that they love. One of the greatest franchises in NFL history. And Singletary has been exposed as a bit of an off-kilter demagogue tilting at windmills (or "rats"), a steely-eyed charlatan from a bygone era swindling a starved fanbase out of the only thing they had left to give - hope - with his baritone high school gym teacher platitudes and truisms about a sport where even the greatest of indians can flounder as chiefs.

Being a 49er - and being a 49er fan used to mean something.

We just wanted the team to win again.
The booing should have been more directed at Singltary, and his inept team play. Not to mention Manusky and Solari. We have nothing to lose on offense, so just let Smith call some of his own plays. This team needs to ride by the seat of their pants now, as the head coach is lost, and has no answers, like he even admits. We need to get EVERYBODY we have out on that field. The fans were probably booing the same guys, making the same mistakes, but Alex was out in the open, so he got it most. We want change!!! And wins!!!
Smith is the easy target for the fans. There were plenty of boo's after a few handoffs which of course were directed at the coaching staff for continuing to try and pound the ball, regardless of its ineffectiveness. The coaching staff knows a lot of those boo's were for them.

The "We want Carr" chant is what got on my nerves. Carr sucks even worse.

[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Oct 11, 2010 at 06:35:50 ]
This team is so unorganized and inconsistent. Some guys play real well one week and then the other guys play like crap. So many costly turnovers and penalty's. That is a coaching issue!
  • Griz
  • Veteran
I have been watching the Niners play for 45 years and haven't missed any but a few. Because I had no way to watch them. It was the loudest booing that I can remember. Singletary needs to go! The Yorks need to hand it off to Mr. D Plain and simple.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Smith is the easy target for the fans. There were plenty of boo's after a few handoffs which of course were directed at the coaching staff for continuing to try and pound the ball, regardless of its ineffectiveness. The coaching staff knows a lot of those boo's were for them.

The "We want Carr" chant is what got on my nerves. Carr sucks even worse.

Carr would have been sacked on every play the OL is not good
Originally posted by TheCatch:
The booing should have been more directed at Singltary, and his inept team play. Not to mention Manusky and Solari. We have nothing to lose on offense, so just let Smith call some of his own plays. This team needs to ride by the seat of their pants now, as the head coach is lost, and has no answers, like he even admits. We need to get EVERYBODY we have out on that field. The fans were probably booing the same guys, making the same mistakes, but Alex was out in the open, so he got it most. We want change!!! And wins!!!

How do you answer for 5 turnovers? There is no answer for that.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
Originally posted by TheCatch:

How do you answer for 5 turnovers? There is no answer for that.

how do they only lose by 3 points after 5 turnovers and how do they lose by only 2 points after 4 turnovers and a safety to the Saints and how did they lose after getting a game winning INT at Atlanta only to fumble it away

this team could be 3-2 if they held on to the ball
Ive NEVER thought that Alex would or could be an elite QB.....BUT.....let's give him some credit. He makes a bonehead play which results in a Philly TD, then has a very lousy series, misses on 3 passes, gets loudly booed and chewed out by his coach on national TV.....and then he LOOKS GREAT on two series, both ending in TD passes. In fact, I've never seen him better. Maybe we should have traded up for Sanchez two years ago, but...NOW he's starting to play well, click with Crabtree. We need to see what the Mike Johnson/Smith combo can do. Let's have more spread formations and take it to the defense EARLY in the game. Keep Smith at QB.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Boos were the loudest Ive heard, and they were completely justified.

The team hasnt been in the playoffs since 2002 (longest streak in NFC), is still clinging to Alex Smith despite his struggles, and the coaching staff is determined not to change course.

What else are fans supposed to do ? Put a smile on their face and hope for the best ?

Changes need to be made, and if the front office is too blind to see it, then they can HEAR it by listening to disgruntled fans showing their appreciation. Alex Smith has to go, and this "We want Carr" will be a redundant theme everytime he takes the field and miscues a pass. Sing and his staff need to be ousted.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Was tonight the loudest booing that you have ever heard at Candlestick? I have been watching the 49ers since 1995, and I remember some loud boos that came out during the "Rattay Years", but I have never seen Candlestick boo someone as loud as they did Alex tonight.

I only started watching in '95 as well and don't remember hearing boos this loud. Would like to hear the responses to this as well...

I imagine the boos Steve Young got were worse though. Back then, I'm sure the fanbase was even more... electric... given how high-profile our games were at the time of the early 90s.

I don't recall anyone booing and chanting for a player by name though.

That was a disgusting display on the part of 9er fans as far as I am concerned.

Smith on the other hand to his credit said "the fans have a right to boo since they pay the costs" and also said "I don't think I could boo myself" or something to this effect.

At least this shows he gets it.

Still I don't believe that fans should have been such asses about it.

I think we are the worst by default and that's only cause we have yet to play our Division games. The Rams lost to the Lions for cryin out loud.

~Ceadder

So the fans should accept horrid QB play? What do you do if you would buy something over the internet for $100 and it was a misrepresented piece of junk, would you be happy about it and keep it or be upset and want your money back?
Who remembers the Seifert years? We were a great team, one that racked up wins. Bill Walsh had brought Vince Lombardi's 'Power Sweep" A play that started with a Chop Block on the defensive end. After the chop block was outlawed in the 90's the play didn't work as well, but we kept running it, it seemed to fail in spectacular fashion!

I believe the OC was Marc Tressman, and he just kept running it! That play got Booed pretty loudly and was always followed by chants of "no more sweep"! That got loud!

I was pretty young in the seventies, but I can remember the Booing of Nolan's dad.

If you read anything about Keazar Stadium, it will talk about the "tunnel". The tunnel the players had to enter and exit through had to be covered, because beer bottles would rain down on the players after a loss. Since both teams used the tunnel, the visitors got showered as well! Players back in the day knew to wear their helmets ALL THE WAY TO THE LOCKER ROOM!

We have a long history of Booing losers hear in SF!
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
It's the most pathetic LOSING since the Joe Thomas years of the late 70's, so it probably deserves to be booed more loudly. But the thing that's changed is that in the late 70's the team didn't have that history of excellence that we have from the 80's. Fans in the 70's were beat down and tired. They didn't boo; they got up and went home. Fans today are (rightfully) angry because they expect so much more.

The history of this team hangs over it like a cloud. The performance on the field is an affront to the memory of Bill Walsh. I can almost feel Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott shaking their heads. "What have you done to our team?"
I don't recall ever actually despising (nay...actually hating) a 49er team such as this 2010 team.

Yes - it has come down to that.
I've been a Niner fan since I was born, and although I wasn't at the game, it was definitely the loudest boo'ing I've heard on TV lol

It seems like the booing started when the Niners kept pounding Gore up the middle with no results...
Share 49ersWebzone