There are 206 users in the forums

Why dont we change to a Spread offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
why don't we have fans that understand the game?

39 passes to 19 rushes last night
most of the time Smith was in shotgun with 3 wide four wide couple times 5 wide

what more do you guys want?

this OL is not good enough to take extra blockers out of the backfield but I'm sure all of you already knew that

We had rushes up the middle on 8 straight first downs.... Each one failed irrc
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
why don't we have fans that understand the game?

39 passes to 19 rushes last night
most of the time Smith was in shotgun with 3 wide four wide couple times 5 wide

what more do you guys want?

this OL is not good enough to take extra blockers out of the backfield but I'm sure all of you already knew that

and he threw for 300 yards and 3 tds... The real point is that of those 39 passes how many came when we were playing catch up? The LAST 13 plays of the game were all passes. 20 of the last 21 - PASSES (all in the 4th quarter). The first 3 quarters... 19 passes and 18 runs.

Our first 8 first down plays were all called GORE runs (One Gore run was called back on a penalty - on first and 15 we ran out of the shotgun). That is another huge part of the problem... Gore gets stuffed on first down and now we are behind schedule... we are going to the shotgun because now down and distance determines it... not because thats how this team is the most successful. When down and distance determines your play calls... the defense knows what your doing as well and your play calls will be less effective.

So to say that the 9ers were running a spread type offense and Smith was in the shotgun with multiple receivers "most of the time" isn't accurate. We did that for ONE very successful quarter. We did it the first 3 quarters most generally when we had 2nd and 3rd and long.

Coaching is the biggest issue with this team and the coaches inability to adjust to what this team does best instead of trying to force their will on the team.
Its going to take Alex Smith to step up and demand a change along with the players. Alex can't tow the company line like last year (gotta stay balanced blah blah etc). This is it. We are 0-5 and all options need to be considered. And one option (spread offense) is the only thing we are successful at.
This should be the hottest topic on here. Last night and well seems every game it comes down to.............. NOT ALEX, NOT RAYE, NOT SING (kinda) BUT!
Spread Vs Power Run.

This team is built for the spread and it's a shame that 5 weeks now they cannot see it. Every time we go spread we march down the field and score, when we go power we go run, run, run (or occasional long 3rd down pass) and punt. We have talent but coaches need to adapt and overcome when it comes to play calling.

I would almost bet we were spread week one we would be no worse than 4-1 perhaps 5-0, the coaches just have to use the players they have to the best of their abilities and we are not doing that except when the game gets out of control. That my friends is the shame!
Because you saw what happened when Philly stopped keeping everything in front of them and began blitzing again.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by patty_t:
Has there ever been a successful spread offense in the NFL?

A lot of the best teams in the league run shotgun a majority of the time.

They absolutely do not. You are just throwing out comments.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hollywood:

this is interesting... its from a year ago, but I think it says a lot. The trend in the NFL is going to the shotgun/spread. I would like to see what percentage teams like NO, NE IND... are using the shotgun this year, I bet you would be suprised how often it is... much more than we use it.

In 2008 NE, Arizona and KC all used the shotgun MORE than 50% of the time... and since NE put up the best offensive number in NFL history that year I would guess that a lot more teams are following suit... just not the niners.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/smarterstats/2009/09/smarter-stats-covering-the-spread-shotgun.html
Well we just drafted two huge o-linemen, and pasted os small speedy backs, and receivers. Let's look at the spread.

The Spread as it is run at the college level will not work in the NFL for two main reasons.
1) The QB carries the ball to often
2) Misdirection does not fool NFL players as easily as college players.

The New England Patriots run what could be called the NFL Spread.

To run the spread, you generally use smaller quicker linemen, We just drafted two more giants.

To run the spread you need quick receivers, not big receiver able to block in the running game, Morgan, and Crabtree are a little large (Crabtree did well in the spread in college by breaking tackles on quick slants) New England's NFL Spread does not use big wide outs, because the days of big Wide Outs breaking tackles seem to be over, speed and quickness are essential, we lack that speed and quickness.

