LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. Oakland Raiders)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Chief:
Patrick Willis is still missing in action, lucky Spikes and Lawson have stepped up their game.

I agree. Both had very nice games. I thought it was interesting to see the Raiders LT keeping step-for-step pace with Spikes after the pick. But I suppose that shouldn't be suprising, O-linemen may not be fast, but they are quick.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
BENCH CHILO RACHAL

BENCH CHILO RACHAL

BENCH CHILO RACHAL

BENCH CHILO RACHAL

Sorry. I'm just shocked that this guy is still on the field. How many times did they get through past him today? At least 5 times. AT LEAST.

Staley was godawful today too

Kind of becoming a trend with him and he is signed through 2016
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
PLAY WESTBROOK AND DIXON MORE!!!

JEEBUS!!! Is it too hard to understand?????

definitely agree with this. Westbrook can still contribute. He needs to be planned to get 5-10 touches a game. Dixon really has some playmaking skills. Teams don't seem prepared for him when he comes in. I loved Gore's effort and heart today, but we need to work all the backs in. It will keep everyone fresh and keep the D on its toes. I think we would see more long gains by Gore if he got a little more rest throughout the game.

Completely agree. We need to give teams way more variation!
Oline played like SHIAT! Dixon and Westbrook need to be on the field more often. Bench Morgan for Zeigler PLEASE!!! I like the first play of the game I just wish it wasn't to Morgan and his "it didn't fall directly in my hands while I have my eyes closed so I'm not going to make an attempt" mentality. The Play calling looked like the second coming of Jimmy Raye at times. Singletary really needs to have some killer instincts because he goes way to conservative any time the 49ers get the slightest lead. The offense needs to get Davis and Crabtree active in the game from the start.

It was nice for the defense to finally show up and make some plays. I just wish it wasn't till after the 49ers got in the endzone. It seemd like their mentality was "f**k it why bother, the offense isn't doing their job so why should we."

The refs are blind as hell! That was a safety and those intentional grounding calls were very suspect especially that second one.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
BENCH CHILO RACHAL

BENCH CHILO RACHAL

BENCH CHILO RACHAL

BENCH CHILO RACHAL

Sorry. I'm just shocked that this guy is still on the field. How many times did they get through past him today? At least 5 times. AT LEAST.

Staley was godawful today too

Kind of becoming a trend with him and he is signed through 2016

Yeah, I'm really surprised. I thought he would really be a rock. I dunno if it's Iupati next to him and him having to worry about letting a guy inside or what, but Staley had a rough day. Two big holding calls, too. But let's still not stray from the FACT that Chilo Rachal is an absolute joke of an offensive "mauler." Dude sucks!!
In spite of everything, they won. So now we will see if we can win game number 2 next week. All the cliches one game at a time. I believe that we are capable of winning every game on the rest of our schedule including Green Bay and San Diego. If the Rams can beat San Diego then we can certainly do that as well.

But the most important part of the whole game is that we won. Now we need the second game to convince us that we can win and that we can do things to prepare for the win, like reduce penalties, shake up the oline, better play calling, more agrresive offense, etc etc. But today we won, congratulations guys.
No turnovers won the game for us. It lost us the Saints and Falcons games.

They need to put Westbrook, Dixon, and Ginn in on offense more.

Crabs had another nice game.

Good play by our defense.
Ugly game, no doubt about it.

What was encouraging was to see the team fight through the early struggles and pull out the victory. They needed this as much for their own self confidence, as anything else. The fact that it was the Raiders, who played one of the ugliest games of football I have see in while(that's saying something considering what we have witnessed over the first 5 weeks) does not take away from the fact, that the players really needed this victory.

The defense got some pressure, and some turnovers, and in my view, won this game for us. I think on the first two drives, the game could have swung wildly the other way, had we not held them to field goals. Spikes, Smith, and Lawson all played very solid games. I still think something is wrong with Willis. He's hurt imo.

