LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

What Singletary said to Smith!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ssc4591:
Did anybody see this article?
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/roto_arcade/post/7-on-7-More-trouble-in-SF-on-the-Island-of-Mis?urn=fantasy-276060

Even though I'm pissed, I found this hilarious.
It discusses the "conversation" that took place between Singletary and Smith.

Mike Singletary: Alex, congratulations.

Alex Smith: Coach, we're losing 24-10.

Singletary: Yeah, but that fumble was an all-timer. One of the worst individual plays in pro football history. Not merely bad, but funny-bad. It's your masterpiece.

Smith: Just tryin' to make plays, coach.

Singletary: NFL Films has spliced that thing into every blooper video they've ever produced, right between Pisarcik and Yepremian. Bleacher Report already ranked it on seven different top-10 lists. Todd Collins(notes) just texted me to say you're awful.

Smith: (Giggles, then composes self). Sorry, coach, but that Yepremian play is funny as [profane].

(High five)

Singletary: You're out of the game, Alex.

Smith: Coach, we're only down two scores! I can feel one of those binges coming, where I look like a totally legit quarterback for, like, nine minutes of game-time!

Singletary: For real? Because I've got David Carr(notes) standing over there, ready to go.

Smith: Dude, that's like picking between Thing One and Thing Two. You're not serious.

Singletary: (Makes mad face).

Smith: I dare you to put David Carr in this game.

Singletary: (Makes maddest-ever face)

Smith: They just punted, coach. There's still time. I can do this thing!

---

Would laugh but I'm to busy crying!
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
The 1st INT was due to Ginn not being a Receiver. He shouldn't even be on the field when the Offense is. He's not a good Receiver and doesn't understand when to turn around. If that was Rice, Bruce, Battle, Taylor friggin Jacobs, that wouldn't have been and Interception cause they would have turned around once they got within 10 yards of the End Zone and made a play on the ball. Instead Ginn runs pell mell to the End Zone doesn't look back and the DB does.

Good play by the DB, bad form on Ginn and Smith looks bad on a play that every QB would look like a hero by one of the aforementioned Receivers.

We have Vernon and Crabtree for the outroutes and Ziggy can take the intermediate and Morgan and Gore can take Dumpoff and shallow routes. Ginn doesn't need to be on that field at that time. Solid returner. Sh!tty option at Receiver.

~Ceadder

Yep, it had nothing to do with the ball being underthrown.
Go back and look at the play again. It was not underthrown. It was right where it gave Ginn a chance to go up for the ball and make a play, but he didn't. Throw that same ball up to Morgan and he will at least knock it down if not catch. Too bad Morgan doesn't have Ginn's speed.

It should have been thrown over the top, not where Ginn would have to go up and fight for the ball. He isn't Larry Fitzgerald and Smith knows this.

When a receiver is streaking and has to stop, turn around and try to get a jump ball, it's an underthrown pass.

I'm not saying Ginn doesn't deserve some blame, but that ball was not accurate, either.
Ginn's performance on that pass was an example of why Miami cut him. He had a chance to make a play but didn't. Period.

Quarterbacks rarely throw perfect passes 50 yards down the field, even if their first name if Peyton. A receiver has a job to do. He can't expect the ball to fall into his front pocket on every throw.

Like I said, I'm not saying Ginn doesn't deserve some blame, but the underthrown ball is the primary reason it was intercepted.
The pass was not underthrown. It was thrown toward the sideline while Ginn was on the inside. If there was a mistake, it was that is should have been on the inside, not the outside, but it wasn't underthrown.

So if we want to talk about technique; ideally the receiver would have the inside of the field if there is no safety coming over to help. If there is safety help, the receiver would try to get to the sideline and force the CB to allow him space to catch the ball while using the CB to shield off safety help.

All of this assumes both QB and WR make the same read. In this case we don't know that answer but we do know that Ginn, with his speed should have been able to get enough space to look back and play the ball. Ginn did none of that and the DB made the pick.

In summary, Smith made the kind of throw everyone here, as well as Steve Young, said he should make. Put it up and let the receiver make a play. In that situation, the WR MUST MAKE A PLAY ON THE BALL TO EITHER CATCH IT OR PREVENT THE DB FROM DOING SO. Ginn didn't.

Though Morgan doesn't have great speed, in that particular situation we have seen him either make the catch or know it down. That is what should have happened.

I'm sorry but Smith gets a pass on that throw. Not on some of the others but he does on that throw.

Smith threw that off his back foot.

Not only was it mis placed, it was underthrown and had too much loft.

It was more of a bad throw by the QB than lack of effort by the WR.
The 1st INT was due to Ginn not being a Receiver. He shouldn't even be on the field when the Offense is. He's not a good Receiver and doesn't understand when to turn around. If that was Rice, Bruce, Battle, Taylor friggin Jacobs, that wouldn't have been and Interception cause they would have turned around once they got within 10 yards of the End Zone and made a play on the ball. Instead Ginn runs pell mell to the End Zone doesn't look back and the DB does.