Name New England's star tight end? Thats right the spread does not feature Star Tight ends, good by Vernon Davis!

Name New England's Power Back? don't really have one do they, again quickness not power is the key to the spread, Good bye Gore and Dixon! (have you seen Frank run from the spread ugh! Gore isa power I formation back)

So lets see, if we retool our newly retooled Offensive line, Dump our start Tight end, replace our wide receiving core, and replace our Power running backs, lets see, that what 9-10 players, on offense we could properly utilize Alex Smith!

f**king great idea, lets start all over and rebuild a team around Smiths talents!

f**k guys that boat sailed 6 years ago when Nolan chose to go power over spread, EVERY personnel move we have made in the last 6 seasons has been AWAY from spread personnel!
We could and should incorporate some spread formation, with a different personnel package, say Morgan, Ginn, Williams and Ziggy, with Westbrook in the backfield.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by Hollywood:

this is interesting... its from a year ago, but I think it says a lot. The trend in the NFL is going to the shotgun/spread. I would like to see what percentage teams like NO, NE IND... are using the shotgun this year, I bet you would be suprised how often it is... much more than we use it.

In 2008 NE, Arizona and KC all used the shotgun MORE than 50% of the time... and since NE put up the best offensive number in NFL history that year I would guess that a lot more teams are following suit... just not the niners.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/smarterstats/2009/09/smarter-stats-covering-the-spread-shotgun.html

You'll notice that Detroit, Oakland, St Louis and a couple others also had high shotgun usgaeg percentage and were the least effective in the passing game when they did so. 2008 NE Patriots were the first team in NFL history to run Shotgun more than 50% of the time. Granted, they were successful, but to prove the previous posters comment wrong, there are more teams that have been ineffective, than effective according to the stats. Seems to be several different formulas when calculating the use percentage in that each source tends to have completely different numbers.

Because we may win a game by scoring too many points..
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Well we just drafted two huge o-linemen, and pasted os small speedy backs, and receivers. Let's look at the spread.

The Spread as it is run at the college level will not work in the NFL for two main reasons.

To run the spread, you generally use smaller quicker linemen, We just drafted two more giants.

To run the spread you need quick receivers, not big receiver able to block in the running game, Morgan, and Crabtree are a little large (Crabtree did well in the spread in college by breaking tackles on quick slants) New England's NFL Spread does not use big wide outs, because the days of big Wide Outs breaking tackles seem to be over, speed and quickness are essential, we lack that speed and quickness.

Name New England's star tight end? Thats right the spread does not feature Star Tight ends, good by Vernon Davis!

Name New England's Power Back? don't really have one do they, again quickness not power is the key to the spread, Good bye Gore and Dixon! (have you seen Frank run from the spread ugh! Gore isa power I formation back)

So lets see, if we retool our newly retooled Offensive line, Dump our start Tight end, replace our wide receiving core, and replace our Power running backs, lets see, that what 9-10 players, on offense we could properly utilize Alex Smith!

f**king great idea, lets start all over and rebuild a team around Smiths talents!

f**k guys that boat sailed 6 years ago when Nolan chose to go power over spread, EVERY personnel move we have made in the last 6 seasons has been AWAY from spread personnel!

Aron Hernandez is their leading reciever this year... a rookie TE from Florida. For good measure Rob Gronkowski... hasn't been too shabby as a number two TE. You really should look at what NE's TE's have done in recent years.

Randy Moss - (6'4) didn't work in New England... well except for all the catches, yards and TD's he had. DID you EVER see Crabtree at Texas Tech? He was the best WR in college football his FRESHMAN AND SOPHOMORE seasons before leaving for the NFL.