The offense was... Well it was downright awful for a while. I was beginning to wonder if Sing was finally going to bench Alex.

You could see the attempted creativity sometimes from Mike Johnson's play calling, however, opening the game with play-action was a little too big of an attempt. You have to set these things up. Just as he later did, on Davis's TD. The defense bit on the run, as it was hurting them at that point. He's not a polished playcaller, that is obvious, but it seems there has been consistent progress in a short period, which is encouraging for this team to say the least.

Davis and Crabtree both were involved, and thank god! THAT is the key to the running game. It's so freaking obvious, or it should be anyway. If we don't attack safeties who creep the line on us, we can expect the run, and the pass game to suffer. Today, we actually made some adjustments, and it was refreshing to see.

Turnovers. We had none. No big secret how important that was.

Penalties were a major problem. This is not a disciplined team. I think the reason is obvious and it leads me into my next point...

My biggest problems with today's game, come from the coaching staff. From not enough players, or too many players on the field, to having tantrums on the sideline, or not challenging a play which would have given us points, and the ball.

I think the reason we have a season full of turnovers, and penaties, and plays where we shoot ourselves in the foot, come down to the players being a reflection of the coaching staff.

Singletary preaches humility, discipline, and control, yet he shows none of those qualities more often than not. You can tell your team it can't lose it's cool in pressure situations, but we all see him do it, time, and time, and time again...

I am happy for the victory, but I also see it for what it was, a positive "baby step" for a team that badly needed some form of forward momentum.
Originally posted by miked1978:
No turnovers won the game for us. It lost us the Saints and Falcons games.

They need to put Westbrook, Dixon, and Ginn in on offense more.

Crabs had another nice game.

Good play by our defense.
1.the raiders' offense was worse than ours.
2.but it wasnt worse than ours only because of it's limitation but also b/c of our D which played terrific today. especially the run D played with the same success like last year. u can say a lot about campbell and his (dis)abilites but the raiders' running game was very efficient this year and we stopped it.
3.no turnovers, sth new for me this year
4.too many penalties. fortunately they didnt kill us.
5.the playcalling was at least better than against the eagles.
6.we have to use our offensive alternatives. westbrook, dixon, zeigler, walker, byham and so on.
7.plz put snyder in for rachal and heitmann back at center. eric was the only constant lineman last year and i think he would be a huge upgrade over baas.

[ Edited by communist on Oct 17, 2010 at 16:58:38 ]
It certainly wasn't the cleanest game of the year, as the 49ers committed 11 penalties for 143 yards. Nonetheless, a win is a win.

Of course, the defining factor in the game was Jason Campbell's pathetic 10.6 passer rating (no, that's not a typo).

[ Edited by skynet907 on Oct 17, 2010 at 17:02:42 ]

I must say with past performances from this team I didnt think they would be able to win a close game. I figured the only chance for our first win would have been when the stars aligned and went our way for a blow out. So props to the team for finally doing something I didnt believe they could do anymore. Finally I wont be embarassed to go to work.

While I'm here is Westbrook signed to just a one year deal? If its one this guy is bolting cause he is being treated worse than a rookie
A win is a win, and we needed one, but it was ugly. Really ugly.
Another disappointing performance.

Heitmann and Snyder were the two best OL today.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

dude I just spit red bull out of my nose it burns it burns!!!!!
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

dude I just spit red bull out of my nose it burns it burns!!!!!

Feel the burn!

Cheers.
One final note:

If we ever find out that aliens want to invade our planet, we've got send them this game tape. That should end THAT threat.

This just on from CBS News: Game tape of the Niners-Raiders game has just been sent to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Authorities claim that it will be continually looped to the leftover terrorists who attacked our forces overseas. Amnesty International has already filed a complaint at the International Court of Justice over what they call a "clear violation of human rights, and cruel and unusual punishment".

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 17, 2010 at 17:36:27 ]
Share 49ersWebzone