Good play by the DB, bad form on Ginn and Smith looks bad on a play that every QB would look like a hero by one of the aforementioned Receivers.

We have Vernon and Crabtree for the outroutes and Ziggy can take the intermediate and Morgan and Gore can take Dumpoff and shallow routes. Ginn doesn't need to be on that field at that time. Solid returner. Sh!tty option at Receiver.

~Ceadder

Go back and look at the play again. It was not underthrown. It was right where it gave Ginn a chance to go up for the ball and make a play, but he didn't. Throw that same ball up to Morgan and he will at least knock it down if not catch. Too bad Morgan doesn't have Ginn's speed.

It should have been thrown over the top, not where Ginn would have to go up and fight for the ball. He isn't Larry Fitzgerald and Smith knows this.

When a receiver is streaking and has to stop, turn around and try to get a jump ball, it's an underthrown pass.

I'm not saying Ginn doesn't deserve some blame, but that ball was not accurate, either.
Ginn's performance on that pass was an example of why Miami cut him. He had a chance to make a play but didn't. Period.

Quarterbacks rarely throw perfect passes 50 yards down the field, even if their first name if Peyton. A receiver has a job to do. He can't expect the ball to fall into his front pocket on every throw.

Like I said, I'm not saying Ginn doesn't deserve some blame, but the underthrown ball is the primary reason it was intercepted.
The pass was not underthrown. It was thrown toward the sideline while Ginn was on the inside. If there was a mistake, it was that is should have been on the inside, not the outside, but it wasn't underthrown.

So if we want to talk about technique; ideally the receiver would have the inside of the field if there is no safety coming over to help. If there is safety help, the receiver would try to get to the sideline and force the CB to allow him space to catch the ball while using the CB to shield off safety help.

All of this assumes both QB and WR make the same read. In this case we don't know that answer but we do know that Ginn, with his speed should have been able to get enough space to look back and play the ball. Ginn did none of that and the DB made the pick.

In summary, Smith made the kind of throw everyone here, as well as Steve Young, said he should make. Put it up and let the receiver make a play. In that situation, the WR MUST MAKE A PLAY ON THE BALL TO EITHER CATCH IT OR PREVENT THE DB FROM DOING SO. Ginn didn't.

Though Morgan doesn't have great speed, in that particular situation we have seen him either make the catch or know it down. That is what should have happened.

I'm sorry but Smith gets a pass on that throw. Not on some of the others but he does on that throw.

I'd ask you to explain how it wasn't underthrown, but I'd get a bunch of babble just like this.

Bottom line, Ginn is streaking to the end zone. He would have had to stop, turn around and come back a few yards to make that play. And that's not an underthrown ball? OK.

If you think that play was designed to have Ginn going up with a defender to snatch the ball out of the air, you need help.

Who needs the help? where have you been the last 5 years of pro football? Teams toss it up one on one every stinking game and multiple times at that! And you know why? case they have wr's who know how to go after the ball.

How many times have you watched a game where Farve, Brady, Manning, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, or any other qb lob a pass deep into coverage only to watch as the wr makes the catch. Wr's are always saying they are open cause they have the mindset that any ball in the air is their's. In these cases the qb trusts his wr to make a play on the ball-period! If any of those other qb's throws that ball and their wr don't make a play, that qb would be pissed as all get out. And by the way, I'm sure your not like the posters that always complained that Alex never top deep and always checked it down?
All i gotta say is Sing better pick a new QB. Throw in Nate Davis for all i care. Right now, i would take tim rattay over alex smith...
  • dj43

~Ceadder

I'd ask you to explain how it wasn't underthrown, but I'd get a bunch of babble just like this.

Bottom line, Ginn is streaking to the end zone. He would have had to stop, turn around and come back a few yards to make that play. And that's not an underthrown ball? OK.

If you think that play was designed to have Ginn going up with a defender to snatch the ball out of the air, you need help.
Go watch the play again and then watch about a half dozen other games from yesterday in which wide receivers do exactly what I just described and then get back to me.
Originally posted by Brew:
Wait so Alex is the one that wanted to come out?

That's not true. I read lips too. Sing said We're behind 24 to 10 and I gotta... camera panned to something else.

So we don't know the FULL story.

I have a feeling Sing was gonna throw the hook on Smith but Smith got pissed and started yelling at Sing(this we DID see) and told him that he could still play.

Now this I believe. The boobirds were out in full force like Smith crapped on somebodies kid at the 50 and the game was his fault when it wasn't. I think Smith finally stuck up for himself. He was pissed and I don't blame him. It was a stupid mistake that gave up 7 but to that point look at how solid he was playing the game.

Frank put the ball down twice and everyone boos Alex. That;s f@ckin stupid imho.

If our Defense could stop a gang of school kids from scoring on their baby sister Alex would not be in the position of having to comeback from even a 7 point deficit. But that sh!t is lost on the "Faithful".

He gave up 7. The Defense gave up 14. Why are we pissed at Smith today? Oh I forgot when you're drafted 1st overall you have to be Montana and Young all rolled into one and have to keep the Opposing Offense from scoring too.