Maybe the Pats have it figured out as far as RB... you would rather have Gore run for 3 yards a carry out of the I formation? Gore can catch the ball very well... in fact right now I would argue that he is more successfull as a pass catcher than a runner right now.

How often does Tom Brady carry the ball in the Pats "NFL Spread"? How about Payton, Brees, or Warner when he was in Arizona? Or How about any Texas Tech QB (I think I can argue they have been as successful as any college team in the spread). QB doesn't HAVE to run the ball in the spread.

There are lots of flaws here... the point is simple. The 9ers offense AS IT IS is more effective in a shotgun/spread formation.
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Aron Hernandez is their leading reciever this year... a rookie TE from Florida. For good measure Rob Gronkowski... hasn't been too shabby as a number two TE. You really should look at what NE's TE's have done in recent years.

Randy Moss - (6'4) didn't work in New England... well except for all the catches, yards and TD's he had. DID you EVER see Crabtree at Texas Tech? He was the best WR in college football his FRESHMAN AND SOPHOMORE seasons before leaving for the NFL.

Maybe the Pats have it figured out as far as RB... you would rather have Gore run for 3 yards a carry out of the I formation? Gore can catch the ball very well... in fact right now I would argue that he is more successfull as a pass catcher than a runner right now.

How often does Tom Brady carry the ball in the Pats "NFL Spread"? How about Payton, Brees, or Warner when he was in Arizona? Or How about any Texas Tech QB (I think I can argue they have been as successful as any college team in the spread). QB doesn't HAVE to run the ball in the spread.

There are lots of flaws here... the point is simple. The 9ers offense AS IT IS is more effective in a shotgun/spread formation.

Sure, but to be a "Pure Spread" team I think we are ways off, should we run more spread formation? Hell yes, but I think as a team personnel wise we are more suited to a Joe Gibbs 1980's Redskin team or a Norv Turner 1990's Cowboy team than we are to a 2010 New England Patriots team.

I personally would like to see the Redskins sweep, off tackle running game. Joe Gibbs did a great job of setting the table for his "counter trey" play beat you up at the edges, get you to over commit to the point of attack, and cut it back against the grain! Classic power running football, Singletary is too stupid even to grasp this!

I used to this Sing was playing checkers while everyone else was playing chess, but now I'm pretty sure he is playing Candyland!
  • dmax
  • Veteran
WE NEED TO SPREAD IT..CMON COACHES
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by Method:
Some of us have been screaming for this since last season. It doesn't even have to be a true "spread" offense. It's painfully obvious that this offense CAN NOT win games with Sing's "vision" of run, run, and run some more. It's painfully obvious what this offense does best, but they only do it after the game is out of reach. They stick with this false hope that the "bell cow", O-line, and defense will win games.

I can understand the desire to run the ball, but Sing/Johnson have got to see what this offense does best. Otherwise, this team will continue to lose.

This. This is the MAIN ISSUE with this team right now. It's not the talent, it's the coaching.

The Niners had not one, but two guys with 100+ receiving yds. This offense is capable of doing this and more every week. Once teams start to respect the passing game, things will open up for Singletary's precious bell cow.

Makes no sense at all to me why we are not in the spread 90% of the game.

Alex has looked good EVERYTIME we've been in the spread for more then a quarter or two. It's only happened a few times in his entire career., but it's not a random occurrence at this point. Why can't we just try it for an entire game? What's the worst thing that can happen? Another loss? OH NO!!!

Sooner or later, that will be the mentality. As it is now, what does Sing really have to lose? What does Alex have to lose?

Let er rip

when alex came in for shaun hill last year in houston, they immediately put him in the spread and we flourished...the coaching staff (singletary) is too old school to do that every game.

its also funny how Crabtree and Smith both ran the shotgun spread offense in college...

It's like the coaches ignore the instances where the Offense plays well. Do they think scoring quickly is bad? I think they prefer slower drives and lower scoring games, I really do.
Share 49ersWebzone