LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

Singletary:Short fuse and short leash

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Of course the team insider isn't going to say that Smith will lose it's job. That goes without saying. At any moment it could be Smiths last snap as a 49er. If he keeps playing like a dumba$$ it will be sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
And yet Alex Smith lives on. Man we're dumb.

I agree, but it's worth mentioning that there's really no realistic alternative to either this season.

There should be there was absolutely no reason why we don't go trade for Donovan McNabb in the off-season, no excuse no reasoning. We f'ed up big time.

I agree, but it's worth mentioning that there's really no realistic alternative to either this season.

True.

Smart people/organizations always have a backup plan, but unfortunately, we are stuck with both these guys for the rest of the year.
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
Originally posted by marls:
I guess most on the webzone don't really follow football, spoiled by Montana and Young, under Walsh. We definitely don't have that situation but, what team does? Smith is a young QB, he is not the problem, he is not holding this team back. Who knows what he'll develop into but I'd hardly give up on him at this point. I have seen improvement from Smith on a weekly basis, but he isn't going to perfect on every play. You morons are ready to start a witch hunt and run someone out of town. I'm not saying we don't have problems as a team but you can't pin it on one guy. Sheesh... Let's hope we can get a W tonight and get the season back on track. If we do make a run this year all you Smith/ Singletary bashers can then go root for the raiders.

really? improvement weekly??? he cant even throw a 5 yard dump pass accurately...he sucks .bad.open your eyes man!!!!

As I said... root for the raiders then. Can't throw a 5 yard dump off? What happened to the nickname "Captain Checkdown". I understand the fan base is salty, Iam too at 0 & 4... But 90 percent of this board doesn't know anything about football. Smith isn't the problem... We'll see tonight.

he is capt checkdown! and half the time cant even do it right..."go root for the raiders" thats a good argument...you APPARANTLY dont know anything about football

yea... really smart. Proving my point. By saying he sucks your now a football genius. Whos going to be on your witch hunt after Smitty? Put Nate Davis in, ha. That'll take about 2 weeks . This board is really pathetic at the moment.

at least i give a reason for why he sucks...so where are your reasons for why he is so good??? he does suck, that is a FACT!!! like i said open your eyes man...do u even watch the games???

"Smith has completed just 1 of 11 throws going at least 21 yards down the field" http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_eagles_49ers-4795584

16th completion % (61.6),
15th in total yds (920),
27th avg yds per pass (6.1),
16th yds per game (230),
25th in TDs (3),
1st in INTs (7 tied w/shaun hill ),
25th 20+ yd passes (7),
27th in QB rating (66.1),
11th most in sacks (8)

NFL.com

[ Edited by bakefootball on Oct 10, 2010 at 11:15:32 ]
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
I heard Alex Smith is 10-27 when the defense allows more than 10 points in a game.

I count 10-22; but, I'm only counting games he started and played the majority of time in...

I didn't verify it with a link so you might be right. 10-22 is pretty sad.

At some point, if we keep losing, we have to throw in Troy Smith or Nate Davis just to see what the young guys can do
Originally posted by 49ersking:

True.

Smart people/organizations always have a backup plan, but unfortunately, we are stuck with both these guys for the rest of the year.

I agree: not having a backup plan is a fiasco waiting to happen.

But given our feckless management, this season might be one of those exceedingly rare examples of when it makes sense to fly without a parachute. After wasting an entire half-decade on Smith, one would hope that by the end of this parachute-less season even our pusillanimous ownership will acknowledge that there's no point in prolonging Smith's failure to develop into a competent QB.
Originally posted by rawdel:

At some point, if we keep losing, we have to throw in Troy Smith or Nate Davis just to see what the young guys can do

I agree, but not until Smith has made it crystal clear that he has no business being a Niner. I especailly agree about Davis, there's a real danger that he might develop into a Smith-like "just one more year" sorta project. Assuming the season continues to tank, we might as well roll out Davis in December and decide what, if anything, can be done with him.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I guess most on the webzone don't really follow football, spoiled by Montana and Young, under Walsh. We definitely don't have that situation but, what team does? Smith is a young QB, he is not the problem, he is not holding this team back. Who knows what he'll develop into but I'd hardly give up on him at this point. I have seen improvement from Smith on a weekly basis, but he isn't going to perfect on every play. You morons are ready to start a witch hunt and run someone out of town. I'm not saying we don't have problems as a team but you can't pin it on one guy. Sheesh... Let's hope we can get a W tonight and get the season back on track. If we do make a run this year all you Smith/ Singletary bashers can then go root for the raiders.

YOUNG QUARTERBACK?!!

YOUNG QUARTERBACK?!!

The average NFL CAREER is 4 1/2 years. Smith is a 6th year veteran!

Get off the "young quarterback" excuse! It's old and tired!
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
If his winless 49ers don't win one of the next two to three games, Singletary might be the next one removed from the premises, according to a team source familiar with the tenuous situation.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/09/SP231FQFSQ.DTL#ixzz11wH7ANqVhttp://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/09/SP231FQFSQ.DTL

PRAISE JESUS

really? improvement weekly??? he cant even throw a 5 yard dump pass accurately...he sucks .bad.open your eyes man!!!!

As I said... root for the raiders then. Can't throw a 5 yard dump off? What happened to the nickname "Captain Checkdown". I understand the fan base is salty, Iam too at 0 & 4... But 90 percent of this board doesn't know anything about football. Smith isn't the problem... We'll see tonight.

Just back from Candlestick and my friend, it just might be you that knows absolutely nothing about football.
  • marls
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Califm5:

Just back from Candlestick and my friend, it just might be you that knows absolutely nothing about football.

Not to fan flames as that one hurt last night but, you are a fool. If your expecting Smith to all of a sudden be Joe Montana, your an idiot. Let me also say neither is Nate Davis, or David Carr or anyone else including Payton Manning.

I do see improvement in Smith, and he actually probably would of won us that game last night if our oline held up. The fumble was bad but, they always are. No one has any patience because of the hype this year and 0 & 5 is totally unacceptable but I can see this team turning the corner. There are very few teams that turn that corner overnight. I think out biggest problem is the rookies on the oline, they will get better and better, but these things take time. A. Davis, who caused the last int, is only 20.

Unfortunately 0 & 5 is a tough hole to climb out of but if we totally rebuild, it's going to take a lot longer. If chucky is an option at the end of the year, I'd like that, but let's get to the end of the year first. Dynasties are not built overnight. Have faith people!

Share 49ersWebzone