~Ceadder

Geeze! Dude give it up already!! Your boy sucks! it's not Gore its HIM and his 9 INT'S! He is a turnover fricken machine with ZERO nutz!
From what Steve Young's theory was about Smith, Singletary should have coddled him and told him not to worry and sling the ball because Smith tightens up if theres too much pressure on him to play a certain way.

Steve Young just got proven wrong. Smith doesn't tighten up because of the coach, he just makes bad decisions period. It's more than a trend now.

~Ceadder

Go watch the play again and then watch about a half dozen other games from yesterday in which wide receivers do exactly what I just described and then get back to me.

As the announcer correctly pointed out on the Ginn interception, Vernon Davis underneath was probably his best option. That still doesn't change the fact that Smith can't rely on his WR to make a play, which is what he needed there. I've seen Brady chuck it up like that, only to have Moss snatch it and score. Hell, later in the game Kolb chucked one up in a similar manner as Smith's Ginn pass, only Jeremy Maclin made the adjustment and caught it.

That interception wasn't only Smith's fault...
Originally posted by bzborow1:

~Ceadder

As the announcer correctly pointed out on the Ginn interception, Vernon Davis underneath was probably his best option. That still doesn't change the fact that Smith can't rely on his WR to make a play, which is what he needed there. I've seen Brady chuck it up like that, only to have Moss snatch it and score. Hell, later in the game Kolb chucked one up in a similar manner as Smith's Ginn pass, only Jeremy Maclin made the adjustment and caught it.

Huge difference between the Kolb play. Kolb throw was to a WR and only one DB whereas Smith threw it to near double coverage and off his back foot.

Also, let's not over look the root cause of this repetitive issue: "Vernon Davis underneath was probably his best option."

Poor reads.
Singletary: What's wrong with you Alex? You're playing like Betty White out there!

Alex: Tired..Got no energy

Singletary: Here's a Snickers.

Touchdown Smith!

• ZRF80

~Ceadder

Isnt is alarming ? Most fans spend time on forums dissecting their QBs' touchdown passes, and how their guy was able to read defenses and find an open receiver.

You guys, on the other hand, have spent countless threads breaking down and defending Alex's picks. It's never the throw; always the receiver. They couldve knocked it down, they couldve ran the correct route, they couldve adjusted their bodies, etc. etc.

If we could go back and count all the "mistakes" by receivers on Alex's picks, he would only have 1 or 2 picks his entire career.

The sad part is that you dont notice the irony in all this.
Originally posted by Joecool:

~Ceadder

Huge difference between the Kolb play. Kolb throw was to a WR and only one DB whereas Smith threw it to near double coverage and off his back foot.

Also, let's not over look the root cause of this repetitive issue: "Vernon Davis underneath was probably his best option."

Poor reads.

Dude Ted ginn was not double covered. Even Collinsworth pointed out that basically Ginn was being Ginn not really trying.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

~Ceadder

Poor reads.
Let's also not overlook the fact that Vernon Davis is not always a reliable receiver in terms of the routes he runs and his consistency on hot reads. On the fumble play, Smith looked first at Davis, who television replays showed Davis wasn't even looking back at Smith on time. Smith subsequently was forced out of the pocket and fumbled. Smith's fault for fumbling but Davis is to blame for not looking back on a timing play.

EDIT: The failure of Davis to look back on time is an example of one of the many details that are not being looked after by this team. Such was noted in an article linked on the home page. It reflects on poor coaching.

[ Edited by dj43 on Oct 11, 2010 at 12:47:03 ]
Originally posted by ZRF80:

~Ceadder

Isnt is alarming ? Most fans spend time on forums dissecting their QBs' touchdown passes, and how their guy was able to read defenses and find an open receiver.

You guys, on the other hand, have spent countless threads breaking down and defending Alex's picks. It's never the throw; always the receiver. They couldve knocked it down, they couldve ran the correct route, they couldve adjusted their bodies, etc. etc.

If we could go back and count all the "mistakes" by receivers on Alex's picks, he would only have 1 or 2 picks his entire career.

The sad part is that you dont notice the irony in all this.

That's why we should put in Carr. All of his INTs were because Andre Johnson didn't make the proper play on it.

~Ceadder

Give it up . . . logic doesn't win over obstinacy.

If I recall the pass . . . absolutely, it was underthrown. Not the variety where the receiver "goes up and gets it". It's laughable to say that; it wasn't thrown high enough. Acrobatic plays are not Ginn's forte, but even so, it's a bit absurd to assign him fault. He would have had to stop, come back and go through at least one defender (offensive pass interference?) to make a play on the ball. At best he MIGHT have tried jarring the ball out of the defender's grasp.

Anyway, it wasn't so disasterous. More like a great punt. Pinned the Eagles on their 3 yard line. The defense couldn't make anything of it.

Smith surprised me with some of his throws. Meaning they were better than I expected. But, really . . . I don't think that he's the solution to what the team needs at QB.

I disagree with some posters: After the HC, Front office, Smith IS the team's biggest problem. Then there are others.
Share 49ersWebzone