LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

NFL Playbook: How the 49ers lost at ATL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I didn't understand why Nate even slowed down in the 1st place. If he were running in full stride and cut it inside he would have ran right in to the end zone. Man the niners cb's were just playing way to soft. Ryan made some nice throws on that last drive. Oh well on to the next one.
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
i find interesting reading right now--Greg Manusky telling Matt Barrows about Clements play---Go score, go score--try for the TD--that is what I would do!

Then listening to that Steve Young interview someone posted yesterday--Young said talking about that Clements play---the little things in the game--he learned so much from watching Montana--who did all the little things correctly--he knew exactly what the proper thing to do is--in regards to the score--the time left in a game etc etc.
Young said a true professional takes a professional attitude to his position and knows all the factors--all the little things that translates into a winning team--and these leaders enforce this mindset and attention to detail on all the other players.

Exactly. And Nate Clements showed that he isn't a great player by any stretch of the imagination with what he demonstrated this past Sunday. Plays like that are inexcusable. He is a ten year veteran and the 49ers had their first win in his hands.
i find interesting reading right now--Greg Manusky telling Matt Barrows about Clements play---Go score, go score--try for the TD--that is what I would do!

Then listening to that Steve Young interview someone posted yesterday--Young said talking about that Clements play---the little things in the game--he learned so much from watching Montana--who did all the little things correctly--he knew exactly what the proper thing to do is--in regards to the score--the time left in a game etc etc.
Young said a true professional takes a professional attitude to his position and knows all the factors--all the little things that translates into a winning team--and these leaders enforce this mindset and attention to detail on all the other players.

Spikes summed it up best yesterday. He said there was still a minute left, ATL had 3 timeouts and their offense hasn't scored since the first drive. The idea was to put it away right then and not allow for a possible 3 and out and give ATL another chance.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Spikes summed it up best yesterday. He said there was still a minute left, ATL had 3 timeouts and their offense hasn't scored since the first drive. The idea was to put it away right then and not allow for a possible 3 and out and give ATL another chance.

If Clements runs out at the ten, we have a chance to score a TD, and if we don't accomplish that, we'll at least force ATL to burn all of their TOs. Then, Nedney could kick in a chipshot and the 49ers would only have to prevent the Falcons from scoring a TD with less than a minute and no timeouts.

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Oct 7, 2010 at 13:23:59 ]
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Joecool:

i saw that fumble coming the whole time--you just knew it---clements mind was oblivious to whomever was behind him.

you go down at the 20---you have a sure FG---run, run, run--make atlanta use their timeouts--kick the FG--go up 17-13--kick off with 1 minute left--the odds are very high you win---it is possible to lose yes---i saw Siefert do this and lose to Green bay and Favre--but that was a FG i think--not a TD Green Bay won with.

If Clements runs out at the ten, we have a chance to score a TD, and if we don't accomplish that, we'll at least force ATL to burn all of their TOs. Then, Nedney could kick in a chipshot and the 49ers would only have to prevent the Falcons from scoring a TD with less than a minute and no timeouts.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by susweel:
fumble with 1 minute left

Int's that killed good drives.

fumble cost us the game, if we don't turn it over we win

The fumble was a fluke play and besides we still had a chance to stop them and we didnt.

very true but if he kept the ball we win, and we didn't

Clements' interception and subsequent fumble was a defining play.

The defense had just allowed 38 yards spanning 2:09 and then proceeded to sprint an additional 39 yards downfield before Clements fumbled. I can't fault the defense, Greg Manusky or Alex Smith for the lack of energy on the Falcons' second drive.

The loss sits squarely on Clements' shoulders.
I posted something to the above--but it didn't post.

The Niners with a 17-13 lead and no atlanta timeouts and have to score a TD---I like my chances!

if Clements wants to keep running---protect that football with two hands and look behind you and see what is coming! This is rocket science.
I'm actually quite bothered by Manusky's comments about Clements doing the right thing. While I'm not a fan of coaches throwing their players under the bus, I would like to hear Manusky say that he didn't do a good enough job of having his players prepared for every in-game situation. I'm starting to think Manusky is as much a part of the problem as he is of the solution...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by redrathman:

The fumble was a fluke play and besides we still had a chance to stop them and we didnt.

The defense had just allowed 38 yards spanning 2:09 and then proceeded to sprint an additional 39 yards downfield before Clements fumbled. I can't fault the defense, Greg Manusky or Alex Smith for the lack of energy on the Falcons' second drive.

No way was it all Clements' shoulders. Dude made an outstanding Int and almost ran it back. Yes he fumbled away the game but at least the Falcons were pinned back deep in their territory. The defense still had a chance to stop them and they didnt.

Alex Smith's poor play were the reason that we couldn't score more then 7 points on offense. This last loss was more reflection of the poor play from Alex then anything else. Only scoring 7 points on offense is the number 1 reason we lost that game. Only scoring 7 points on offense you deserve to lose the game.

No way was it all Clements' shoulders. Dude made an outstanding Int and almost ran it back. Yes he fumbled away the game but at least the Falcons were pinned back deep in their territory. The defense still had a chance to stop them and they didnt.

Alex Smith's poor play were the reason that we couldn't score more then 7 points on offense. This last loss was more reflection of the poor play from Alex then anything else. Only scoring 7 points on offense is the number 1 reason we lost that game. Only scoring 7 points on offense you deserve to lose the game.

You can't say, "Alex, Alex, Alex" whenever the blame needs to be placed somewhere. On Smith's first INT, the coaches have said Vernon didn't run the right route and put Smith in a bad spot as he was the go-to option. And then on a third down conversion late in the game, Morgan didn't make the catch when he should have. Yes, Smith had fault in the game and was too hesitant to let go of the deeper passes, but other guys share the blame with him.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

You can't say, "Alex, Alex, Alex" whenever the blame needs to be placed somewhere. On Smith's first INT, the coaches have said Vernon didn't run the right route and put Smith in a bad spot as he was the go-to option. And then on a third down conversion late in the game, Morgan didn't make the catch when he should have. Yes, Smith had fault in the game and was too hesitant to let go of the deeper passes, but other guys share the blame with him.

Of course they do, but the number one reason we lost is because Alex Smith was our QB.

Of course they do, but the number one reason we lost is because Alex Smith was our QB.

Are you sure? How do you think Smith would have done had he been in shotgun with his receivers spread out all game, just as they were in the final drive against the Saints? I'd say Singletary was the biggest reason we lost, followed by Clement's late fumble, followed by Smith's hesitancy and two crucial interceptions, followed by the defense's inability to get a stop at the end, especially after having Atlanta at 3rd and 10 inside their own 10 yard line.

Vernon not running a hot route caused Alex Smith to turn retard on us and throw that INT to Gore? I've heard it all now.

[ Edited by Leathaface on Oct 7, 2010 at 14:30:46 ]

We were winning at the end of the game and ATL drove down the field twice, not his fault in that situation. If we would of held them or the ball (Clements) we would of won the game, that was the fault of the D.

Nate fumbling and giving them the ball back allowed them to take the lead, and was why we lost.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Are you sure? How do you think Smith would have done had he been in shotgun with his receivers spread out all game, just as they were in the final drive against the Saints? I'd say Singletary was the biggest reason we lost, followed by Clement's late fumble, followed by Smith's hesitancy and two crucial interceptions, followed by the defense's inability to get a stop at the end, especially after having Atlanta at 3rd and 10 inside their own 10 yard line.

Those were all factors but Alex was the number one reason. If you put 20 other starting QBs on our team, I bet we score more then 7 points on offense.
Share 49ersWebzone