There are 171 users in the forums

Why dont we change to a Spread offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
because Smith isn't comfortable throwing to receivers downfield and he is prone to INT's when doing so.

Gore is prone to fumbling and picking up less than three yards a carry when we don't go into the Shotgun.

I would rather have Smith in the Shotgun right now and hit players like Davis and Crabtree than continue to hand the ball off to Gore and get nothing every other play. Right now Gore looks completely washed up running the ball.
Originally posted by BleedRandG:
Look Sing, as much as you would like to run the football you have to do what works. Everytime Smith goes into the spread we do well. If we are to keep smith at the helm we must go to a spread offense. Mike Johnson put up 24 points on that scoreboard when smith is in the spread. When Sing has his way we put up 0 points. Bottom line, do what works![/quote

We should call you the name stealer. Better yet, swagger jacker!

[ Edited by BleedRednGold on Oct 11, 2010 at 03:00:57 ]
What my swagger jacker name friend is saying is that Alex is better suited for spread and he sux under any other offense.
Originally posted by skynet907:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
They don't like to spread them. They like it tight.

there is a Big Dix joke in there somewhere.

they dont like to spread it out. instead they'd rather pound the hole with big dix behind an o-line that gets no push making the holes tight and rough?

[ Edited by defenderDX on Oct 11, 2010 at 03:05:09 ]
My god ...... you want our stubborn HC big mike to change ??????? Good Luck.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by skynet907:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
They don't like to spread them. They like it tight.

there is a Big Dix joke in there somewhere.

they dont like to spread it out. instead they'd rather pound the hole with big dix behind an o-line that gets no push making the holes tight and rough?

I knew it was in there somewhere.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I've been saying this all season: Frank Gore is a great athlete -- give him the ball and he'll run it. Pass to him and he'll catch it. He can adapt.

Alex Smith unfortunately cannot. We need to put him in a position to win and stop catering to Gore. We are a better passing team than running team and it was supremely obvious tonight.

Unfortunately, our coaching staff doesn't know what "changes" are.

I would like to believe this but I think this is not the same Frank Gore as in the past. He doesn't cut it like he once did. He is unable to plant anymore always slipping nowadays. Maybe an anke situation we don't know about. All the more reason to get the other fresher back involved.
cuz our coaches must be blind. or crazy. they continue to run up the gut, waiting for something to happen. Gore gets stopped 10 times in a row, then he busts a 12 yard gain and it gives them hope, so they run it up the gut another 10 times.
Didn't we put more emphasis on the spread after Alex went in during the Houston loss last year? We went 5-5 afer that game.

We'll have success if we can limit our TO's and our defense starts to man up. We need more speed on defense and our o-line sucks balls.

I think these are our three main weaknesses:

1. Not catering to Alex's strengths
2. Lack of defensive speed
3. Oline still sucks balls o plenty
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Put Alex in the spread full time and he'll just turn the ball over even more.

Originally posted by patty_t:
Has there ever been a successful spread offense in the NFL?

colts and patriots

they both run the spread offense like on 80% of their offensive plays
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
why don't we have fans that understand the game?

39 passes to 19 rushes last night
most of the time Smith was in shotgun with 3 wide four wide couple times 5 wide

what more do you guys want?

this OL is not good enough to take extra blockers out of the backfield but I'm sure all of you already knew that
its personnel not formation

get Norris off the field and suddenly we are playing 11v11 because all the skill position players have to be accounted for, and we can get creative with our playcalls
This is the logical solution I have heard however our coaching staff is stubborn and for that they will be on their way before next year.The next time around Jed needs to buy the best money can buy and be reminded there is no cap on coaching!!!!!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
cuz our coaches must be blind. or crazy. they continue to run up the gut, waiting for something to happen. Gore gets stopped 10 times in a row, then he busts a 12 yard gain and it gives them hope, so they run it up the gut another 10 times.

This. Listening to the 1st half on the radio, I was absolutely up in arms when Ted Robinson said that we had run the ball up the middle on 8 straight 1st downs. They were putting 8 guys in the box, and the playcalling never changed.

This coaching staff will never admit that they were wrong. I'm waiting for some stupid Jim Mora-like "you guys don't look at the film; you guys don't see what we see; you think you know, but you don't, and you never will" rant.

I'm sick and tired of hearing that we're in a 3rd and long situation all the time.
Share 49ersWebzone