LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

Heitmann/Baas...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Despite Heitmann being off the injury report, it appears Singletary is reluctant to put him back at Center. I think this might be another growing controversy here...Heitmann has been the only real stable guy on the line in recent years, he goes down, and Mike is now reluctant to say the spot is his. It sounds like he's going to bat for the wrong players - why defending Rachal with comments like, "the spot was won in camp", yet go the complete opposite with Heitmann...This has the potential to be another Michael Lewis type of situation in the near future.
Going to take Heitman a little time to get back into the swing of things and get into football shape.
who gives a flaying f**k , we are going to lose , we are 0-4 Need new HC and QB !
nice OL depth. It'll come in handy later in the season fo sho.
I like Heitmann. Probably not as physically gifted as Baas, but he's smart and has a solid veteran presence on the line. And he doesn't snap balls into the clouds and cause safety's either...
I wouldn't believe anything Singletary says about player personnel matters, coaching, anything. He has shown himself to be the most unpredictable, unreliable, unstable coach in recent memory. The double-talk, game-playing, change of mind at the last minute shows that he has no idea what he is doing.

We will know the truth when the players run onto the field. Any speculating before the game starts is a lesson in insanity with Singletary.

What I will say is that it would be insane to have Heitmann sit the bench if he is healthy. This team needs some leadership, and last I checked, Heitmann continues to wear a C on his jersey, and the team is 0-4 without him, in one of the worst offenses. To keep the Baas/Rachal combo would be stupidity, but it doesn't look like we are dealing with a rocket scientist in Singletary.

Heitmann is A. Smith's security blanket. Even Raye stated that Heitmann is the "second QB on the team". Make Smith comfortable, get him his regular center under him, and let's get this thing righted.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I wouldn't believe anything Singletary says about player personnel matters, coaching, anything. He has shown himself to be the most unpredictable, unreliable, unstable coach in recent memory. The double-talk, game-playing, change of mind at the last minute shows that he has no idea what he is doing.

We will know the truth when the players run onto the field. Any speculating before the game starts is a lesson in insanity with Singletary.

What I will say is that it would be insane to have Heitmann sit the bench if he is healthy. This team needs some leadership, and last I checked, Heitmann continues to wear a C on his jersey, and the team is 0-4 without him, in one of the worst offenses. To keep the Baas/Rachal combo would be stupidity, but it doesn't look like we are dealing with a rocket scientist in Singletary.

Heitmann is A. Smith's security blanket. Even Raye stated that Heitmann is the "second QB on the team". Make Smith comfortable, get him his regular center under him, and let's get this thing righted.

He said that in terms of the position. Right now, the only weak link appears to be at RG in terms of expected production. Eric would be a viable replacement unless Snyder keeps playing well.
  • dj43

The obvious move is to put Heitmann at center and Baas at RG. I believe a portion of the OL problems, especially on blitz pickups, has been Baas' relative lack of experience.
Originally posted by dj43:

The obvious move is to put Heitmann at center and Baas at RG. I believe a portion of the OL problems, especially on blitz pickups, has been Baas' relative lack of experience.

If it has been baas' experience, then the pass rush would be coming from both sides. So far, the weakness has been the RG and on occasion, the RT. Chilo has always been inconsistent.

Our blitz pick up was worse last year with Heittman at Center.
Probably a really counter productive move to pull the rug out from under Baas in my estimation. He's progressing; the guy to his immediate right has regressed basically back to where he was at this time last year. Heitmann (when he's fully fit) or Snyder (right F'n now) for Rachal is the right move imho.

With Heitmann we get better pass protection, better recognition, more mobility, much needed experience in between 2 guys who really need it and while I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one, I'll bet he's a better run blocker than Rachal at this point in his career as well. Don't under estimate technical ability or the luxury of being able to fire off the ball without having to be the one who snaps it.

With Snyder we don't lose anything, but gain some veteran leadership and I think more of a nasty attitude. Not the best feet when he plays Tackle, but I don't see his footwork hurting us when he's playing interior again (where he belongs). His comfort factor should go up immensely playing Guard again so I'd expect to see a completely different Adam Snyder from the past.

More than anything I think Chilo's just not mean enough. Usually dudes with girl names are nasty sob's He clearly wasn't teased enough as a kid...

...but none of it matters cuz Mike the mafuggin mule has made up his mind that he wants the young lineman to learn how to play this year even though we have better veteran options on the bench...WHATEVER MIKE, WHAT THE FUDGE EVER!!! His team, his ass on the line, his way right...putz!

Share 49ersWebzone