LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

So Singletary will go down with Smith!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
I prayed he learned something from Nolan/Hostler/Raye, btu I guess he is sealing his fate to Alex also. Not to bash but if nothing else his play does not push the offense to be better so in my opinion not a leader...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/552642/alex-smith

None of those coaches failed because of AS, they fail because they all sucked.

Smith sucks. It's been six years and he still hasn't proved ANYTHING. Yeah, I understand he was dealt a bad hand, but the organization has to know when to throw in the cards. I don't think BW can resurrect his career at this point.
I have been arguing for years that the pressure to keep Smith is probably coming from the ownership.

I don't think these coaches have had much of a choice here.

This is just my guess obviously.
Originally posted by danimal:
I have been arguing for years that the pressure to keep Smith is probably coming from the ownership.

I don't think these coaches have had much of a choice here.

This is just my guess obviously.

I think it was McCloughan and that is why McCloughan sent Hill packing. After that, we were already committed to Alex Smith.
Originally posted by rawdel:
I prayed he learned something from Nolan/Hostler/Raye, btu I guess he is sealing his fate to Alex also. Not to bash but if nothing else his play does not push the offense to be better so in my opinion not a leader...

Smith sucks. It's been six years and he still hasn't proved ANYTHING. Yeah, I understand he was dealt a bad hand, but the organization has to know when to throw in the cards. I don't think BW can resurrect his career at this point.

Has been six solid years of healthy starting though?

Alex Smith has seen one full season without injury or interference in his six seasons with the 49ers. Smith has attempted 1323 passes in his career. It took Steve Young eight years to attempt as many passes before the 49ers gave him an opportunity to start full-time.

I understand your frustration, but using the six year argument makes you look foolish.
Singletary is always preaching, literally, about team work, how one player isn't more important than any other and they're all equal. What does it say to the team that any player can lose his job due to poor performance except Alex Smith?
Nolan threw Smith under the bus and might have ruined his career with how he handled the shoulder separation. Singletary isn't going about this anywhere near the same way.

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Oct 7, 2010 at 11:14:44 ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Singletary is always preaching, literally, about team work, how one player isn't more important than any other and they're all equal. What does it say to the team that any player can lose his job due to poor performance except Alex Smith?

Who honestly thinks Alex Smith has been the most disappointing of the 22 starters? The only reason anyone might think this is because he is front and center when the cameras are on. As for guys who have played worse, I'd say Rachal, Staley, Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, (passes to the rookies), Goldson, Haralson, have all played worse than Smith. When Smith has been put in the formation he excels in, he has delivered. His shortcomings are tied to Singletary's stubborn approach more than anything.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

Who honestly thinks Alex Smith has been the most disappointing of the 22 starters? The only reason anyone might think this is because he is front and center when the cameras are on. As for guys who have played worse, I'd say Rachal, Staley, Crabtree, Davis, Morgan, (passes to the rookies), Goldson, Haralson, have all played worse than Smith. When Smith has been put in the formation he excels in, he has delivered. His shortcomings are tied to Singletary's stubborn approach more than anything.

He's making rookie mistakes at this juncture of his career. He is simply too inconsistent and he will bring down Singletary if not already. Sure, Singletary is not the answer either given how he's handled the first few weeks, but Smith has failed miserably in leading this offense.

You don't make mistakes like taking an intentional grounding play and move us out of FG range.

You just don't do that after six years especially on the same damn team!

Every squad has had a part in failures:

Clements on D against Atl
A. Smith on O against Sea, NO, KC AND Atl
K. Paymah on ST against NO

Out of all the things to be consistent in, Alex!!!!!! Interceptions! At least one a game!

Sea-2
NO-2
KC-1
Atl-2

Wow!!!!

That's whats losing our games, man. His consistent interceptions!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Singletary will go down on Smith.

More appropriately, I think Singletary will take Smith down with him.

Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by rawdel:

Has been six solid years of healthy starting though?

Alex Smith has seen one full season without injury or interference in his six seasons with the 49ers. Smith has attempted 1323 passes in his career. It took Steve Young eight years to attempt as many passes before the 49ers gave him an opportunity to start full-time.

I understand your frustration, but using the six year argument makes you look foolish.

Any argument when coupled with facts is not foolish, and for you to say it is makes you foolish.
Originally posted by ninertico:

He's making rookie mistakes at this juncture of his career. He is simply too inconsistent and he will bring down Singletary if not already. Sure, Singletary is not the answer either given how he's handled the first few weeks, but Smith has failed miserably in leading this offense.

You don't make mistakes like taking an intentional grounding play and move us out of FG range.

Out of all the things to be consistent in, Alex!!!!!! Interceptions! At least one a game!

Sea-2
NO-2
KC-1
Atl-2

Wow!!!!

Steve Young was right on the money yesterday during his KNBR interview when he said that Smith has not played up to the standard needed to win in this league. C'mon Jed!

Sea-2
NO-2
KC-1
Atl-2

Wow!!!!

Steve Young was right on the money yesterday during his KNBR interview when he said that Smith has not played up to the standard needed to win in this league. C'mon Jed!

And, He's not been held accountable for his poor performance either.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Sea-2
NO-2
KC-1
Atl-2

Wow!!!!

And, He's not been held accountable for his poor performance either.

Both go hand in hand. That's why Singletary's decision to stay with Alex is perplexing at least, but who else does he have? Carr?

As Tim K. said in his column, Singletary bet the farm on Smith.

He just may lose it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think everyone knows this is it for Alex. Even if he improves the rest of the season, I think management needs to cut ties and start fresh. If Alex starts to stink it up again I don't see how Singletary keeps him in there. This is really Scott's and Nolan's guy, not Singletary's so he shouldn't wait to pull the plug on Smith and save his job for another season.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 7, 2010 at 13:16:54 ]
Share 49ersWebzone